Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Get-Together?
Yes and I can make it both weekends this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I can't make it this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I'd prefer a different location 1 14.29%
No 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

#91   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 07:54

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

I'll be coming from Reading but I might drive to Slough and get the train from there. I believe it is/was about 50p to park there for the afternoon and then the train fare will be about £5 - I last did that about 3 years ago so prices may have changed!

If anyone wants to meet up then let me know.

Fiona, I'll need firm directions as I'm not the best person for finding my way around.

Bez

Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 08:34

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%
Default Bez's journey

{I'll need firm directions as I'm not the best person for finding my way around.}

Hi Bez,

Travel details from Slough - Golders Green as follows....

Slough - Paddington
Paddington - Kings Cross/St Pancras (Circle/Metropolitan [clockwise/eastbound])
Kings Cross/St Pancras - Golders Green (Northern Line northbound [Edgware Branch]).

Hope this helps

Speak soon
Ken.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 03:44

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Ken,

Thanks a million.

Bez

#94   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 17:02

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Fiona

I have only just found out, that you are having another get-together (thanks No Honey).

Sorry, that I can't make it this time. I am working Unless you fancy changing the venue to Brick Lane / Tower Hill / St Katherines Dock ???

Thought not.
Never mind. I'll be there next time ( I hope).

Maybe we could make it a venue in South London ? Don't worry, it's not really scary

St Katherines Dock is really nice ( allthough a bit touristy)

Have a nice time, and don't eat the buns

Sabine
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile We'll miss you

Hi Sabine

Pity about you working that day. Would have been nice to catch up on the gossip and exchange tips.

{Maybe we could make it a venue in South London ? } I am open to suggestions if you know of a good place to meet.

{Have a nice time, and don't eat the buns ...} I know! I was wondering if it might not be safer to take some high protein food with me - a high protein soup would be just great in the park winds !! I am sure we will have fun though.

Take care.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 04:46

BF:
Progress:

High protein soup sounds good to me Fiona.

I know last time you had food and shared, I have some Keto Hot chocolate that I could make and bring as well as the usual nuts and things. Any other suggestions.

And, is there anywhere close by that we could go to to keep warm if it's a really bad day, it's getting very cold now and I'm not good in the cold - although a long walk would be nice if that is on the cards....what do you have planned?

Bez

Sorry you can't make it Sabine and are you going to try to come No Honey.

#97   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 05:24

BF:
Progress:

Fiona,

Just thought, you have not confirmed the meeting place for next Saturday.

Last post said Golders Green Underground but I'll need to know where abouts in the underground. I have never been to London on my own before and as said before will need firm guidance as to where I'm going. If you can give me a shop or cafe, or a landmark then I'll be fine.

Thanks,

Bez
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 03:33

BF:
Default cooooooollllllllllldddddddd!!!!!!!!!!

Do I know about cold Bez! We had our first snowfall in London yesterday. Looked great, didn't last long, sun came out - oooooh soooooo beautiful and bright: I had a dentist's appointment (9am) so went out: for some strange and inexplicable reason the dentist's office was closed and no-one in sight. So I hung around thinking he must be late or had traffic problems. One hour later I could not stand the cold another second despite having popped into shops around to warm up from time to time.

Am sitting here with the heater on; two pairs of trousers, 3-4 layers of tops; second pot of tea and still Coooooooolllllllldddd!

I tend to feel the cold a lot more since my thyroid operation years ago.

(.... stop waffling and get to the point...)... I wish we had gone to the park last time - weather was perfect for it. But thinking positively it will be good - we all need the light and the exercise more at this time of year and it will certainly do me good to show off one of my favourite parks in London.

However parks are generally colder than other places so do come prepared with lots and lots of warm layers. I am hoping to hear from Jon soon - this location was meant to fit in with his schedule as he is "guest of honour", travelling furthest and has a tight agenda for his two days in London.

Golders Green is only a tiny little station with one exit (it does have two exits but the other one is closed for the moment) and surrounded by lots of little shops and a bus depot (no parking I am afraid - especially on a Saturday afternoon).

Would people like to meet at the station at 2pm (maximum wait 5mins for late-comers) and walk on to the park 15 mins fast uphill walking and take it from there?

I know it is difficult to time journeys so perhaps those who wish to (or anyone who gets there after 2.05pm) can make their way direct to the restaurant in the park?

The way to get there is to turn left as you exit the Station walk through the bus depot - walk past the Golders Green Hippodrome - BBC Philharmonic concerts are held there so it is quite prominent - and keep walking left up North End Road until you see a gate and restaurant on your right . If it is nice and sunny you can't miss it 'cos it will be full of children and families sitting on the benches and tables outside the restaurant.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Sun, Nov-11-01 at 06:40.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 12:05

Hi Fiona, Bez Jon and all others aiming to meet up next weekend

We are looking forward to our walk in the park (fingers crossed that the weather is good to us) and meeting up with some of our fellow LCers . We will be coming on the tube from Edgware so parking will not be a problem.

Fiona, I've got my digital camera, as discussed in our phone call (it was a lovely suprise to her from you) and so will will be able to publish pictures on the forum (if I've learnt how to use it by then). As I'm not really the cook in our household any suggestions for something hot to bring would be welcomed (even if it's only a flask of tea/coffee).

Keep smiling
Ken (and Margaret)
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 06:36

BF:
Thumbs up Soup

Last couple of days have been absolutely perfect (albeit cold) for the walk in the park. I just lovvvvvvve all those autumn colours - they are soooooo rich and inspiring ... for me. I am hoping next Saturday will be just like that - hopefully even a little warmer.

What to bring ? Well I don't really want to carry more than necessary. I was just given a very useful present which might come in handy (if I feel like carrying it around) - a hot/cold (thermos) casserole dish. Haven't decided finally yet but I was thinking of bringing some chicken drumsticks (like the ones you had at the FIRST LC meeting - curried) and using the stock from it as a base for soup: broccoli, cauli, tofu.

They do serve fish and meat at the restaurant, but it is often surrounded by a lot of carbs and most the soups are carb laden. They do some wonnnnnnnnderful ice creams but I don't suppose anyone will feel like those!!!

Tea and Coffee we can easily buy there.

Judging from last time, we were all more interested in TALKING and although everyone ate, far too much food was left over - I probably went a bit mad with the proportions and had I thought of it party bags of food might have been good!!

My suggestion is just bring something small and hot for yourself + little extra if anyone wants a taste.

A ball might come in handy as a warming and running around after tool .

I become a kid myself there - go climbing over the trees etc - so be warned! LOL - it's my FUN time.

Oh that reminds me : nice comfortable trainers or walking shoes with warm socks - I might stay on and go for a long walk in Hampstead Heath which is kinda "natural" and foresty.

Just love the squirrels - a few UNSALTED peanuts might come in handy for them : squirrels are very picky (intelligent is a better word) won't accept salted peanuts!! There's lots of other animals too - peacocks, flamingoes, deer, australian short-long legged thingies (can't think of the name now) etc.

OOooooh and there's a duck pond : last time I went to my local park I was quite surprised how hungry the ducks were - don't suppose they get many visitors in the cold.

Wow! I am getting excited here!!!

It will be FUN - Just come prepared to let go and enjoy. I guarantee you all will sleep like LOGS when you get home.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Sun, Nov-11-01 at 06:52.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Looking forward to seeing you all

Hi people

Sorry its been so long - starting a new degree (with homework!!) and an 11 month old is keeping me busy.

Plan to meet you a 2 o'clock at the tube station.

See you then

Jon
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:50

Hi Jon

Glad to hear from you, I thought that you had dropped off the face of the earth . I really must check your gym log and journal more often!

Looking forward to meeting up on Saturday. Hope that the weather is kind to us, but as Fiona says be sure to wrap up warm. Have a safe journey down to London.

Keep smiling
Ken
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 06:18

BF:
Progress:

Hi all and nice to hear from you Jon,

Will see you all on Saturday then.

LOL Bez

Jon, how much work is needed for the degree and are you at UNI or doing an OU. I am considering an OU in Psychology for Feb next year and was all set to do it but something has happened and I may need to wait a while longer before I can start.

It's amazing, I've waited all this time to start the OU and now something major has happened and it may hold me back another year or more.

Anyway, we can discuss it further on Saturday.

LOL Bez

#104   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 19:20

BF:
Smile NameTag

To make it easier for people to know it is ME they are meeting (of course Ken and Margaret know me from last time) I thought I'd wear a name tag in a prominent place. Only it won't have my name on it - but a photo of chicken and lamb and mince kebabs cooking on a barbeque grille - that's what LC is all about!
I'll more than likely be carrying a black (with a tiny bit of red in the corner) rucksack.

Kay was keen to come - wonder what happened to her?

Take care.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Looking forward to seeing you all

Hi

Just posting this to confirm that we're off to London tomorrow and will see you on Saturday.

Bye for now

Jon