Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/195/135 Female 66
BF:45%/42%/?
Progress: 17%

Thanks for the extended list of FatFast options. I had seen it on the Atkins website, but most of the options there were unappealing. I do not like avacado, pate or cavier. I have been in Induction for 3 weeks, and have lost 8 pounds, but I have never entered Ketosis. It is so fustrating! I think the 8 pounds was water weight and the lower calorie intake, although I'm not watching calories.

So the basic rule is 75-90% fat, 200 calories per meal(5 a day), and basicaly zero carbs? So, things like bacon are OK? Anyone tried sausage? I know they are mostly fat.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'2''
BF:23%/22.5%/18
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up Fat Fast my experience

I have followed the FF several times with very good results. Even I went on vacations and I put up 7 pounds but I got back to my 110 lbs in only 8 days. That is a miracle.

I basically have 100-1100 calories with at least 80% fat. I do not count carbs, but normally are around 10-15. Follow a FF with 0% is impossible, even whipped cream has some carbs.

My options are as follows: 2 table spoons of peanut butter. A salad made with 5 slices of avocado, lettuce, and two tbs of salad dressing. An omelette made with 1 oz of blue cheese, one large egg, 1 tbsp. of butter and one slice of kraft sharp cheddar fat free.

Another option which is really filling and it is good if you miss meat is 2 ounces of hormel spam luncheon meat.

As I work all day, I have three meals, I do not like to eat among papers or in a rush.

My breakfast is always a frappuccino made with 1/4 cup of whipped cream, ice cubes, coffee, sugar free syrup and some aspartame drops. (yummy!)

Currently I am at the modified fat fast stage (1200 calories) ready to move to induction soon.

Hope my input be useful.

saluditos

irene
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 12:48

Plan: Atkins (vegetarian)
Stats: 160/153/125 Female 5'1 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Fat faster tips...

Hello all! I am new to this forum and while I am just recently back on the Atkin's bandwagon, have done Atkin's successfully several times. I then started taking birth control pills and gained it all back!
Anyway, I am presently doing another fat fast am and on day two. One tip I have for all that employ this method to stimulate the metabolism is to carefully watch the protein and carb counts as well. When I do this, after doing at least three days of no more than 20 carbs first, I lose about 12 lbs, and no less than 10. Usually 5 lbs the first day, 4 lbs. the second day, and about 3 lbs. the third day. I always drink 1 gallon of water while doing this (that's 16 cups).

I read through all of the posts, but noticed that my weight loss was a little more extreme than some. I believe the reason for this is that I faithfully follow the "cream cheese" nutritional model. 1000 calories, 90-100 fat grams, no more than 20 grams of protein, and about 14 grams of carbs( 4 of which are hidden carbs from the sugar free jello)...no more than this.
I point this out, because I have noticed that when I vary my intake to include the macadamia nuts, pork rinds, 2 oz. of meat with lots of mayo, or more than 3 cups of diet soda I ALWAYS lose much less...about 1 lb per day compared to 3+ lbs. per day.My metabolism is very resistant due in part to my birth control pills and a thyroid condition I have, and I have only found success with Atkins when I jump start it with a fat fast after day 3 of the induction period. By this, I eat a combination of nothing but cream cheese, or heavy whipping cream with either 1 small package of sugar free jello or no more than 20 oz. of sugar free, caffeine free orange or root beer soda. So in other words, I have 6 servings of jello mousse, or 6 1/2 cup servings of a diet soda float. I rest when I need to and some of the days have the energy to take short walks (15-20 min.)while deep breathing. I also always get colonics on these fasting days( cost: About $150 bucks). I make a point to make this time enjoyable and stress free. Make sure not to plan to do too much as you may need to rest often. TAKING A NAP AND DRINKING WATER HELP ALSO WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING THOSE CRAVINGS! Hopefully this information will be helpful to those who use the fat fast. For my first three days on a very strict induction period, I lost only 1.5 lbs.
I have already lost 6 lbs on my fat fast which began yesterday and plan to lose about 6 more by Wed. morning. I will let you all know how it goes.

Happy Fasting!

Last edited by melca509 : Mon, Oct-25-04 at 15:20.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 15:17

Plan: Atkins (vegetarian)
Stats: 160/153/125 Female 5'1 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question

I'm also curious as to whether or not anyone else has noticed the presence of fatty casts in their urinewhile on the fat fast? I urinate frequently and can actually see fat deposits in my urine...kind of gross, but very exciting as well!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi melca509,

I'm trying out the FF starting today. I am doing this as an initiation to Induction. I hope to do this for 4-5 days, then start a modified FF for another 6-7 days and then start Induction.

I have found some additional recipes that seem very good but wanted to see if you think they might stall the process...one involves 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter, 1 oz cream cheese, 1 tbsp heavy cream. It adds up to just over 200 calories but is great! What do you think?

Also, I'm incredibly active. I workout 5x a week including 3 days of running 4-7 miles or 60 minutes of cardio, plus 3 days of weight training. I don't want to stop my exercise routine but don't want to overstrain my body and lose only water weight. I have at least 25-30 pounds to lose but have been stalled at 150 for about 2 months (but I wasn't on Atkins). I've done Atkins before (3 years ago but was 21 at the time) and had great success so I thought this FF plan might be a good way to start again.

Do you have any thoughts or recommendations? I have gotten a lot of mixed messages on the FF plan. I desperately want to lower my body fat % which is at an all time high of 29.

Thanks!
J
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 02:44
Registered Member

Plan: based on atkins
Stats: 213/200/140 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

Where on the Atkins site can I find more info about the Fat Fast plan?

I tried this link and it didn't work
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html
I got this error message "Atkins Online: Error Message 404 - Page Not Found"
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 07:36
Registered Member

Default Fat Fast

Dear Jenn,

I do not think pb is allowed in FF, as it has 4 carbs per TBS. Also, It might not be that effective, if you introduce PB while fatfasting.

Koloka: I have also tried the link, but surprisingly it does not work for me either. you can find some information at Tips and stalls and other threads in the archive. Saw many people who have copy and paste all the information provided in the Atkins article.

Saluditos

Agua
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 14:30
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 7%

hi agua,

thanks for the input. i actually haven't moved forward with a fat fast...i keep contemplating whether that is a smart thing to do. i have done so many "fasting" type things to my body. i hate to think what all of my damage has done to my body.

a question about your experience with fat fasting though. i am a very active person. i work out 5x a week with 3 days of weight training. i do anywhere from 50-80 minutes of cardio including 3 days of running. did you find that your energy level was high enough while fat fasting to workout? i don't know if i would feel comfortable taking off so many days.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

jenn
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 20:15
Registered Member

Default FF and exercise

I think that even while in a low fat diet, it is very difficult to workout with 1,000 calories. Specially because you will live with only 5% of Carbs and less than 15% proteins. If you are really active, my opinion is that in your first ff at least you will have to give up cardio or do it moderately .

I did quit the gym when starting the ff for the first time, but I found easier to work out with while modified ffing plus some supplements (thermogenics) to have more energy. You should quit the gym but it is only for 5 days, and I think it is worth it.
Anyway you should ask Meg S. who carried out an " on her own" ff and had energy enough to work out pretty hard.

Good luck,

AGua
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 09:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 262/225/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

today is my last day on fat fast (lost 6 lbs.) any advice to reintroduce the carb diet without gaining weight? i was in a serious stall had been for 4 months the fast broke it,but now afraid to go back to induction please help
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 13:16

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Denise,
I did the ff a couple of weeks ago and lost 6 lbs in 5 days. I then moved to the modified ff for about 6 days and then back to regular induction. I have lost another 1/2 pound and have not gained anything back. I think if you ease your body back into induction you will do fine. I am planning to do it again if I have another stall.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 15:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 262/225/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

thanks,Monster66 sorry to say i went back to clean induction and am slowly adding back more calories doing 100 more daily but after 3 days on induction & counting calories (i hate counting calories) i have gained back 3.5 lbs back,i tried so hard not to gain back it is just soo depressing i am trying sooo hard. what exactly is the modified fat fast? i will continue to add back calories 100 per day while doing clean induction my carbs are approx. 15 daily now .

i will follow your routine monster66 redo ff then do mff (when i know how do do it )then do induction again
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 18:59

BF:

Denise,
The modified ff is really just adding another 200 calories to the 1000 you ate on the ff. You still eat the high fat percentage but at 1200 calories a day for a week and then back to clean induction. It is TOM for me so I have not dropped any more but hopefully I will soon. Good luck.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 19:01

BF:

Denise,
Also do you have the Atkins book? That goes into detail on foods to eat during ff and mff.

Last edited by monster66 : Mon, Jan-31-05 at 19:02. Reason: misspelling
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 21:29
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Read the book? Why would anyone want to do that

at this stage when the low carb forum is so much handier?