Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How often do you cheat?
Never 251 29.53%
Once a day 49 5.76%
More than once a day 21 2.47%
Once per week 300 35.29%
Once per month 229 26.94%
Voters: 850. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 15:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

ROFLMBO!!! ....testing my resistance to increased exposure...LOL...I'll have to remember that one the next time my hubby asks me why I'm eating something other than low-carb!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 15:20

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 185/151/145
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default cheated??

......yeah, did i ever cheat last night!! i hate when i do that!! it was my so's birthday and that's how i rationalized it to myself - ate a piece of pizza, some nachos and then had (horror of all horrors - for me anyway) CHOCOLATE!!!!!

i try so hard not to do this and i don't do this very often at all - epecially eating sugar so concentrated like that - i end up having this huge sugar rush (which is fun) but then i crash (very, very NOT fun)...

**sigh**...when will i ever learn??

#33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.4/232.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Wink Once a week

I cheat once a week, sometimes two. Still seem to lose though.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Wow

Lucky you, Chattykat, wish I had your genetics.

GRIN

Mike
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:
Talking

My husband just called me - he's at a japanese restaurant, and boy, does it make me want sushi. Yeah, I know sashimi would be better, but it has got to be w/ vinegar rice & wasabi.

I've got two planned cheats - Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Eve. I figure if I can make it through those two days, I'll be doing okay.

Oh, yeah...and some sushi!

--Kirkwood
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 11:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

Since I started this way of eating on August 1, I have had only three times when I have eaten things I should not have. Within the first week, I had one chocolate. After the first month, we went out for fish and chips. And last night, we had company for popcorn and a movie. I had popcorn, and I also had a small piece of cheesecake(not LC). And after eating it, it really didn't taste that great. And this morning I just kind of feel yucky!!
What I love about this WOE is that I don't have the cravings. It is so easy for me to stay on track. I seem to be in a major stall right now, but I do know that my clothes are fitting way better, and hopefully the weight will start moving again soon.
I think all of us are so different, and we each know what works for ourselves.
At least we are all there and doing it!!!
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 16:03

BF:
Talking

Actually, you can have a small amount of popcorn and still stay low-carb. 2 cups of popcorn is roughly 5 grams and the nice thing is that you can have all the butter on it that you want plus it's a good source of fiber!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 23:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I cheated big time yesterday. BIG TIME. I'm talking, chocolate cookies, oatmeal cookies, chocolate cake, cheesecake, tootsie rolls, and doritos. It had been almost 4 weeks since I'd had more than 30-40 g. carb per day. Don't know quite why I did it, since it didn't even taste that good.
Jeanette
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 14:58

BF:

Been there, done that Jeanette. I seem to hit this need to eat carbs about once a month, but as long as I get right back to low carbing the next day, it hasn't seemed to hurt me much. Still loosing weight and my bloodwork looks great! It didn't happen to coincide with your TOM did it? My cravings usually do. Sometimes I can satisfy them with some low-carb chocolate, but not always. Slips aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't let it become a binge that lasts for days, weeks or even months. Hang in there!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 10:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Wink Eep

Cheat? I'm terrified to cheat.. I just don't want to be addicted to Carbs again. I don't want my asthma back! And yes I think I'm alittle unrealistic but for now, no cheating for me!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 08:10
Registered Member

Stats: 181/167/130
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default What's "Cheating"?

OK, this may sound like a rationalization, but here's how I see it.

I am in the processing of modifying my diet for the rest of my life. To lose weight, I have to eat differently than to maintain my weight. However, this WOE is for The Rest of My Life. So, if an occasion comes along where I want to eat carbs (I'm thinking Thanksgiving here), I'm going to. At the same time, I'm going to try not to go overboard on stuff I don't feel strongly about (pause while I try to imagine which parts of the menu that would be; can't think of any ), if I want a piece of pumpkin pie, I'm going to eat it.

This attitude may result in a slowing of weight loss for me, but I figure I'm going to get there eventually. It's an on-going process, so I wouldn't call it "cheating" if I have excess carbs on this day or that. The point is to make an overall change in my eating habits.

I know there are some who just have to swear off carbs forever or they'll binge. I had some treats on Saturday night, and was fortunately not tempted to compound the indulgence any more (although I've actually thought about it!). My weight is holding steady, which is all I can ask if I'm going to eat too many carbs. Anyway, I seem to be blessed in not having a binge personality (about carbs anyway). Maybe it just depends on the temptation.

Good luck to everyone on reaching their goals.

#42   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 17:12

Plan: Carbo. addicts diet
Stats: 240/182/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Red face cheating

I am embarresed to tell the truth but a cookie,last month.
A snack (small) size peanut butter cup yesterday. So once a month, I guess.
Since September.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 23:45

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Apparently I cheat when I get frustrated cause I haven't lost anything in a month.
But I had an idea of going off the diet for a week and getting back on and see if it kicks in. If it's a choice like that, it's not cheating...maybe...
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 14:09
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I voted once a day, but after reading everybody elses post I guess that was exaggerating. My cheating consists of maybe a nibble (someone just brought in a popcorn ball from Halloween and I had two kernals of poapcorn that was coated with syrup) It was yummy as heck!!! , but that's all I need. I might do this once a day, somedays not at all - depends on what and who is tempting me! Of course, I'm early into the program, so maybe I still have alot of motivation - maybe more tempting to eat the whole popcorn ball in a couple of weeks!! I'll broach that problem when I get there - kinda like AA - I take it one day at a time!!!!

Charyl
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Cheating?

I am one of those who never cheats - I feel so well on a low carb diet that I have not had one single bite of bread, potatoe, pasta, rice or store bought sweet in 2 years. I do not tell myself that I never will - I allow myself the thought that I might choose to eat something high in carbs on any given day - but I choose not to. There are so many great things that I do eat, so I don't feel like I am deprived.
Since I have been on maintenance, I do allow my self up to 50 grams a day, so that gives me more latitude than someone on a weight loss program. I am full of energy - no more low periods during the day. And, I have given away all my big clothes, and am gradually building a wardrobe of small clothes that fit me! The positive feedback from friends about how great I look is very satisfying.
So, I am not tempted. Hope that it stays this way.