Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/155/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default tae kwon do or other martial arts, anyone?

I started tae kwon do last month, after taking a women's self defense class at the same place throughout the fall and I've found it to be the best exercise choice I've made.
Aside from learning something new everyday, the workout is intense (4 weeks later, and I'm still sore after (almost)every workout) and I've noticed a HUGE change in my body!!! (muscles in weird places, like my armpit!)
I also really like the amount of support and comraderie in the group and from the instructors.
I was a little intimidated at first. I went to one place and watched a class and was totally put off by the level of physical activity, thinking, there is NO way I could do that! The second place seemed a lot more accomodating and a little less competitive.
No weight loss since I started, but a noticeable change in my size and in both the appearance and feel of my muscles. Plus, I learned how to punch something without breaking my hand!

Anyone else out there who's as pumped about this as I am?

I always found the gym to be a fairly unsatisfying experience, and I'm really glad to have finally found something that gets the job done and is fulfilling.
When I do go to the gym now, I have different goals in mind, and it's really nice to be having something to be working towards...

glassgirl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 12:57

Stats: 180/140/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Very cool that you are practicing marital arts!! I, myself am a kickboxer and practice in a martial arts facility. And I agree, the muscle soreness is unreal! I've been training for 2 years and still get sore muscles!! Keep up the good work, it sure is fun!

andrea
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 13:20

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I am considering joining a school that teaches Jeet Kun Do, but I am probably going to wait until after the holidays.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 13:37
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

I completely agree! When I started studying Kenpo Karate I ended up gaining 10 lbs (muscle), getting smaller, and was in the best shape of my life. I really wish I could find a decent school again
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:06

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am doing a martial arts program that is about 75% Muay Thai, 25% other stuff. Yes, martial arts is great. I also do a cardio kickboxing class at the same studio.

Don't let those pecs get overdeveloped to the point of imbalance though. Read about my experience here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...289#post1626289

Read about the solution to my problem here:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1315ph.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 00:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hmmm,
Good info everyone, and I appreciate the advice about balance...
The studio I train at is closed for the holidays and I spent my first few days resting from an over-use (?) strain in several of the muscles around my hips. I'm going to look into some of those exercises a bit more. I may hook up with a massage therpaist as well. (I'm lucky to be covered for it) My hips and hamstrings are difficult muscles for me to stretch and I'm keen to maintain what flexibility and strength I've developed.
Any particular suggestions?
thanks ahead of time,
glassgirl
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 01:01

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

I got into okinawan karate about 12 years ago, and stuck with it for about 18 months. When I was into it, I was going 3 or 4 days a week. I was totally dedicated and "pumped", so I relate. Unfortunately, too much travel and an irregular schedule got in the way of continuing it. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Great for my body, and good for my mind and my soul. I was fortunate to have found a great sensei who was passionate about it. The soreness and occasional injuries are part of the process, I think. The stretching has great cross-training benefits. Keep it up.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 10:41
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Tae Kwan Do ROCKS!

hey Glassgirl! TKD rocks, doesn't it??

I lost about 10 pounds effortlessly, just by doing TKD over the course of a year...but then hurt my back (unrelated to martial arts) and for the last four months I've been gimping along, missing promotions and taking class whenever my back permitted. Now I'm on the mend (woo hoo!) and ready to return--last week was the first time I didn't have back pain after training. Alas, I've gained some weight by not working out and by letting my carb addiction rule. So this is really the first time I've done martial arts while low-carbing, and I appreciate your experience. My only problem so far (I'm in induction): I run out of energy about halfway through the lesson. My husband (experienced low-carb kinda guy) speculates it's because burning fat takes longer than burning carbs and my body can't keep up. Any suggestions, anyone? This week I'm going to try eating an extra snack of nuts or an extra salad the days I train. Thanks for your post, Glassgirl! And thanks for the help, anyone who has advice!
Nancy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 22:36
Registered Member

BF:

Hey there,
A few weeks before the x-mas break from TKD, I started taking protein shakes with me. I'd drink a bit before and the rest after my training, and I found it helped a fair bit with fatigue, plus I worry about burning muscle instead of fat, and the protein is supposed to help with that...
best of luck
Glass Girl
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 11:48
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Tae Kwan Do

Thanks for the tip, Glassgirl! I'll try that. I figured I'd eat an extra snack, some nuts maybe, the day I train. I'll the protein shake.

Best wishes,
Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:10

Stats: 378/355/225
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Guys
I am another Kenpo/Combat Hapkido person.Its funny most people think us bigger people aren"t fast or anything .The more weight i lose the more limber i get right now i can kick someone in the head if i need to but i am looking forward to moving higher up on the body as i lose more weight lol.I am really happy to see some fellow martial artist on this forum.

Ray
Kenpo Blue Belt/ Combat Hapkido Green Belt

368 lbs and Counting
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:50

Plan: modified CKD
Stats: 207/157/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Hello

Count me in. I'm a purple belt (should be green but...had some problems at the belt tests lol) in Kajukenbo.

-Michelle
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:26

Stats: 378/355/225
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi
This forum just goes to show what heavy people can do if we set our minds to it.

Ray
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:44
Registered Member

Stats: 249/204/185 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yeah, I agree with you on that. My instructor calls me a "unpleasant surprise" for anyone that tries to attack me. I'm slower than the other guys in the class, but I have as much power or more than most of them. And at my previous job a co-worker admired that I showed "confidence" when doing anything.

Too bad he's insane, however he thinks I'm the next Bruce Lee and can lift 500 pounds.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:39
Registered Member

BF:

JSunstar
I can really relate to what your co-worker is saying about your confidence. My co-workers and friends have remarked on a huge change in my self-confidence over the past few months. I made a deal with myself that I'd quit smoking so I could afford the TKD, and it's been great. A few cheats here and there, just like the carbs lol, but a very good journey,overall. Being able to follow through on that kind of committment to myself, and a newfound comfort and enjoyment of the skin I'm in has been a huge boost for me. Add to all that the very real difference I feel and others see in my body, and I'm very very glad I made the decision to join TKD.
I'm going for my first grading next week, and I'm a wee bit freaked out. I have a hard time with my Kiah! and with performing in front of others...I'm going to practice, practice, practice until then.
wish me luck!