Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question ***Vancouver Island - product locations***

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to where low carb stuff can be purchased on Vancouver Island. It's great when we see where stuff is located on the Mainland but I'm sure most of us aren't just poppin' over there all the time....so here goes. Please add any store, location and what products they have (add prices too if you like). Please make it stores only on the Island, not ones that will send mail order stuff - that's expensive too! I don't think it will take long at all and we'll have a great resource of Island yummies!!!

QUALITY FOODS
Nanaimo
-Advantage Bars - reg. $2.99
-Atkins Peanut Butter cups - reg. $1.99
-Ross Chocolate bars - reg. $1.69 but usually on for $1.50 (or put them as your daily special on the QF web page and get up to four per day for $1.09)
-Atkins Quick Cuisine pancake/waffle mix - reg. around $7.50 (currently on special for around $4.50 - Sept. 06/03)

QF has a web page where you can up a Daily Special of your own (excluding dairy, veggies and most perishables). So, you can get better prices than these any time. Check their web page for more info - it's a great deal. (No, I don't work there or own the store or anything - just like supporting a Vancouver Island company).

There are also other locations of QF around the Island - I'm pretty sure they all carry the same stock.

ISLAND NATURAL
Nanaimo
-Pure Delite chocolate bars - basically idential to Ross chocolate bars but approximately $1.00 MORE!!! This store doesn't seem to want to stock Ross chocolate bars which surprises me considering they are made in BC and basically have the same ingredients.
-Advantage Bars - $?

When I first started LCing I shopped for the few LC goodies that they had at Island Natural. That was 10 months ago and they don't appear to be getting any new products in and I personally feel the prices are very high.

GNC
Nanaimo
I haven't been here for probably over six months so I don't know what new products they have but when I originally when there 10 months ago they had Atkins Bars and Atkins bake mix. The bars were close to $5.00 each and the bake mix was about $20.00 for one container. I was told by staff that they do not compete with other stores prices as they feel if you do all your shopping there you will even out in the end - ??? O...K!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 19:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default Quality Foods

According to QF's web page they also have Atkins pancake syrup, muffin mixes (blueberry, corn & banana) and Endulge bars. I haven't seen any of these in the store but then again I haven't looked for them.

S.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 19:46
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Suzan,

Have you entered these into our "Low Carb Yellow Pages" (at the right side of the screen)? That's where we encourage people to post local shops and restaurants where low carb items are readily available.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Victoria:
  • Lifestyle Markets
Ladysmith:
  • Ladysmith Health Food Store
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 08:26

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Low Carb Bread

There are now at least four places which are carrying Low Carb Breads.
1. The House of Nutrition (Colwood Corners)
2. Lifestyles (Douglas St)
3. Capers (Saanich Center)
4. I don't know the name but a shop on Blanchard St. between View St. & Fort on the left had side has a sign in the Window saying "Low Carb Bread".
More Atkins products are showing up here. The muffin mixes have arrived but they seel out fast so I haven't be able to try it yet.
The bread arrives at Capers on Tues. & Thurs I was told.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:

Was at the Victoria Costco yesterday, and for those who like them, Atkins Peanut Butter Cups are available. Cost is just under 20.00 for a case of 15, whichis a great price!!

Glenda
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 02:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
There are now at least four places which are carrying Low Carb Breads.
1. The House of Nutrition (Colwood Corners)
2. Lifestyles (Douglas St)
3. Capers (Saanich Center)
4. I don't know the name but a shop on Blanchard St. between View St. & Fort on the left had side has a sign in the Window saying "Low Carb Bread".
More Atkins products are showing up here. The muffin mixes have arrived but they seel out fast so I haven't be able to try it yet.
The bread arrives at Capers on Tues. & Thurs I was told.

To my knowledge, the first 3 Health Food Stores are carrying one or both of either the Bond Bond's low carb baked bread (that's the 4th listed, Bond Bond's Bakery) or the Swedish Bakery's low carb baked bread.

Usually you have to sign up on a wait list at the bakery for the fresh bred (and the best price). The stores, just get there on the right day.

The Atkins mixes (Pancake, 3 kinds of muffin/quickbread, the Syrup) are showing up at a number of large retailers now (Safeway, Fairways, London Drugs). It seems the local/Western Canada distributor of Atkins has struck some big deals.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 13:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:

Was at Costco in Langford yesterday, and they have Atkins Advantage bars now. 30.00 for a case of 15. It is a mix of chocolate flavours. But this time they had no peanut butter cups.

Glenda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 01:35
Registered Member

Default brownies!

Fresh ready to eat handmade deluxe brownies to have with your Americano or decaf cappuccino breve! At
  1. Lifestyle Markets on Douglas (2950), in the deli coldcase
  2. Castello's Coffee on Douglas (1802)
Yum, great with cream cheese on the side.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 21:34

Plan: Sommersizing
Stats: 174/148.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Found a Low Carb friendly Restraunt

[SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo] Hi Victorian's. Sorry I have been missing in Action.. But back on track!
Sunday Hubby took me out for breaky. Not a Challenge for me but was pleasantly surprized when the first thing that caught my eye was a low carb menu - which was an addition to thier own menu
This most wonderful restraunt is Humpties on Bay. They have Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner area of it.. They said it is because of the Curves in the same center as them. All I can say is YEAH!!!![FONT=Comic Sans MS]
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 02:17

Plan: Curves
Stats: 226/198/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

All the grocery stores in Duncan have the Atkins Advantage Bars. Country Grocer has the muffins, pancake mix and syrup.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 22:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I have'nt been in to see it yet, but Buns Master in Courtenay is making low carb bread 3 carbs per slice.

Kathy
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 22:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default Low Carb Store

There's a new low carb store in Nanaimo. It's called Low Karbz or something like that and it's located in Rock City Centre, near Wendy's and Tim Horton's. I checked it out yesterday but wasn't too impressed. I realize that they are probably waiting for more stock to come in but that wasn't the problem - the prices, from a few things I checked, were not very good. For instance, my sister-in-law ordered Thick and Thin by mail order and she paid $20.00 plus some shipping...not sure what the shipping was because she ordered lots of other stuff too. Anyway, the package of Thick and Thin was $31.95 at this store - that's way too much. They also had the Ross chocolate bars and Atkins Advantage bars but they are cheaper at many other places, especially Quality Foods where you can get the bars for $1.09 if you set them up as your Daily Special and you can get the Advantage bars for $1.99 on Daily Special.

I also noticed that they had pasta, cereal, pancake mixes, syrup, jams and some other stuff but I'm not sure what the prices of these should be.

One of the other high-priced items I thought was the package of Crystal Lite for $3.09 a package - WOW! I think I pay just around $2.00 at Walmart.

Anyway, who knows, it might do okay if people want to pay for the stuff you can't get anywhere else (pasta, cereal, etc.) but the way things are going the low carb stuff is going to be common place in many stores - Quality Foods has numerous items already and I'm sure they'll keep getting more.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:31

Stats: 205/178/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:don't know
Progress: 49%

In Nanaimo, Food Country also has the Atkins Bars 2.99, Endulge 1.99, and Muffin mixes 5.98... The store manager says that he is planning to bring in a full line of low carb products. I've been meaning to check out wal mart, has anybody tried there?? Do they have anything worthwhile?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:52
Registered Member

BF:

Debbie, that's a good price for the muffin mixes at Food Country - they're over $7.00 everywhere else ($7.49 at Quality Foods but when I put them on my Daily Special at Quality Foods I get them for $5.89).

I shop at Wal Mart regularly and they have a few things...Advantage Bars, Ross Chocolate bars (limited selection), sugar free syrup. It's all in the area near the pharmacy. Now and then they have a three pack of the pourable Splenda for around $11.00.