Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 06:57

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Still having problems! Atkins for the 2nd time!

OK I'm convinced! After one strict week of induction foods, 20 carbs, excersise, lots of water and no hidden carbs my clothes are still tight. I literally blew up after being off of Atkins for about 2 months and I can't seem to get the weight back off. I'm very frustrated and getting depressed about all of this. I don't know how long it's going to take to see any progress!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is easier to know what you are doing wrong if we knew exactly what you were eating/drinking. I know last time my stumbling block was the Diet Pepsi (aspertime) spelling is bad..
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:22

BF:

Typical Day

3 scrambled eggs 3 slices bacon
water
diet swiss miss with splenda

Chicken caesar salad
Newman's Own Natural Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
Water

Post Workout-EAS Carb Control Shake with 5 gms Glutamine
Water

Cheeseburger w/let, tom and must
1 cup steamed broccoli with 1 TB real butter
Water
diet swiss miss with splenda

According to FitDay this is:

Cal: 1500
Carbs: 20 4%
Fat: 108 67%
Protein: 105 29%

I know some people are going to say the shake is stalling me I have to have this because of my intense work outs. Besides the shakes never stalled or prevented me from losing the 1st time on Atkins. I just think my body doesn't want to lose! There is no way that the 25 lbs I gained in the last 2 months is water either. I am confused and upset. Someone please help!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:38

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The ONLY things that I see that could be hurting (besides the shake) is the Swiss Mix and the tomato. Another thing that you might want to think about is to ease up on the workouts. If they are as intense as you say then your body will also store the water.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:55

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

If this is the second time you are doing Induction, you cannot expect the same results as the first time. Dr. Atkins even talks about this a bit in his book, but I've heard it from lots of people.
Your body is doing a "fool me twice" thing on you, since you went low carb and then high carb. It's not going to dump any more until it's sure about what you are planning to do.
Just hang in there until it is reassured, and you WILL lose again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:00

BF:

adkpam-Thanks you for your encouragement. I was starting to think that it's impossible to do again. I have heard about the one golden moment theory but several people on this forum have tried Atkins for the second or third time so I hope it works. After all of this frustration I will never go off again!!!!

The major depressing factor is that before I started Atkins the first time I was only 147 lbs so I have no clothes that fit me now at 160! Ugh! I'm frustrated and want to give up but I need to give it time I guess.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, I agree with adkpam, you have to give it some time and not expect the same rate of loss as your first time on Atkins. Your body is trying to see if this low-carb thing "is for real" this time. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:56

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

please try a strict induction - no swiss miss cocoa - no bars - no shakes

and watch that salad - it looks like a MCDonalds salad and they seem to have more hidden carbs than any other salad from other fast food co's.

remember if you are working out you may be gaining muscle and therefore will not see a loss in weight - but make sure to measure the inches may be comig off.

it also may take that first week just to get the carbs out of your system - keep it up - dont give up.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I would substitute something else for the Swiss Miss. Even the sugarfree kind I've seen has ingredients that aren't induction-friendly.

Hang in there!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:24
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I agree with everyone, give it more time. How much change can you expect after only one week?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:22

BF:

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try a week or two with no swiss miss and no shakes and see if that helps to kickstart my body. I really want to do this and if I did it the first time it has to be possible to do again.

When I'm down or discouraged everyone on this forum always helps me and I thank you for it!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 15:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am about where you are; I did induction in July and stayed on Atkins about 6 weeks. I lost I think 17 lbs and then went off the diet. Gained 15 back pretty quickly. Now I'm on the first week of induction, starting over. It's very frustrating, but do give it more time. After all, life goes on anyway, and you have to eat. If you stay on Atkins you WILL lose the weight. A year from now you will be healthier, slimmer, weigh less, IF you stick with Atkins. If you get frustrated and quit, where will you be a year from now? That kind of thinking helps me a lot. Also, if I get discouraged, I go to the success stories pages and look at pictures. Now that is inspiring and exciting. I know that sometimes I think that I just have too much weight to lose and I just can't do it; looking at those pictures and reading the stories helps a lot.
Don't give up! The weight may not come off as fast as you'd hope. Take your measurements, take pictures of you every week or month, set mini-goals, but don't give up!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:50

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I did Atkins back in the mid '70's when the first book came out. I was strict for an entire month, and the scale didn't budge an ounce!! No loss, no gain. So...I gave up.

THIS time I began 8-1-2003, and lost 0 for the first three weeks...then dropped 3 lbs. in the fourth (after giving up ham chunks and bacon..hidden carbs)...then lost 0 all during September....By my NINTH week I discovered that symptoms pointed to candida albicans having its way with me for YEARS...(antibiotic history, impared immunity, sensitivity to molds, mildews, and many chemicals...digestive difficulties....etc)...and went on a much stricter regimen, taking myself off all sweeteners except stevia, anything with yeast, mushrooms, fermented foods (everything I eat is fresh), etc.....started taking supplements (caprylic acid, oil of oregano, probiotics, pau d'arco, Oregon Grape, etc...) and increased my water intake....Bingo!! I started losing weight....

Stick with it...keep going....
oh yes...and those shakes you say you need....you can give those up for awhile...especially if it's the glutamine you're after....It comes in pills and powder form at GNC...and other stores as well. I take 2 grams daily...I need it!

YOU CAN DO IT!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Stats: 175.5/167.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:?/41%/23%
Progress: 16%

I'm somewhat in your shoes...I did Atkins twice before, and gave it up for various reasons. Here I am back again, and after two weeks I've seen some weight loss but no change in my clothes.

A few thoughts:
- you may not lose weight in your waistline first. Everyone loses weight in different places at different times. For me, the first place is in the face - despite the fact that I pray to the weight loss gods daily for a loss at the waist or the breasts.
- Exercising as much as you do may be overdoing it. The body needs time to recuperate between workouts. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so you might not see the numbers drop as quickly as you'd like.
- The second time around IS worse. Stick with it, while your body adjusts.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 11:20

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

You might consider having your thyroid checked as well. I know two people whose only indication of major thyroid dysfunction was the inablility to lose weight.