Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Great post Orchid!

I'd add one more thing. Whenever I know I am going to be gone for a while, or too busy to post, I usually make a note of it in my journal so that my online friends don't worry about me. I really appreciate it when other people do that as well. I worry about the people on the forum just like I worry about my friends in "real life" if I don't know why they have suddenly disappeared!

One thing that Orchid said is really important -- if you reply to someone in your own journal, they often don't see it. Going back to that person's journal to reply is a better way to start a dialogue.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi everybody,

I've noted the suggestions to Sticky this thread. However, I think the discussion is so terrific, I'd really like to move it over to the General LC board so all members can benefit.

Whaddya say???

Doreen

(p.s. - we'll leave a redirect link here in TDC so folks can find it if it's moved, and your subscription links will work just fine too )
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:32

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Sounds great, Doreen.

Orchid, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I was also confused about what the journals where for and whether they where valuable (and they sure are).
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:55

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

That works Doreen! I wasn't sure where to put it exactly and since the TDC is kind of "home" for me I put it here.

I hope we can keep working to help newbies find their niche here! The forum is one of the most valuable tools I have in my weight loss effort.

Orchid
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nice etiquette guidelines.

I'd add this, also: remember that your journal is part of the greater *public* forum, so be cautious of what you reveal about yourself. It's never truly private.

I think I would add, too, that you don't HAVE to treat your journal as your social center. I don't use mine for that, unless people happen to drop by. You can use it whatever way you'd like.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

i agree as well!!

i love the journaling program offered on this board!! i have made several new friends, as i am on the computer all the time due to schoolwork, and tho you can't see them in real life, they are still people and they do care! it's so nice to be able to give and recieve support. the journal has helped me through many difficult spots in my life!! i hope everyone decides to start one -- they are so worth it and they really enhance the low carb lifestyle!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 20:19
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Great thread, Orchid! I remember when I first joined, and very timidly posted in a journal of someone who lived near me....asking about a store she had mentioned. Thought I was intruding on something private. I'm so glad she was a welcoming and open person.

I'd never been on any other forum before, so didn't understand what this one was all about. It can be overwhelming.....I try to get back to everyone who posts a message in my journal, but sometimes that takes a lot of time. Even if I miss someone, I appreciate each and every message.

I'm a "written communicator"...Not everyone is. And I agree that once in a while, albeit rarely, there is someone here that I simply feel I have nothing in common with, and with whom I don't wish to start up a correspondence. Somehow it all comes out in the wash.

I tend to become a bit turned off by those who use a smilie for every third word in each post. They're very cute, but don't add much "meat" in my opinion. Could be an age difference. I'm much more interested in what someone is thinking than in their smilie repertoire.

I wonder how often your friend posted to other members' journals. You are right about the element of reciprocation.....it doesn't need to be every day, or every week, but an occasional nod back makes all the difference.

Thanks for bringing this subject up,

Kay
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 20:32

Stats: 240/190/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thankyou Orchid, this has helped me understand the whole journal thing and not fear offending anyone or doing anything inappropriate. You make me want to start one. Thanks again!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Orchid, the suggestions you listed are invaluable! I had to learn many of them the hard way. I used to be a whinner about no one visiting my journal. I used to feel so alone but it was a counsilor who told me that if you feel isolated and uncared for, you need to go help as many of your friends as you can. Expect none in return and you will feel better. Its so true.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:57

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

This is such a great post! I've met some truly special people in just the short time I've been here. I look forward to hearing from them in my journal, and I answer every person who takes the time to read about my boring life and comment and encourage me.

I hope your friend comes back and jumps back into posting.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 17:26

Stats: 245/243/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Smile thanks

I'm new to this forum. I registered several weeks ago, but haven't had the nerve to write. I've been reading alot of posts and I was tring to make head from tales on how this thing works. You guys gave great tips!
Big Thanks
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 09:42
MySpaceBarSticks.

Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

This is such a great thread. I wonder if the newbies can find it here?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 09:41

Stats: 320.0/282.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Smile Great Thread

I 'm with Rosey1 - I think the newbeis would really benefit from this sticky and maybe it should be repeated in the Journal/Bootcamp board AND the Newbies Questions. Just a thought! I only figured it out for myself a couple of days ago. I'm sorry I've been missing out all this time!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 13:51
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

This board and my journal have kept me on track and have brought so many great people into my life. I agree with all those points and think that this thread was an excellent idea!

I'm one of those people that just drops in on journal all around the place.. if you note from my Post count.. i like to talk alot
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 07:43

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/230/165 Female 5ft2in
BF:
Progress:

Orchid,
I have been posting Reply's to other Journals not know how the journals worked so i hope i was doing ok-i like visiting with others that have the same problem i deal with everyday, i am in constant worry of my health problem an it is what i eat-everything i put in my month i feel like it is wrong -my blood pressure is high because of what i eat -i am diabetic because of what i eat -i am fat because of what i eat and i don't get enough exercise.Elizabeth-