Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default "Underground" Atkins

I know there are some (many?) posters on this site who follow the Atkins WOE exactly as described in DANDR. But there are also many, many little tweaks and variations on the diet, and I also think there is an acceptance that for most the rate of weight loss will not be nearly as fast as what is implied in the book, at least after the first 3 months or so. What I'm trying to say is that the community on this site seems to have collectively formulated a somewhat different view of losing weight on Atkins than presented in DANDR. Does anyone else feel this way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:52

Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well...sorta. DANDR is written so everyone can do this WOL. As time progresses, and we start learning new and different methods, foods, drinks, etc... that we can have and still lose weight, I believe we all will accept that. After all, we still are losing weight!

It is most definitely not a sin to stray away from DANDR a little, but that is, as we all know, the absolute best way to get a strong basis for our WOL.

I had Atkins shakes on Induction (UH-OH...NOT ON THE "ALLOWED" FOODS LIST-I MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP AND GAIN ALL MY WEIGHT BACK) lol

I had Atkins Ketch-A-Tomato on Induction (SO SUE ME)

Guess what? I'm still down almost 30 el bees, had to tighten my belt 2 spots thinner, and feel better than ever. Anyone object?

That's the beauty of this -- all the variations
that still work for us while we lose weight -- whether or not it is in DANDR.

Just my $.02
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:01

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah, I think about this sometimes, too. Altho the forum is a godsend (please don't get me wrong!!) I know that I stray BECAUSE of the forum sometimes. Maybe I'm reading a recipe that isn't meant for my level and I make it and eat it anyway. Especially the dessert stuff! Also, pork rinds are not mentioned in DANDR and don't get me started on the LC products out there now!

I've decided that, starting today, I'm going right back to STRICT induction, exactly by the book, to jumpstart my weightloss again.

I agree that DANDR has to be tweaked to individual people and I've gone astray of your question (sorry ). It would be interesting to hear what Dr. A. would have said about what we all do
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:18

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I think for the most part Dr. Atkins intended for followers of this woe to mold it to their individual tastes, at least after the first 2 weeks. That's the beauty of it, really. And I don't think he necessarily puts on about how fast you're going to lose. He does say that the closer you get to goal, whether you stay at induction level carbs or not, the slower loss will be. The examples he uses don't seem to be realistic, but he does talk about slower loss, platues, etc. Also...the examples he uses are his own patients. There is a huge difference in doing a woe with the Dr. who created it and doing it by just reading his book. You may be right about the collective view of this site being different than what Atkins wrote about in the book...but for me, what he wrote has worked so far...I haven't done much tweaking and I've been happy with the results. I just wish I had followed the carb ladder sooner.

Another thought...The impression I get from this site is that there are many people on here who haven't even read his book(s)...they read his website and then come here with any questions. So, of course, if you haven't read DANDRE you are going to end up tweaking because you really don't understand the woe...and that could affect how you lose. If I hadn't read DANDRE and come to an understanding about how sugar effects my body and how the woe not only helps that, but fixes it...I would not have stuck with it as long as I have. It really isn't just about weight loss...It really is about being healthy. I have to remind myself of this too....so timely thoughts, Quest.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:35

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Nikkil, trying forbidden recipes? Shame on you! Just teasing you because I'm sooooooo lazy when it comes to cooking and I admire all of you who take the time to cook these great meals.

Some of the recipes I see on this site look so wonderful, but by the time I get home from work I'm too tired and I end up popping some fish in the microwave. About the biggest thing I've attempted this week is a three egg omelette, and even then, it ends up being more of a vegetable 3 scrambled egg concoction because I'm too impatient to wait for an omelette to cook on its own and I end up stirring it around! In fact, almost every time I've cheated has been because I only had whole foods in the house and I wanted something fast and didnt feel like cooking.

Just on a funny note, my mom and stepdad started Atkins a few weeks ago so I gave them the book. They've both lost weight and they are doing well with it but I don't think either of them ever read the book I gave them. I'm saying this because for the ENTIRE induction period my mom called me several times a day saying, "am I allowed to have this, am I allowed to have that?" I guess she's fortunate that she has a daughter who DID read the book...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:37

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Oh and just FYI, I DID try to fob her off on this forum, thinking maybe she would join and bug you guys with her questions too instead of calling me all the time, but her computer is on the fritz.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 12:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quest-- excellent point. I agree that some things kind of take on a life of their own here.

My concern with this is when newbies, even the ones who HAVE read the book come in and are more confused than ever. I've seen an innocent question about snacks turn into a lecture on the evils of aspartame and "frankenfoods" and spins out until the poor newbie is afraid to eat ANYTHING....

It's always interesting to hear what works/doesn't work for others, but I do feel certain things have become almost urban legend around the boards.

It's such an individual thing and I agree that tweaking the plan is necessary for a lot of people, though. I was doing Atkins, but with a few adjustments earlier in the year. After a couple of people took it upon themselves to PM me that I wasn't doing ATKINS if I ate what I did, I changed my plan under my avatar to "My own" to avoid the ruckus. I'm now repeating Atkins induction as written...maybe I'm safe now.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 12:09

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I think this is what is so wonderful about DANDR. After the first 2 weeks of induction, the plan is made so you can follow the book and tweek it to suit you. Atkins covers so well that for some dairy will cause problems, so those people will need to tweek the plan to get what they need without cheese. He covers the problems some have with nuts, gluten intolerance etc so there is no one menu/style that fits every single person. DANDR seems to address the fact that it is a woe and not a diet and that it is a change intended for life. The main thing I see from other members is that YMMV and what works for one isn't always perfect for another and what slows one down may have no negative effect on someone else. I enjoy the understanding and support I get from the members here who are so kind and generous with their experiences. To me, reading and following DANDR gives one a tremendous amount of freedom in making this a healthy woe for life. Nice thread Quest.
Marie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Although I eat my fair share of meat, I am a big veggie and lc/low glycemic fruit eater. I know that I eat more varieties than many on this or any other diet because I love them. I see many who don't eat their veggies like they should but that is just MHO. I don'y use the skakes or bars but I do eat the lc candy or other goodies on occasion. Everyone is so different and this diet can be molded to fit everyone, even vegetarians.

It is a lot like driving. We learn the correct way to park, pass and drive the speed limit, but do we adhere to those things once we get our license and increase our experience?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:47
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57

It is a lot like driving. We learn the correct way to park, pass and drive the speed limit, but do we adhere to those things once we get our license and increase our experience?

Well said.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 21:14
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
I think this is what is so wonderful about DANDR. After the first 2 weeks of induction, the plan is made so you can follow the book and tweek it to suit you. Atkins covers so well that for some dairy will cause problems, so those people will need to tweek the plan to get what they need without cheese. He covers the problems some have with nuts, gluten intolerance etc so there is no one menu/style that fits every single person. DANDR seems to address the fact that it is a woe and not a diet and that it is a change intended for life. The main thing I see from other members is that YMMV and what works for one isn't always perfect for another and what slows one down may have no negative effect on someone else. I enjoy the understanding and support I get from the members here who are so kind and generous with their experiences. To me, reading and following DANDR gives one a tremendous amount of freedom in making this a healthy woe for life. Nice thread Quest.
Marie

Thank you Marie, for typing all that out so I don't have too . I do agree that we should be able to follow GUIDE LINES to find out what works. We are all different individuals.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 21:51
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:

I'm new to LCF, but not LC way of life but what is DANDR???? I haven't picked up all the lingo yet...sorry.
Thanks!!
~Becky
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 21:54
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:

oh wait is it, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? Gosh, I feel like a ding bat. LOL

~Becky
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 22:04

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

"The Underground Atkins Nutritional Approach"...
T.U.N.A

HAHHHAHAHAHA!!!

i'm doing TUNA!

but seriously... I'm sure if Dr. Atkins were alive and there was a Q&A session... he'd give an answer along the lines that the nutritional approach can be modified in a way to suit an individual... not all of us are built the same... so as you progress, you'll learn more and more till the "PRINCIPLE" of Atkins becomes second nature and gets molded into your way of thinking
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

mine is fine tuned for me, but i still give atkins the creidt
for all my loses...... heck no honey i aint cheating !
hey rice looking good boy! i just been toning so far pushups, dips, curls, rows, squats, and abs. im cutting up can see them abs great feeling!