Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I would have to say combo of having my two children/gaining with the pregnancy, and pictures, I didn't realize how I looked.
Not any ONE thing in particular!!

Heidi
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 150/140.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:doo/bee/doo
Progress: 32%

Great thread! I'd wanted to lose some weight for a while, but could never get my act together. Then we went out to dinner with an annoying couple and they were bragging about how they went on Atkins and lost all this weight but all they could eat on it was chicken Caesar salads and I thought, if those losers can do it, then so can I!

And I think I've only had chicken Caesar salad once.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:38

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

ONLY chicken ceasar salad??? Where did they get that from??? I mean, ya, sounds good.. but I don't even think I've had one!!!

I find it so interesting that not many of us started because someone else was doing it.. and of course we're all up against much friction over this WOE...

I also find it interesting how many people lost then gained on low fat/low-cal/high carb diets... I dont' think I could have lost in the first place. I find the whole WW thing incredible (surreal, not good... )
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:18

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

When I realized my size 14 jeans were not going to fit any longer if I didn't get my butt in gear & do something (I think I actually peaked out around 215). I am cheap & HATE shopping (could have to do w/ being overweight my entire life...), so getting any larger was out of the question! Now, 35#'s later, my 14's sag off my behind and 12's are more the norm!
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 17:42

Plan: The Ketogenic Diet/Atkins
Stats: 295/200/199 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 99%

I promised myself after I went to Europe for the first time that I would lose weight so that I could enjoy it more the next time. Then I suddenly got sent to Europe again without having lost the weight and I kept getting winded walking around everywhere and going up and down so many steps. I remember thinking how much more enjoyable it would have been if I had just lost the weight the first. At that moment I dedicated myself to losing weight again.

Next time there is a trip I will be ready!
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 23:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/372/130 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 10%

My regular doctor sent me to a surgeon to talk about a hernia I need repaired. When I arrived at the surgeon's office, I looked around the room and everyone there except one child was overweight; most very obese. I'm usually the biggest person in the room, so I sat up and took notice. I had an inkling before I saw the doctor that he had a "specialty" and sure enough his first question was, "So when do you want to have your surgery?". I was shocked! I had no idea my hernia was that bad I say. He says, "I didn't know you had a hernia. I thought you were here for a by-pass". I just looked at him and said, "I would never choose to have elective surgery." He tells me he won't even do the by-pass until I lose 40 lbs. I tell him if I could lose 40 lbs., I wouldn't need the surgery. He says, "Oh yes, you will, because you'll just put it back on if you don't have the by-pass done". I came home that day and started reading everything I could find on dieting. Atkins stuck out as best for me. I'm supposed to see him again in January. I hope he gets a big surprise!
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 23:20
Determined2bSlim

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5'8"
BF:35.1/no idea/20
Progress: 53%

After spending a month at home with my folks this past summer and seeing the way they eat and the shape they are in physically. I don't want to look like that when I am my mom's age. Gaining 10 pounds on holiday that I had worked so hard to get rid of. The next time I visit, I will know how to eat properly and keep the gain to a minimum.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:03

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

I became borderline gestational-diabetic when I got pregnant with my first child at the age of 35. Even though my sugar stabilized after giving birth, I knew that GD put me at a much higher risk for developing type two diabetes, especially with my weight problem and family history. For 18 months after my daughter was born, I struggled with low fat dieting. I managed to lose what I had gained during my pregnancy, then I plateaued. I would have hypoglycemic symptoms before lunch and after work - yawning furiously on the short drive home. Then in May a colleague announced she and her husband were going on Atkins. She's a programmer, like me, and he's an honors graduate of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey and one of the smartest people I know. For years I had bought into the "Atkins will kill you mentality", but since John was convinced it was healthy, I secretly bought the book, read it cover to cover in two nights, and went on induction the same time they did. Now I'm approximately 20 pounds down and counting...
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 22:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 189/187/124 Female 60.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

It started in January of 2002. We went on a trip to Oklahoma to see family/friends.

I was still thinking that I was in a size 12 or 14, like I had been when I got married and had always been. As I was always wearing men's jeans, I assumed that. Never assume!

We went to JC Penney's to get me 2 new pairs of jeans. I tried 12's...no luck. 14's...barely went past my hips. I was wondering what the problem was...my dh bought a pair of 16's into the dressing room. I tried them on, they fit perfectly!

I was so embarrassed, humiliated, you name it. I was ashamed of myself.
I couldn't believe I had let myself go like that!
I felt disgusting, and didn't want my dh looking at me.

We purchased the jeans.

I remained stoic until we reached the car, where I started sobbing uncontrollably.
My dh just held me. He knew how I felt.

When we got back to CA, I started Slim-Fast. Lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks, but was always starving. That's when MIL and FIL told me about Atkins. I was skeptical. Dh encouraged me to try it. So I did.

And here I am. I have taken time off from lc'ing (BAD, BAD idea! ), having thought I reached my goal weight (turns out, defective scale). I was actually about 10-15 pounds away.
I gained 15 pounds back, but am losing again. And this time, I plan on really reaching goal!
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well, here is my quickstart - these pics were taken at a work team outing in July 2001. This wasn't even at my heaviest 201.5 - these were about 196, I think.

The other one I took today at 168 lbs.

Last edited by Redfallon : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 14:34.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 193.5/185/145 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 18%

My "jumpstart" was actually worse for my husband than it was for me...

A friend of ours had sent us some pictures they had taken while they were visiting. I thumbed through the pictures only to find my husband in a lip-lock with some woman! I pitched a fit and accused him of cheating on me, insisting that I had proof. Of course, he insisted on seeing this proof...

I whipped out the picture and tossed it at him. He looked at the picture, looked at me, and burst out laughing. The picture was of him kissing me...I didn't even recognize myself!

That sure motivated me!
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 17:35

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDoll
My "jumpstart" was actually worse for my husband than it was for me...

A friend of ours had sent us some pictures they had taken while they were visiting. I thumbed through the pictures only to find my husband in a lip-lock with some woman! I pitched a fit and accused him of cheating on me, insisting that I had proof. Of course, he insisted on seeing this proof...

I whipped out the picture and tossed it at him. He looked at the picture, looked at me, and burst out laughing. The picture was of him kissing me...I didn't even recognize myself!

That sure motivated me!

That is way too funny!
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 13:57
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Jamie: Your before and after pictures look marvelous! Keep up the good work... mad
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:18

Plan: Primal
Stats: 132/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Well... I had a couple of things leading up to this.

I was in third or fourth grade... These two girls used to follow me and my best friend home and taunt us and I was graciously given the nickname "Butterball."

Think back a few years ago... I went to work with my college church group to work for a week and a half at an orphanage in Mexico. The kids were congratulating me on my "baby." Too bad I wasn't pregnant!

About a year and a half ago, a relative of mine (an old man, grumpy and outspoken, kind of awnry) was staying with us and as I was making dinner at my parent's house, he asked me, "So, who knocked you up?" Naturally I was really shocked and didn't know how to respond. Then he went on to say, "Looks like you have a bit of a belly there... maybe you should exercise." I ended up locking myself in the bathroom and crying inconsolably for hours.

I ended up struggling with eating disorders over the course of time and have tried every diet and exercise regime I could find... even down to the Hollywood Detox Diet where you drink that nasty juice for two days.

This is the only thing that has worked and you know what? For the first time in my whole life I feel energetic, and am starting to feel more confident and at home in my skin. And the problems with my eating have pretty much gone away.

I can't believe I've finally found something that works and makes me feel so good!

Thanks for listening!
Tangie
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 21:09

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/170/125 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/18%
Progress:

My jumpstart was when a 'blind' aunt made a comment about my weight . . .
I started exercising in June, 2003. I was motivated when I attended my daughter's 5th grade promotion ceremony. She got an award for being athletic. Her coach said that part of the reason she got the award was that the family exercized todether. The problem was that we had not done so since November of last year! So, I began my exercise program in June.
I when to an out of town family reunion in the last week of June. I have an aunt who is diabetic, and losing her sight. I am 39, she is about 72. She used to be extremely overweight, but since her diagnosis several years ago, has lost a lot!!! of weight. She saw me through those diseased eyes and said, "You are getting fat! Have you gained weight?" I told her that I have, but I had just started an exercise program. She said, "Don't let yourself go like that! It's not worth it!" I knew that I was in denial about my weight and if a legally blind woman could tell that I had gained a lot of weight , then others could too. I restarted Atkins, and since then I have lost a lot of weight. My waist has gone from 40'' to 34.5" from June 28 to today!!! I won't get on the scale until I am at 34", then I can talk about the weight I have lost!

Thanks for the thread!