Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:41

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 0%
Default any people training for marathons?

I'm starting to train for a marathon, my first. I'm starting out really slow and working my way up, probably a 6 month program. If you are would anyone care to start a low carb marathon thread? I need support and i'm very good at giving it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Hi Infiniti,
I will be marathon training this spring also. I have done 4 marathons over the past 9 years, and I have done quite a few half marathons. I'd love to start a low carb marathon thread, as this will be my first really low carb one. So far, I'm doing well, but when the long miles start I will sure need support too.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:02

Talking good to see you

We could use this thread, unless you have a better suggestion. We could post our daily miles, what we ate before and after the runs( general) and how we felt. We could give each other support to go. What type of running program are you following, your own, one from a book? I'm using one from the ny runners book.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

This thread will be fine. The program I follow is with a local running club (Cornbelt)
and the Running Wild marathon training program. I have the schedules on an excel
spreadsheet, I'll send it to you or post it if you like. I'll be starting out training for a half marathon which is in April then going into the full marathon program.
I'm going to start training runs (short) this week.
I've been doing early morning cardio at the gym, and I think that's when I'll do my runs. The weather is finally getting nicer here so I think I can run outside next week.

#5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:25

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi infiniti and starrunner!

I have been pondering marathon training (10K is as far as I've gotten thus far), but I want more muscle mass before I really go for it, because of the potential for muscle loss that happens with these durations. So it's just a matter of time for me.

Anyway, I would be VERY interested to follow your training and experiences for when I'm in better shape to give it a shot. Please do keep this thread going!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:25

Default I will keep up my posting how about you. .

How about you post your workouts here, the number of days you lift and the mileage done on any gym trainers or running yourself? that would help to keep me motivated too. I will be lifting too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 09:50
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know

You know I was thinking about this last night. I have never done anything like this in my life, and I am VERY interested in a marathon, but I do not have the slightest clue how to go about getting the proper information. I live in Iowa, and I am sure that there is not one even close to where I live, but it is a dream of mine, and I have already lost 31 pounds, and this summer I will weigh much less. I have it as a goal to start running, and that is what I will be doing. I think a marathon would be a great motivation for me. Any idea on where I might find info on the upcoming marathons? Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

runnersworld.com has a race finder.
Even if there isn't one in your area, try one at a destination you would like to visit. It adds that extra inspirationa nd excitement to make a trip out of it.
Also, consider buildingup to it by doing a half-marathon. Half-marathons are very doable and much easier to recover from, and also a really good choice if you haven't been running very long.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:38

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Greetings to all fellow runners:-)) I am looking forward to read your experiences.

I have been training for a Marathon. Started to run last January - 46 year old, 35 lbs excess weight, without running experience. I have been following the Runnersworld and Galloway's program. Ran my first half-Marathon in September, two more (under 2 hours) in January. My next goal the Rock&Roll Marathon i nSan Diego in June. My training program from 30 min walk to the Marathon is here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...799#post1742799
I have a day by day account in my gym log.

As was menitoned above, runnersworld.com has a Marathon finder, but you can get info about any other running races from Active.com.

For example here is an Iowa Marathon/half-Marathon:
http://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/home.cfm

Last edited by Galadriell : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 09:23.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:39

BF:

Galadriell-
i'm running that San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon too!
I have talked to others and heard that it is a fast course, rather flat.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:42

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Climbergrl, see you at the start line:-) San Diego is wonderful, the course is wonderful, Rock&Roll is one of the best organized race... So I am sure we both (with tens of thousands others) will have a great time.

My time goal is somewhere between 4:20-4:40 so I will be in that group.
Do you have hotel/motel reservation? Be fast, already many places are full.

Last edited by Galadriell : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 09:23.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:54
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbergrl
runnersworld.com has a race finder.
Even if there isn't one in your area, try one at a destination you would like to visit. It adds that extra inspirationa nd excitement to make a trip out of it.
Also, consider buildingup to it by doing a half-marathon. Half-marathons are very doable and much easier to recover from, and also a really good choice if you haven't been running very long.

Thank you for that info I am seriously VERY interested in this
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:04

BF:

Awesome, Galdriell! I am aiming for just under 4 hours...which is a realistic goal for me. I'll be really close to it though I think I've been running for about 15 years, and done countless half marathons (which is my favorite race, besides triathlon), always wanting to make the step to the full. San Diego running community is pretty great. You can always count on a few elvis impersonators in the race, which is my personal favorite! How can they run 26 miles in that polyester outfit? oh, the chafing!
Luckily I don't need a hotel reservation. My family lives there and it's where I grew up, so I'm excited to have my family cheerleaders there. I've wanted to run that marathon for years but I've always had some sort of injury. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:21
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've done marathons for at least 10 years. Also 50 and 100-mile races. With Atkins I lost some weight but have found I am not running faster. But I'm finding that after the run I don't have the serious muscle soreness that I used to develop. I think for training and racing you must include some carbos or you won't be able to run your best.

While running, carbs are shunted into the muscles without the use of insulin. So I wouldn't forego carbs. If you do, you won't be able to survive a marathon. Just my opinion as a veteran runner.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:05

Default thanks for the advice. . .

I'm posting on another thread my mileage. would you want to join in on that? I'll be posting how i feel and stuff like that. I hope other people join, i need the help and motivation. Thank you for your tidbits. 100 miles? wow i would like to run a 50 some day.