Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:39

Plan: ckd
Stats: 188/130/120 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Help! Are my #'s right?

Hello,
I am new to the forum and ckd. I have been low carbing for almost a year and a half. I just completed the first week of ckd and tonight is my first carb up. I am a little confused as to how many carbs I am supposed to be having for the carb up, and over what period of time. The calculator tells numbers over 48 hrs, and I have read many things suggesting 36 hrs and some say go for 24 hrs. Here is what I have going on right now, please let me know if I should adjust anything.
mon-Fri
130 lbs, 5'7 Female bf% 22-24?? maybe
1500 cals.
102g P
85g F
carbs under 30
Fri afternoon 50 carbs from fruit
2 hrs later depletion w/o
100g dextrose, 50 P shake
Then spread 410 carbs, and 102g P and 46 g F over 36hrs ? or 24 hrs
High GI carbs- then Low GI carbs

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:10

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Looks good to me....experiment with the carb up to find what works best for you....

Ive never done a 48 hour carb up, usually only 24 hours from Friday night until Saturday night...

I hope this helps, this forum has been too quiet lately!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:24

BF:

Hi KC,
Thanks for the reply. Sure seems like no body is ckding anymore. Sure is lonely!
My carb up went well, I thought I would die through the depletion w/o. I carbed up for 24 hrs , was very careful and counted everything. My workout was great the next day. The only problem is it is 3 days later and I am still not back in ketosis. Now I am wondering if a TKD would be a better choice, or just lengthen the time between carb ups. Dont know.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej
Hi KC,
Thanks for the reply. Sure seems like no body is ckding anymore. Sure is lonely!
My carb up went well, I thought I would die through the depletion w/o. I carbed up for 24 hrs , was very careful and counted everything. My workout was great the next day. The only problem is it is 3 days later and I am still not back in ketosis. Now I am wondering if a TKD would be a better choice, or just lengthen the time between carb ups. Dont know.

Well since nobody else is around it looks like we will just have to help each other.....

Great to hear your carb up went well!!!

How often you need to carb up has a TON to do with your current BF percentage, basically the leaner you get the more often you need to carb load. 72 hours after carb load and not in ketosis to me is not a big deal, you could be and just burning all the ketones so the sticks arent registering....

Also in all the reading Ive done it appears being in ketosis is overrated...Lyle's new book even states that being in ketosis is not that important at all.

A TKD is a great plan, the only drawback is that is doesnt give you a day or 2 of eating over maintenance calories in order to somewhat reset leptin levels. Im currently doing a TKD now after about a month of doing another cyclical diet plan...its working great for me and when I feel my fat loss is slowing down Ill plan a whole day of carb loading.

I hope my rambling made some sense!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 17:44

BF:

I have not gotten Lyles book yet. Which book would you recommend, especially for a female. I am about 22% bf. I would like to get a lower bf and build some muscle. Right now I'm doing a combo of heavy weight training (heavy at least for me) and aerobic light weight high reps (Beachbody's Slim series), I like to workout 6 days a week. I have been low carbing for about a year and 1/2, and find it really hard to get through my workouts . I was hoping Lyle had the answers with some sort of carb cycling. I am wondering also if I should get Body Opus, I missed a copy last night on ebay.
Thank you for being so kind to answer my questions!
Mary Ellen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej
I have not gotten Lyles book yet. Which book would you recommend, especially for a female. I am about 22% bf. I would like to get a lower bf and build some muscle. Right now I'm doing a combo of heavy weight training (heavy at least for me) and aerobic light weight high reps (Beachbody's Slim series), I like to workout 6 days a week. I have been low carbing for about a year and 1/2, and find it really hard to get through my workouts . I was hoping Lyle had the answers with some sort of carb cycling. I am wondering also if I should get Body Opus, I missed a copy last night on ebay.
Thank you for being so kind to answer my questions!
Mary Ellen

If you want to continue with the CKD I would suggest getting his latest book, the Ultimate Diet 2.0. Its bascially taken Bodyopus and his first book and combined the best of all approaches to a CKD.

The CKD is great, you just need to tailor your workout program to fit the plan which I didnt want to do...get all your heavy lifting in during the early part of the week when you are fully loaded with glycogen.

It sounds like you are very motivated so hang in there, let me know if you have any other questions.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:00

BF:

Thanks KC I will get that book.
I have been worried that my workout plan might be a problem. Another reason I wanted to make a change with things is I have been sort of a exercise junkie, lots of cardio, really working hard but not seeing any changes really happening in my body for all that work.
Do you think a ckd would work better, following the workouts he describes? I like incorporating the low weight high rep w/o's because I "think" (not sure) , it will lean out my lower body without building big hulking quads. My quads tend to get to big for my taste with heavy lifting.
The only problem is those workouts are pretty killer, some of them are 78 minutes long non stop muscle burning action. It may just be too much. I am finally back in trace ketosis since my 24 hr carb up ended sat. evening. I am thinking of experimenting with some dextrose candy pre workout if I start to tank soon, and maybe doing a carb up every 2 wks. I still havent dropped the water weight( hope it is water) from the carb up. Do you think that might work?
Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej
Thanks KC I will get that book.
I have been worried that my workout plan might be a problem. Another reason I wanted to make a change with things is I have been sort of a exercise junkie, lots of cardio, really working hard but not seeing any changes really happening in my body for all that work.
Do you think a ckd would work better, following the workouts he describes? I like incorporating the low weight high rep w/o's because I "think" (not sure) , it will lean out my lower body without building big hulking quads. My quads tend to get to big for my taste with heavy lifting.
The only problem is those workouts are pretty killer, some of them are 78 minutes long non stop muscle burning action. It may just be too much. I am finally back in trace ketosis since my 24 hr carb up ended sat. evening. I am thinking of experimenting with some dextrose candy pre workout if I start to tank soon, and maybe doing a carb up every 2 wks. I still havent dropped the water weight( hope it is water) from the carb up. Do you think that might work?
Thanks!

When following a CKD like Bodyopus I feel its VERY important to follow the exercise program so that first of all you are lifting your heaviest and most when carbed up and at the end of the week make sure you deplete enough to supercompensate the muscles. I tried a CKD before while doing my normal 5 day a week lifting split and the results werent as good as they should have been if I had followed the workout suggestions.

As far as your cardio is concerned I would suggest doing HIIT cardio....bascially sprint then walk type work. This is the best type of cardio to do not only for fat loss but also for muscle preservation.

Your idea sounds pretty good as the more I research the more of a fan I become of keeping my normal lifting routine, HIIT cardio, a TKD diet wixed with the CKD by doing a carb load every few weeks or so. So far its been working great.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:57

BF:

Ill give the modified tkd a whirl and see how it goes. Is that what you have been doing and is working well for you?
I was reading on Lyles message board that 24 hr carb loads are not long enough to raise the leptin levels. Someone told me to do 24 hrs, because for a female it could spill over to fat after that. There is so much information it is so hard to get it all straight! I would bet also that things are a bit different for a small woman than for a great big body builder.
Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej
Ill give the modified tkd a whirl and see how it goes. Is that what you have been doing and is working well for you?
I was reading on Lyles message board that 24 hr carb loads are not long enough to raise the leptin levels. Someone told me to do 24 hrs, because for a female it could spill over to fat after that. There is so much information it is so hard to get it all straight! I would bet also that things are a bit different for a small woman than for a great big body builder.
Thanks!

Thats what im doing now, only recently having I started the TKD. For a month before that I was just going LC with a carb load meal every 3 days...

Im going to wait a few weeks before doing a full carb load, keep an eye on my fat loss and temp....when I feel like Im stalling Ill go ahead and carb load in the hopes of jump starting my metabolism again. Ive heard that about Leptin levels as well....Ive also read that even if you do raise them slightly they come back down pretty fast. Oh well, Ill see what happens I guess.

Ive been amazed at how much my gym performance has increased sicne doing the TKD....I take in 50 grams of dextrose around training in the form of a supplement called Phosphagen HP and my strength has been great.

Best of luck to you, feel free to let me know of any other questions!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:14

BF:

I am so glad to hear your performance has improved doing this, it gives me hope it may work for me as well,
lol!
Take care , and thank you again for all of your help!
Mary Ellen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:33

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

KC!!!!

It's good to see you back! I pop in every now and then, and I try to keep up with what's going on in the CKD section, but I'm too busy to post most of the time. (But not too busy to welcome you back!)

How did you manage with the contest in September? I've been ever so curious--a condition made much worse by a lack of info!

I hope to see you around (and to post more) when things slow down in a few months.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex
KC!!!!

It's good to see you back! I pop in every now and then, and I try to keep up with what's going on in the CKD section, but I'm too busy to post most of the time. (But not too busy to welcome you back!)

How did you manage with the contest in September? I've been ever so curious--a condition made much worse by a lack of info!

I hope to see you around (and to post more) when things slow down in a few months.

Hey you How is everything going? How is your weight loss going?

All here is going great, I placed 3rd in my division back in September and am now training for another contest in April which I WILL WIN

I look forward to having you post more, man its quiet around here!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 14:08

BF:

KC,
Last night I tried 25 g of dextrose via smarties before weight lifting and I was amazed how much strength I had! I lifted just as strong as I did day after the big carb up, had no carb cravings today and was in ketosis this morning, tee hee! If things keep going this well could I just skip the periodic 24 hr carb up altogether? Are you seeing much gains in muscle and strength with this approach?
I also tried the HIIT you suggested this morning on the stair stepper and really liked it. It sure beat an hour plugging along on that thing. I did about 15 minutes, do you think that is long enough? From what I read about it they said 15 minutes. Seemed a little funny only going that long but I was sure drenched in sweat! Also how many days a week?
Good luck on your contest in April!
Mary Ellen
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej
KC,
Last night I tried 25 g of dextrose via smarties before weight lifting and I was amazed how much strength I had! I lifted just as strong as I did day after the big carb up, had no carb cravings today and was in ketosis this morning, tee hee! If things keep going this well could I just skip the periodic 24 hr carb up altogether? Are you seeing much gains in muscle and strength with this approach?
I also tried the HIIT you suggested this morning on the stair stepper and really liked it. It sure beat an hour plugging along on that thing. I did about 15 minutes, do you think that is long enough? From what I read about it they said 15 minutes. Seemed a little funny only going that long but I was sure drenched in sweat! Also how many days a week?
Good luck on your contest in April!
Mary Ellen

Great news!!

I was also amazed at how much the preworkout carbs helped me...some of it Im sure is mental but when I trained chest the other day I had strength and energy comparable to when Im on a bulking cycle...was very cool! I dont expect to gain any muscle when on this...I just dont want to lose any.

As far as a big carb up is concerned I am going to wait to do one once my fat loss stalls and my body temp bottoms out. That way Ill do it just as as attempt at a jumpstart of my metabolism.

15 minutes is plenty it sounds like if you were dripping in sweat. The duration of HIIT is determined by how long and how hard your "sprint" intervals are...when you have done enough your body will tell you! Its so much better in my opinion the long term moderate cardio....BOOORRRRIIINNGGGGG!

How many times a week is going to depend on your results...maybe start at 3 times a week and see how it feels. At most Im going to work up to 5 days a week...

Hope this helps!