Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 05:55

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power - Thursday 10/30

Welcome! Below is a bit of information about Protein Power for those who are unfamiliar with it. We welcome people with questions about the WOE or who are considering the WOE, but not sure, to join in our discussion.

The Protein Power plan was devised by the husband-and-wife team of Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Dan Eades. They advocate an adequate protein/moderate fat/lower carb regimen in which you first determine your minimum protein requirement. Each day, you strive to eat at least this much protein, and between 30 and 55 grams of ECC (carbs minus fiber) to start. You spread your protein and carbs fairly equally throughout the day to avoid insulin spikes.

Though ketosis is not necessary for weight loss, neither is it discouraged. Some people enjoy the loss of appetite that ketosis brings. Others avoid ketosis and the accompanying loss of appetite because they find they don't get in the required amount of protein, and weight loss slows.

For detailed information on the plan, read the Eades' first two books, "Protein Power" and "Protein Power Lifeplan."

Our daily inspiration:
"Today I will make good choices. I will eat only those foods that are healthy for me. I will do something physical, even if it's only to walk around the block or pick up a room or do the laundry. I will concern myself only with today. I can't do anything about yesterday, and tomorrow is too far away. I can and will influence today. Today I will give as much support, encouragement, and love to myself as I do to others."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 06:52

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning Orang and everyone.

Got my flu shot after work yesterday so didn't exercise last night. Today is a lunch thing at work, but I came prepared with some low carb stuff (yogurt, protein shake etc) in case the stuff people bring is too carby.I really want to do this right this time, I am seeing some progress in my clothes fitting a little better.

Wendy, how you doing today? Just thinking about you.....

Hi Ellie, Shelly and Robin and everyone else who drops by the thread.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:17

BF:

Elaine,

Sounds like your hard work and dedication are paying off

Last edited by Orang : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 07:19.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:27

BF:

Billie from the official Eades PP board sent me a link this AM that will likely be of interest to anyone with hypothyroid disorders. Passing the info along as I know several here have this problem.
http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...ic;f=1;t=205277

Orang
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:57

BF:

Orang, thanks for that link.

T3 is also vital for the process of protein synthesis at the cellular level. Among other things, this has an effect on hair, nails, skin, and muscle development. Low T3 often, but not always results in problems such as brittle or thinning hair, brittle, easily broken or peeling nails. (I get more dry skin and peeling nails when my T3 drops). It also affects the ability to build and maintain muscle tissue. Low T3 usually means muscle loss, and since muscle tissue burns fat, less muscle means less fat burning.

That's EACTLY what happened to me when I did WW the first time , took in too much soy which tanked my thyroid, and I got the thinning hair, loss of muscle, etc. That's why this time I am putting full fat cream in my protein shakes and using peanut butter in my oatmeal,olive oil, full fat dressings etc. I want to make sure I am getting enough fat. That's how I'm doing WW/LC.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:49

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Wendy - I am so sorry I have to get to work but will post a bit later

Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:01

BF:

Yesterday was a fairly good day personally, but not a good day for my WOE - I went over my carb limit (should have been 55 - 65 per endo's recommendations yesterday). Forgot ff sour cream has more carbs than regular .

Goals: I made a start on eating more fish and got the calories down a bit. My three on-going goals remain to eat lots of fish - especially cold water fish; to keep calories between 1400 and 1700 and to eliminate egg yolks and beef to see if it helps with BP / lipid problems.

Yesterday's menu:

Total Calories: 1355
Fat: 48 gms 428 calories 33%
Sat: 16 gms 145 calories 11%
Poly: 11 gms 102 calories 8%
Mono: 13 gms 120 calories 9%
Carbs: 92 gms 312 calories 24% Effective carbs: 77 gms
Fiber: 15 gms 0 calories 0%
Protein: 142 gms 569 calories 43%

Breakfast:
Omelet - three egg-beaters, 2 ozs lean ham, 1 oz cheddar
1 slice LC toast w/ I TBS sf jam
24 ozs coffee
.75 TBS Pysillium Powder

Lunch:
1 can water-pack tuna w/ 1 tbs mayo & 1/2 tsp celery seeds

Snack: 6 medium size pork rinds

Dinner:
8 ozs boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked in Italian / parmesan dressing (drained before eating)
1 cup broccoli / carrot / cauliflower mix - steamed
3/4 c stewed tomatoes (homemade with Splenda)
3/4 c ff sour cream w/ 3/4 cup blueberries (sweetened w/ sweet'n'low, vanilla flavoring added)

Elaine: Glad the link helped. Hope the flu shot doesn't give you any trouble. I can't get mine until they get my heart thing taken care of.

Ellie:Great to see you here.

I'm forming a posse - let's go rope Grady and Rob and bring 'em in.

Wendy: I posted my response on yesterday's thread.

Robin: Come on in and talk to us. So glad you were here.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:12

BF:

Oh boy, was I good.....
We had a dept lunch today which means everyone whipped out their carbiest , yummiest food creations, haha. I ate the inside of 2 pieces of a sub and had brought an apple and some PB from home. I passed up everything that looked sooooooooooooo good but I am not going to blow this. I also have a protein shake and some yogurt if I am hungrier later. I am high-fiving myself for the next two minutes haha.

Orang, I'm emailing you something funny, couldn't figure out how to put it into the thread since I don't have a URL, I copied it from another board. Maybe you could help? It will give you a giggle.(it's clean, folks)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:17

BF:

Orang, forget the email, I'm going to try it myself. If it doesn't work check out the links, heehee.

#10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:27

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good one Elaine!

And for you keeping strong!!! Glad that the flu shot did not slow you down! So how are the meals coming with the lcww?? Do you get enough to eat with the full fat versions?? I could not do light any more, for years I had trained my palete for Fat Free and light, It has been great having good flavor in my salads ect! Did you see that KFC commercial, 11 carbs for original r. breast chicken, I don't know if I trust that or not, i will continue to peel off the breading when we eat there!

Orang, Have Ya had any luck rounding up Grady and Rob??? I thought there was a yetti sighting on another thread awhile back!
When are you going back to the doc?? I am SO GLAD that we all finally have a nice "home" to write to!

Wendy, good luck with your up and coming procedure, we are always here for you!!! How are things going with school? My ds has settled down, well ALL of the little darlings are wound up THIS week ofcourse!

A Big Hello To Ellie,Robin,and everbody else!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi guys. I'm feeling much better today, thanks for all the concerns. The next procedure is on Wednesday, Nov. 12. I'm glad that my mom doesn't work then, so she can go down with me for moral support.

I appreciate the post about thyroid issues. I've been convinced for a long time that Atkins induction caused my hypothyroidism, and this totally goes along with my theory. Yesterday I tried to lay out my LFL/PP plan, and I decided to stick to the same number of calories I've been eating per day, 900 for several weeks with the intention of weightloss. I lowered my carbs from 70 to about 50 (but like Elaine said, I am going to keep it at at least 50 right now for my thyroid), and upped the fats a bit. I'm also only going to eat fruit once per day, b/c it was just grossing me out to eat anymore than that. Yesterday night I ate more veggies, a bit more fat, no fruit, and actually 100 calories extra and was back down 0.5 lb this morning. So I am back at my lowest signature weight. Tomorrow I am going to do my weekly protein day. I'll probably do just one more week at this less than 1000 cal/day plan and hope to lose another pound or two. Then I am going to spend around 3 weeks just trying to maintain my loss through Thanksgiving by gradually adding in a couple extra carbs and some good fats to raise my calories. So that's my plan. We'll see how it works.

Lissette-School's going pretty well, thanks for asking It's hectic now b/c tomorrow is the end of the quarter and grades are due. But the end of the quarter means that the year is 1/4 over! Wow!!!! It's going to be weird the next couple weeks b/c I am going to be out a lot. Next Thursday I have taken 1/2 personal day in the AM, I'll be out the next Wednesday for my procedure (possibly longer), then a couple weeks after that I have a conference to go to, then it's Thanksgiving

Elaine-I'm so proud of you staying on-plan and resisting temptation during lunch.

Renee-When are you getting your cholesterol retested?

Ellie-Hi
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:04
Registered Member

Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hello everyone,
Great to be together again. Thanks Elaine for the PM. I wondered if something like this had happened and suddenly thought to check my PM's, something I never do (because I never get any ) I tried to post earlier and something went wrong. I had registered last night but had to leave for a meeting before I had time to post. Hopefully this time it will work.
Wendy, so glad you are feeling better today. No wonder you were stressed. That alone could probably account for your small weight gain that you had. At least you don't have to wait ages for the second procedure.
And Elaine thanks for reminding me (by your post yesterday about your mammo results) that I needed to book one. It's for Nov. 20. Hope it goes better than the last one when I was bruised (yes black and blue) and sore for days. Doesn't exactly encourage you to go back!
Yesterday I bought the original set of WATP tapes. I currently have the Express set. Also got some Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies DVD's. Still need to get some more firming videos as I have only one and would like some variety. Not sure how DVD's are going to work as I have very little room in the computer room to work out and that's the only place I can play a DVD.
Renee, good luck on your challenges ahead. I seem to recall you're booked for a heart catheterization, right? When is that?
Marjorie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default a.k.a. Gradycat

Yes, it's me. You can call back the posse.

I just posted my "allow me to introduce myself" thread. It got a little long, which is so unlike me.

So will this be the daily thread? We couldn't come up with anything more original than "Protein Power" in the "Protein Power" forum?

Wendy, thanks for reminding me that I had planned for tomorrow to be my weekly protein day. It had totally slipped my mind. I'll have to re-think what to take to work.

Glad to see almost everyone here. Bikermom (Missy) emailed me and I sent her the link to this site, but not to this thread. Didn't I see Marjorie post the other day somewhere over here? Who else are we missing?

Anyway, it's good to chat with you all again. I'll try to catch up more tomorrow night and over the weekend. Work has been pretty busy lately.

Orang, I might send you a face pic and see what you can come up with as an avatar for me.

Hey, what do the little eggs mean under our names? Some people have one, but Orang has three. This site is going to take some getting used to.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

Good evening, everyone!!
Renee....that's a familiar looking avatar
Hey, has the artist formerly known a Grady shown up around here yet?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:17

BF:

Marnie,

So glad to see you - I missed you. Glad to see you are working out - know walking would get mighty cold up you way this time of year.

Re: heart cath - it's on hold for now - they think they know what is causing this - inflamed scar tissue from an old stab wound appears to be swelling when I exert myself and pressing against an artery - causing a partial blockage. They are going to do an MRI early next week. Y'all pray for me on that - I don't do enclosed spaces well at all.