Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:21

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Atkins vs SBD

I wanted to get some opinions. I am on my second week on atkins and things are going fine but I am interested in adding back in whole grains and wheat after induction so I was thinking of switching to the sbd...My question after an Atkins induction is it possible to go directly into phase 2 of the sbd?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 19%

Since induction and Phase 1 are very similar, if not the same (except for the fats and the V-8 juice), I would say that you could go to phase 2. You should read the SBD book so you understand the transition. It is very gradual. Also, SBD is much lower fat than Atkins. So no cream cheese or heavy cream on SBD, but it is a far better thing to have a piece of toast or fruit with the morning eggs, IMO.

You might be able to get some hints on the South Beach Diet website, but you won't get far for free, sorry. They want your money before they'll impart any real information. But you can get some direction there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 16:11

BF:

Thanks indigo. I am planning on buying the book before the end of this week. I will be out of induction then and I am looking for direction
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 19:15

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I did 3 weeks induction - 1 week Atkins, 2 weeks South Beach. But make sure you go shopping before you switch - I had too many ATkins foods in the house that were too fat initially.

Do go to the South Beach site, put in your weight and email and let them tell you that you have to loose it, and then don't register. Your email will make you on their mailing list, so you get daily recipes for free, but also changes they made to the diet. I found many useful. But borrow the book! If you are a good cook, I hesitate to say buy it. I have done exactly 1 recipe from the book (veggie quiche), and otherwize most of the recipes are wasted. The chapters are very readable though. I wish someone would print an essentials version! Don't buy good fat good carb - a cheap little thing - without reading the chapters.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:24

BF:

Hey Monika or whoever else may know this answer

Thanks for responding to my thread about switching from Atkins to southbeach. After making the switch do you think it is essential to do a week of phase one. Also on your initial shopping spree what did you buy? Unfortunately I bought the book..but I am enjoying the read and I like having something concrete in my hands
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 184/174/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

The more I read about the SBD, the more I think it may suit my WOE. I would like to know if fruit is more allowable on this one than Atkins. I really do miss my fruit and also I like the idea of less saturated fat intake on the SBD.
If I decide on the SBD, what exactly is the name of the book I should buy?
Some days, I feel very fat laden and surely this cannot be healthy??
TIA, Jean
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:06

BF:

The book is called the South Beach Diet. I recentlky bought it. You can have more fruit on the SBD in phase II. In phase II of ATkins you are only allowed a 5 grams increase of carbs per week and those carbs should come form veggies. On the sbd you introduce new carbs slowly but if yoy want fruit to be your new introduction then so be it. That is why I have decided to switch to the SBD fpor phase II.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 22:55

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 148/131/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi,
I'm new to SBD and this board. I'm so glad you posted this question because I have similar ones. I am in OWL on Atkins (started Atkins in July) and thinking of switching to SB. I posted questions about making the switch on another SB board and haven't gotten a response yet. I'll let you know what I hear from them about making the switch. Anyway, the answers to your questions from the people on this board have been very helpful. Thanks everyone and hello from Connecticut!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 23:48
Registered Member

BF:

I asked as I have neither the Atkins nor the SBD book and as they are expensive to buy here, I thought I would find out more about the differences in food before buying one or the other. I will follow this thread with interest and hope to read others' views. In the meantime, I will stay with the low carb. Jean
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

Mishimc, if you want a good overview to SBD, check here:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...80,5023,00.html

You don't get all the background info, but you should be able to get the general idea.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:04

BF:

Both diets are very similar. I have both books. With Atkins you stick to fatter meats...You can fry things...have chicken wings...SBD you use leaner meats and you can add back in good carbs faster. Both diets say stay away from white things...flour, potatoes, rice, SBD is just more lenient about what you can add and why. I am looking forwrd to the switch. I WANT CEREAL!...lol
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:41

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I also read both books and tried both - Atkins twice each time only briefly. Some basic ideas are similar but some major concepts are not. It seems that to be in ketosis is a big condition for Atkins diet to work, whereas you aren;t supposed to be in ketosis. Wow is right that SBD is more lenient in carbs - but less is fat! You add more fruit and whole grain carbs earlier than in Atkins. I feel in phase 1 and maintenance they are similar, in between I feel Atkins is still low carb, high fat, high protein, and SBD is more low carb, low fat, high fiber, medium protein. But I also have to warn you and Wow - my experience with adding the allowed carbs is that if you are not very very careful, it doens't work - essentially I can only keep loosing by keeping close to phase 1 levels - or close to Atkins rather than SBD levels of carbs. Wow - how is it going for you?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

Most interesting to read the replies on here and I thank you all for your input. As I said before, I was enjoying all the saturated fats I was eating but felt saturated myself at times and am sure that would not do my arteries much good.
Anyway I have now won an auction on ebay for the SBD book and also the good fats, whatever guide with it.
Now I have to wait about two weeks for it to come from the US which is a bit sad - I want to read it NOW and get started on the right foods.
For now, I will stick to a plan similar to the one that is written up on the link that was mentioned above. Thank you to Kimmerz for posting it up.
I am definitely going to stick to low fat dairy products and see what happens.
Jean
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 07:24

BF:

Monika, so far so good. As you know I am doing Atkind induction. I only have Sunday and Monday left. I am disappointed that the scale did not move this morning. I have been told that the weight I have loss so far is water weight which is even worst because when I add back in carbs...oh bot what will happen.

Mishmic, If you want to get started there is a thread in this forum called phase I and phase II. The thread list actually whats in the book for you to eat. The thread is under the south besch forum...where we are now. I think I might buy the good carb bad carb book. I keep hearing mix feelings about it but I would love to be equipped with all the information. i will start SBD Tuesday. i wish I had bought those sticks so I know if i am in ketosis.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

For those of you who have tried both diets, is your weight loss the same on both? If you think SBD is healthier, would you stick to it even if you lost weight more slowly than on Atkins?