Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/143/130 Female 64
BF:?/29.2/23-OMG
Progress: 68%

Two sided story for me…
1) I have 3 kids and from that it has brought my attention to my weight. I knew I had to lose weight. I tried exercising more and once I had lost all my 40 pounds from it, but naturally it came back.
2) My grandmother is pure Japanese. As you know most Japanese women are very tiny and try to perfect their look. Seems like I am the biggest one in the family ... lol. Anyway, I visit my grandparent’s maybe once a year sometimes longer. The first thing my grandmother says to me is “Your fat. Look at your arms they are big. Your getting fat” She has been saying this every start of a visit for 5 years or so now. I suppose I shall wait till I lose my weight and give her a shock
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 03:51

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper Greg
I overheard someone refer to me as Meatloaf. Enough said.

Hey, that happened to me too. I was hoping it was my face and long hair !!!

Met
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:37

Stats: 323/291.8/220 Male 77
BF:34.0
Progress: 30%

I guess it was when I was sitting down and tried to tie my sneakers and almost passed out from lack of oxygen because I couldn't breathe. But then again it has been quite hard since when I started I was 6'5" tall and weighed 349#. I would get on a scale and I would see the patent pending number. LOL. I have been heavy for a very long time. I went to my Doctor and he was the one that suggested Atkins and from that point on, here I am...
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:47
Registered Member

Stats: 155/144.5/125 Female 62
BF:39%/36%/24%
Progress: 35%
My mom remarked on how overweight I was.....
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Angry Accumulation ended with insults

I was always thin - came out of college at 134lbs 5'9" In my mid thirties started to gain weight that was noticable. Remember at 160 - could not stand the thought of being 160 - but could not do anything about it. Then kept blowing up until my wife and I were on a trip and she took my picture. I could not believe the stomach I had sticking out. Kept blowing up until 195lbs. That was it! I hurt around my waist everyday. Had to get 38 waist pants which never felt comfortable. My pants would always be pushed down by my belly. Then I was in a bar and this guy came in and said - gary when is your baby due? Really pissed me off - I mean really really pissed me off! Then was at my parents 50th wedding anniversary dinner and one of their old friends at the end came up to me and said - you know one thing your Dad did was maintain his weight. That stung too!

Fortunately I ran out of reading material on a business trip - picked up Atkins book and started cold turkey that next Monday April 1.

Why do I stick to LC WOE for life - The story I just related keeps rolling around my head to keep me true. Feel so much better - pains around my waist went away.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 10:27

Stats: 250/211/180 Male 6
BF:Dont know
Progress: 56%

Been Fat all my life. Made fun of all my life. Been rejected by women all my life. The last time broke the camels back(more like the mammoths back). Also starting to loose my hair at the age of 24. I dont intend on staying big fat tall and bald. If i'm gonna be bald by the time i'm 30 by golly i'm gonna be bald and look darn good!!!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:11

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Several things:

- I was gaining about 5 lbs a year for 3 years since I left college and started working in the IT environment

- I was sick and tired of looking chunky and hiding behind baggy pants

- recent pictures taken of me made me realize I was going on my way to 130lbs if I didn't do something about it

- I'd been wanting my bf to lose some weight and get back in shape... the only way I can set a good example is to successfully lose weight myself

- I don't want to be one of the very few fat Asian

- even though I wasn't overweight (I was still in the borderline "healthy" weight area), I wanted to get back in shape and feel better about myself physically, mentally, and emotionally
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:09
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

well...

First off i have a closet full of gorgeous clothes that don't fit...
I feel like no matter how healthy (high carb) i ate... i still managed to gain weight.

My boyfriend and i have dated both when i was skinny ( almost unhealthy skinny) and then 1 yr later when i was no longer skinny at all.
He has told me that he loves me both ways...
But i have quit loving me... soooo decided to make a change... and i know he is excited that i made the decision on my own..
And helps me not to cheat all the time.. telling me how proud he is of me.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkins but moving to SBD
Stats: 279/238/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Reason: Afraid I was going to die if I didn't change.

Event: Somebody bet me I couldn't do it.

Result: Don't bet against someone as stubborn as me.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 197/185/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Saw a picture of myself in a dress I *thought* I looked pretty good in.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 14:20

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow, well I guess I had some reasons after all.

1. Feeling tired, run down and all that horrible stuff. Not having energy to play with the kids.

2. I was growing out of my size 16's and refusing to buy 18's. I was also growing out of my DD bras and had no clue (and didn't want to find out) what size comes after DD.

3. I was running into people here and there that I had not seen in a while which made me conscious of my weight (i.e. they had never seen me that fat and I'm sure they commented to someone about it after we parted!)

4. It seems like everyone I work with is young and skinny. It makes you more conscious of yourself having that in your face all day. I can't turn back the clock but I can turn back the scale.

5. Being just a few pounds shy of 200. Also, seeing my weight plotted on a weight chart and realizing I had moved into the "obese" category.

6. My oldest daughter asking me every few months with this excited twinkle in her eye "are you growing another baby in there?!?!"

7. Not wanting to shop at the "fat store" anymore because yes, the clothes are UGLY!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:52

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

A little over a year ago, my Uncle died [at age 51.] The night I found out about his death [I didn't know what caused his death at the time,] I went to the All-You-Can Eat Buffet and ate probably half my weight in Carbs. A few days later, I helped carry his casket as they put it in the ground.

In the coming months, I found out his official cause of Death was Hypertension. I believe, nay am sure, his condition was caused by his eating mostly low-calorie/low-fat crap [for years] that had been loaded with Sugar and Salt to replace the lost taste. He always thought he'd lose weight eating that way...Instead it killed him. Not long after I found out what caused his death, I went on Atkins...at the suggestion of a friend.

I wish he had still been alive when I went on Atkins. I'm sure I could have gotten him to try it and his health would have greatly improved. Atkins reversed my High Blood Pressure and gave me very good Cholesterol, Triglycerides, and Blood Sugar. I am sure, given the chance he could have done the same and maybe lived another 20-30 years.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 16:17

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Mine was a comment from a loving family member. My brother. He has been over weight his whole life and took one look at me and ask "How does if feel to be fat?" I knew about atkins and decided to get started. 8 months later I was 65 lbs lighter. Atkins works.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:23
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

For all the newbies out there and for those who missed this the first time... it was a lot of fun so I thought I would keep the string alive. mad
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

We were going to our best friends wedding. I purchased a dress for it about a month before. The morning of, I couldn't even get it zipped up, I was so upset I didn't want to go - I ended up wearing something I would go to work in -- that did it for me.

Vikki