Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Tzatziki - Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

http://www.elikioliveoil.com/tzatziki.html

Ingredients: 500 grams (1/2 quart) of Greek yoghurt (or natural full, dairy yoghurt), Three garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 sliced cucumber.

Put the yoghurt in a bowl. Put the garlic through a garlic press and using the edge of a knife, spread the garlic coming our of the press on the yoghurt. Take the cucumber and peal the skin. Slice it thinly, either with a knife or using a salad slicer. Mix the ingredients with a mixer (or a fork) and slowly add the oil. The oil will be absorbed, and when it is done, the tzatzki is ready. Serve with a spoon and a few olives spread on the top.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 16:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 21:32

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I would just like to comment for those who haven't tried it: tsatziki is the best thing EVER! Man, it is good.

Oh, and to simulate Greek yogurt, I take a nine-inch or so square of cheesecloth and push the center down into a canning jar so that it makes a sort of pouch, with the very bottom of it being at least an inch from the bottom of the jar. I then screw on the ring part of the lid and spoon some regular plain yogurt into it. Set it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning you will have thick, Greek-style yogurt in the pouch. And some whey (the liquid in the bottom) ... I guess you could do something with that, too, though I can't imagine what.