Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 01:00
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%
Default Double Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake

I made this the other day (actually about a month ago. It was a struggle, but I managed to make it last for a week!!

Simplified recipe follows. In keeping with the recipe posting rules, the relevant instructions, with my own additions and deletions, were gleaned from here (www.lowcarb,ca):
and from here(www.lowcarbfriends.com):

CRUST
1 1/2 cups whole almonds
3 packets splenda
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I uses Hersheys)
3 tablespoons butter

-In blender, process almonds as much as the blender will allow. It should be finely ground, like meal, but just starting to "cream".
-Add Splenda and cocoa, pulse until mixed in thoroughly.
-Melt butter.
-Transfer nut mixture to medium sized bowl (
you'll probably have to take apart the blender hopper to get it out...), and drizzle with melted butter, tossing with a fork to coat.
-Spray a 10-in springform pan with cooking spray or brush with some oil,
and press nut mixture onto bottom, and partway up the sides.
-Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes (do not overcook as this will make the crust taste burnt!). Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
-While that's happening . . .

FILLING
8 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup splenda
16 ounces cream cheese
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream

-Place chocolate in the top of a double boiler and melt over hot water, or place in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on medium for 2 to 3 minutes or until
melted, let cool.
-In a mixing bowl, mix the cheese and splenda until blended.
-Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
-Blend in chocolate and sour cream.
-Scrape into the already baked chocolate almond crust.
-Bake in the middle of a preheated 325F oven for 35 minutes or until the outer
edge is set and the inner centre is still glossy (original calls for 300F, which I don't trust, especially with my oven!, and I baked it about 38 min)
-Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar, and let cool in the oven for 1 hour longer.
-Chill (in Refrigerator)
-When completely cooled, and ready to serve, remove pan sides.

COMMENTS:
I used some freshly thawed blueberries for a topping (it needed it!--otherwise the chocolate flavor was truly overpowering--mmmph, gulp, good, though, to me at least, and to all females that tried it--the unsophistocated males--besides myself--that tried it thought it was awful, but with the caveat that they had never HAD chocolate cheesecake before!!). Next time I will use just 4oz baking chocolate instead of the 8 that the recipe called for. Or 1-1/2 cups Splenda. But since Splenda is so much more expensive than unsweetened chocolate I think I'll try the first alternative.

Last edited by Azraelle : Sat, Mar-13-04 at 01:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:21
Midas in reverse

Figured I'd add the carb counts for the above recipe (assuming 1 cup frozen blueberries for topping):
Item Total Carbs
Crust 32.8 g
Filling 84.0 g
Topping 14.8 g
Total 131.6 g

Assuming 12 slices (trust me, you won't want any more at a sitting!):
~11 grams carbohydrate per slice
Assuming 16 slices (given the size of the springform pan, very possible):
~8.25 grams per slice
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 11:53

Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Azraelle, thanks for the recipe! Think I might try it sometime.

BTW I LOVE your avatar! I've never watched Inuyasha but I think he's pretty darn cute. Have you seen Rurouni Kenshin? I'm a huge anime fan!!

Karin
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 03:42
Midas in reverse

My son turned me on to Inuyasha. I created the avatar in photoshop from a larger image I found on the internet. I have never seen Rurouni Kenshin, but spent a couple hours reading up on it today after you mentioned it. I will see if I can find a few episodes on KaZaA tonight--it sounded interesting. I noted from your profile that you like SciFi. I am a big fan of Anne Mccaffrey, Andre Norton, Elizabeth Moon, David Weber, and an offbeat fantasy author --Emma Bull, author of Finder (well worth the read, if you can find it).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 17:32

Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Azraelle, let me know what you think of Kenshin -- it can be silly and fun at times, but also serious -- it just depends on the episode.

As for science fiction -- I loved Anne McCaffrey's books for a long long time -- but eventually decided to find new reading material instead of just rereading. The harper series where Menolly is first introduced is still one of my favorite books ever.

I'll keep an eye out for that Emma Bull book -- always looking for new (good) authors. In return, I highly recommend Orson Scott Card -- he is an amazing writer. He wrote a lot, but the best is Ender's Game, IMO.

My apologies to those whose thread got hijacked!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 02:03
Midas in reverse

Since I started this thread I don't care. I don't know how I managed to leave out Orson Scott Card--must be because I don't have any of his books right this minute, but I used to. I have read all the Ender series, I think, including the offshoot about Bean. It gives, if I recall the character name correctly, Petra a bigger role. With exception of Andre Norton, the recurring thread in most of the authors that I enjoy is that most tend to write about courageous females--heroines, if you will, with some sort of unusual twist.

Contemporary fiction that I enjoy--anything by Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell, Iris Johansen, and the sherriff Joanna Brady series by J.A.Jance, as well as most of what I've read by Robin Cook. For something really odd (at least it's probably odd that you find a guy, me, to be exact, liking it) is the "The Cat Who ..." (solved some mystery with an odd title) series by Lillian Jackson Braun. I drove truck for a couple of years, and I used to rent audio books of anything that sounded interesting at each truck stop to stay awake with--I needed something "talking at" me, not music, and the cheap trucking company I worked for refused to upgrade the AM radio to one that wasn't bothered by the noise interference put out by the deisel engine, so talk radio was out--the upshot was that I became rather "well-read" at least with contemporary authors--they don't do audio books with the classic authors much.

I wish that Anne Mccaffrey had written more, but that is what got me interested in Elizabeth Moon (and for that matter Mercedes Lackey) who co-authored a few of her newer novels. They don't write fast enough either!! Got any other recommendations??