Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 22:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147.4/125 Male 160cm
BF:
Progress: 23%

Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 11:34

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

Got a couple of questions.....I am switching over to GI diet from Atkins. Granted the past week or so I have been doing nothing but working out!
here are my questions

SF jello and SF pudding is a no no?
How can we figure out the GI?
Is there a certian amount of protein and carbs and fats a meal you should have?
Is it okay not to have a carb at every meal?
How much bread (whole wheat) can you have per day? I know it says open faced sandwhiches but what is the daily limit?

Can I have an example of menus?
Also is there a limit on splenda?

How much and how fast has everyone lost?
Thanks----I have read the GI diet book and the Low GI diet revolution. They were both a little different.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 03:00

Plan: initially Atkins, now GL
Stats: 308/201/182 Female 5'11 (72")
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default GL v. GI

hi there - just on the GL again for a moment, I've been doing it for 6 weeks now and it really is to my mind the most simple way to do the lower carb / low glycaemic thing. very helpful website for any low glycaemic questions too - www.dietfreedom.co.uk - works for me anyway.

good luck with all the variations you choose! we're all getting there!! xx Claire
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 08:03

Plan: GI Diet
Stats: 140/140/112 Female 5ft3inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy
Hi AluraD:
The G.I. Diet is working quite well for me. The first two weeks I dropped weight quickly - 8 lbs. I am now in the 3rd week and have dropped 2 more lbs. for a total of 10. The diet is very easy to follow. The green light foods I am allowed to eat during the weight loss phase are varied enough and low-carb enough that I find my cravings for high carbs has been dramatically reduced, yet I can eat enough to keep me satisfied. I am learning to snack on fruit to satisfy hunger. This way of eating is so simple to do, healthy and satisfying that I can see how I could maintain this for the rest of my life. I am not in the clear yet as I have 40 lbs. to go to reach my goal weight but unlike Atkins and CAD which I tried a couple of years ago, I think I can reach my goal weight with this one, even though the results may come a bit slower. I think you will enjoy the simplicity of the plan and how good you will feel about the foods you eat.
Slow but steady.
Quincy.

Hi there,

Well done with your weight loss. I know this diet has a known fact that you wont shed every pound straight away. But you are guaranteed that the slower the weight comes off the longer it stays off. Meaning you wont pile it back on again. I have just started the diet today and so far im not hungry for high gl foods.

Keep up the good work, im sure you'll lose that 40 in no time.

Melissa.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 17:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi all, I haven't yet read this whole thread, but I will. I'm looking for a good WOL for my 19 yr old daughter and am wondering if this one might work for her. She has a lot of weight to lose (morbidly obese), but has some food allergies and food dislikes that make it near impossible for the standard lc plans to work for her. She just can't tolerate a lot of texture in her foods which is a big issue. For example, she gags on salad, can't stand chewing steak, pork, etc.

She's also allergic to eggs and oats (makes it really hard to find a good breakfast!) I suspect if I could get her down to 100-150 carbs per day she would lose weight, but won't kick the cravings. She did try lc at one point, but just couldn't maintain it because of the lack of food choices.

I bought a book awhile ago which has the glycemic index so I can look up the foods. That book wouldn't work for her because she wouldn't take the time to look them up. Is there some guideline #s that work for the red yellow and green concept? Do you think WOL might work for her?

Thanks for your help.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 22:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
Hi all, I haven't yet read this whole thread, but I will. I'm looking for a good WOL for my 19 yr old daughter and am wondering if this one might work for her. She has a lot of weight to lose (morbidly obese), but has some food allergies and food dislikes that make it near impossible for the standard lc plans to work for her. She just can't tolerate a lot of texture in her foods which is a big issue. For example, she gags on salad, can't stand chewing steak, pork, etc.

She's also allergic to eggs and oats (makes it really hard to find a good breakfast!) I suspect if I could get her down to 100-150 carbs per day she would lose weight, but won't kick the cravings. She did try lc at one point, but just couldn't maintain it because of the lack of food choices.

I bought a book awhile ago which has the glycemic index so I can look up the foods. That book wouldn't work for her because she wouldn't take the time to look them up. Is there some guideline #s that work for the red yellow and green concept? Do you think WOL might work for her?

Thanks for your help.

Here is the link to the website.....

http://www.gidiet.com/
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 05:46

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Thanks Lobstergal.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 12:31
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I'm going to buy the book and read it - I've been frustrated with Atkins and just am not sure it's totally right for me!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 10:55

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I just got the book and am considering switching over to it
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 11:21
Just keep swimming

I bought the book last night and read most of it - I also bought the companion book. I like the simplicity of it - it's doesn't go into all that technical jargon! It sounds very reasonable to me, and I'm definitely going to give it a try. I'll be checking back with this thread!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi everyone,ihave just started the gi way of eating but really need some good dessert recipes.I have just reached my goal weight and i never never want to put the weight back on.So would appreciate any good recipe sites or books so the old ways of cooking are gone .
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 22:44
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Try this website ..........

for some GI recipes.

http://www.gidiet.com/
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 07:05
Just keep swimming

Hey Lobstergal, how long have you been doing the GI diet? I've been on some form of low carb forever (it seems), but I never could stick with anything. I've had a great week this week basically following the GI diet principals. It seems very easy and livable, plus I'm feeding my family this way, too! Any tips?
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 07:13
Just keep swimming

Anybody interested in doing a GI diet challenge?
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 09:26
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I've been doing it ever since I got the book two months ago. It is very liveable but I am unfortunately having some issues with cravings that I cannot seem to resolve. I think I have a trigger food somewhere that I cannot for the life of me figure out which it is. I've started tracking what I am eating to see if there are any patterns so I can figure out what is causing my cravings.
I've been slowly feeding my son this way too but with him being veggie phobic it is difficult.

BTW I do not consider the GI Diet to be a lowcarb one because with the fruit, veggies and whole grains we eat it isn't a low carb diet unless you want it to be. I consider it more of a 'good carb' diet because we get our carbs from whole grain sources instead of refined foods. I do keep away from anything with wheat and corn however because they just makes me feel ill.
I also do not use the basmati rice as suggested in the book. I tried it and do not like it so I stick with wild rice or brown rice.

What do you have in mind for a GI Diet challenge?