Sun, Jun-13-04, 11:31
Plan: South Beach-esque
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Just wanted to say it was so helpful how you listed the stuff you tried that did vs. didn't have an impact!
Also, in case anybody's interested, some doc wrote a book called The Carnitine Miracle.
Originally Posted by matty
Just wanted to report what worked for one person (me). I've been stalled for 18 months. I'm not on any meds. I take a multi+anti-oxidants so I figured I was covered. I tried all of the following for about 1 month each:
- increased exercise. No impact. (kept this one going, not just 1 mo.)
- cut out all artificial sweeteners and all processed foods including store mayo. No impact.
- cut out coffee and tea, drank only water. No impact.
- cut out all dairy. No impact.
- went back to induction: GAINED 2 lbs.
- lowered carbs below induction. Got down to 5/day for about 2 weeks, now holding steady at 10-15. No impact.
- fat fast (2 days). No impact.
- cyclic refeeds. No impact.
- Raised fat. No impact
- Lowered calories. No impact.
- Raised calories. No impact.
- cyclic high cal/low cal (all low carb). Slight loss, which came back.
- added coconut oil. No impact.
- thyroid tested: no problem.
Decided to read the damn book again, and lo and behold, practically the first thing Dr. A says is "add l-carnitine". Well Duh! So I started taking 500 mg with each meal, have lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am officially declaring this stall over, and I'm going to hit my head against the wall some more. (Which is good exercise as well.)
Thanks for listening (reading) my long vent at myself!