Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:32
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Finally managed to get a hold of some - I have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. It'd be better if they were lower carb, but the Reflex ones which I'll probably start to get when the offer runs out (I think someone said next Thursday) are 1 carb per serving in other flavours.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:24

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have also bought all three now. They differ. I think the chocolate one is really good and makes excellent shakes. The strawberry is foul (but I'll eat it now I've bought it). I've just opened the vanilla and tried to make my usual flaxmeal porridge with it instead of my usual soya protein: total disaster! It tastes OK but it's gone into big cloggy lumps.

Let us know which one you prefer Doogie.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:32
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

I have also re-stocked whilst the offer is on at H&B ... bought another tub of the chocolate and a tub of vanilla ... I am not really a fan of strawberry flavours (only like the real thing!) so didnt bother to buy any!!!

Have yet to try the vanilla, although will give it a whirl before I go to bed ... I do love the chocolate flavour, although I also experimented with it with disatrious results!!! Thought that it might be nice as a hot chocolate ... wrong!!! It went all lumpy and hideous ... yucky!!! Makes me want to gag just thinking about it!!!!

Lindy
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 13:01

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It might work if you make it cold with a blender as usual and then warm it in the microwave?

I buy cocoa powder and make myself a cup of cocoa most evenings. It's better than so called hot chocolate anyway.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:58

BF:

Hmmmm.... I can't really say for sure which one I like best! I've generally just been using all 3 equally (well I got the vanilla on it's own first so that got hit hardest first) - normally just whisking with either water or water and double cream to make a nice milkshake, although the strawb I made last night when I'd ran out of double cream wasn't nearly as good as with cream in it.

If I manage to get a hold of some linseeds at the weekend (that's what you said flaxseed was in this country, yeah?) I'll possibly try to make breakfast cereal stuff, if not, I'll order some more Keto brand stuff soon
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:18

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I bought the Vanilla today (got the last tub in the branch ) and am planning on trying it tomorrow.

Question: has anyone made a shake using soya milk instead of water and cream? If so, was it OK? Thanks
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

I thought the soya milk actually added something rather nice to the taste of the chocolate shake. I can't remember about the vanilla, but I imagine it will be fine.

I tried soya milk after I decided to lay off the cow milk every other day, which had been giving me catarrh problems - not good for a professional singer. Anyway, soon after that I started experimenting with water instead, and I dropped the soya milk. I was only using the shakes before and after heavy weights workouts (BFL), so I was adding some carbs (dextrose) which actually improved the flavour very much. You could try some sucralose. And all of the shakes, especially if added to only water, improve with a little cream, so if it's only the lactose you are avoiding you could do this too.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:51

BF:

Thanks, suleika I think I'll try two variations, one with water and a little cream and the other with soya milk and decide which suits me best. I bought the soya milk several months ago and it's been sitting in my fridge unopened staring at me reproachfully everytime I go in there ever since I can't even remember why I bought it, but it seems a shame not to use it
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:13

BF:

Let us know how you get on with whey & soy milk SylviaUK - I've only ever bought soy milk once, took one drink and poured it down the sink! But if it's better than water + cream for whey shakes, then I'll get it instead.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:16

BF:

I will, doogieb. I haven't tried either yet though - decided to let the unfortunate effects of my first Atkins bar disappear before introducing my poor insides to another unfamiliar product

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogieb
Let us know how you get on with whey & soy milk SylviaUK - I've only ever bought soy milk once, took one drink and poured it down the sink! But if it's better than water + cream for whey shakes, then I'll get it instead.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:47
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

I have tried the vanilla and I like that too, although have to admit that the chocolate is my fav ... have started to make mine much thicker, and they are dangerously good!!!

I think I will stick to making them quite watery so they last longer and are not as more'ish!!!!

I make mine up with water, and even a dash of cream (I use whipping) makes all the difference!!!

Lindyx