Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/138/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I think that is one of the negatives of ths WOE I have information overload .However Chrissee I still believe that calories do count (for me) so I am staying low , approx 1000 and 20 carbs or less, you see from my activities I should have no weight to lose ! Yet here I am ! Yesterday I had 1 hardboiled egg,vienna sausages (small tin) 1/4 cuke with tzakziki.ceasar salad with olives,egg and mozza (home made dressing),diet jello /heavy ceam 2 tbs. Atkins says count only the digestible carbs which makes 2cups romain only 0.8 carbs. Am I right in this thinking?About 20 grams in total I think .
Anyone else can "weigh in" on my intake .No pun intended LOL.
BTW Chrissee I come from Middlesex nr Heathrow airport UK and came to Canada 42 yrs ago . You?
Pippa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:26
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

This is what I've gathered through this thread and reading. Your body has a set caloric need for basic metabolic function, then more calories according to your activity needs. If you consume too few calories, your body will go into an anti-starvation mode and hang on to every fat cell it can find!! You can consume more calories eating LC because protein calories are not as easily converted to be stored as fat. Carbohydrates are. Most extra protein calories are excreted as waste when not used. You can stall or even gain if you eat WAY TOO MANY calories from fat and protein. That's why most people who go LC watch the saturated fat contentent of there food, keep it LC and hi protein. But good fats like olive and canola oil are good to keep in because your body needs them for good metabolic function.

Exercise: Too much is as bad as none. Exercise itself really doesn't make you loose a lot of weight. It tones your muscles, and keeps your body healthy so it can function properly to process what you eat the way it should. Too much stresses your adrenal glands and leads to a whole slew of other problems.

Hope this info helps! Happy eating!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 10:44

Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Pippa

"Information overload" well put!! I an originally from New Zealand, moved to Rayleigh Essex, UK in 1976 and here to Chicago 1980. we still own a home in NZ. Do you get back yo the UK much. I still have one son & D I Law living in London, so I pop over as often as possible. My other kids and Grand kids are in NZ. I really love the UK,- still not sure about the USA - I guess being older the culteral shock and intergration is harder. My hubbie is from New Castle - but I forgive him!! Well, Im going back to re read Lizzie B's coments... I see that too much exercise is bad as well.sh...t
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 10:51

BF:

Lizzie B

Thanks for the info, I have printed it out so I can "digest" it at leasure. Really interested to hear about the exercise.. amybe I'm doing too much.. would love to cut down, anyway. One more thing, though, can you give some idea on percentages of saturated fat, or any more info. sorry to have to ask, but I have read so much about all this in other threads..I have permanent 'senior moments' and just can't grasp it... sad, isn't it????
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:22
Plemorphist

Wish I could help you there. It really depends on the program you're following. I try not to get too hung up on exact numbers, because personal needs differ from day to day. (And I'm a little compulsive, so if I start tracking something it tends to consume me.) But if you're stalled on the program you're on, it wouldn't hurt to lower sat fat intake and eat more veggies. Fiber fills you up and takes longer to digest so you don't get as hungry as often. Good for colon health too!!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:45
Plemorphist

Here is a metabolic calculator I found on line. http://www.room42.com/nutrition/basal.shtml It gives the fat/protein/carb %'s of standard diet. But the caloric part is there. You could tweek the %'s according to the plan you're on. And remember when you get down to your last 10lbs, it will go slow because you are already close to you maintenance caloric intake. I'm on the Schwartzbein Principle, so I probably eat more carbs than you guys do, I shoot for 9-11 oz of protein a day (72 - 88 g), and no more than 150 g carbs a day. I don't eat a lot of sat fat. I eat low fat cottage cheese and part-skim low moisture mozarella. I keep bacon to a treat a couple of times a month and don't eat the fat on my chops or roast. And I've maintained this weight for 2 months. If I want to lose the last 6 lb I'll have to do a little more to get it off. Another big difference, I'm allergic to wheat, so the only grains I eat are oatmeal, rice and splet, and not that often. My carbs are mostly fruits and starchy veggies. I think the last time I did a caloric add, I'm eatting around 1400 cal a day. There are other calculators out there. Surf around someday and see what you can find!

Last edited by m1whowaits : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 12:31.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:49

BF:

That is so fantastic, thanks a lot.. I am pretty sure I am not eating enough cals after seeing that. I am definately going to track all the cals, carbs, proten and fat and see what gives. I actually have an electronic food counter, so will haul it out and use it. I only have 10 -12lb to lose, so I know its dificult plus I'm not gaining, thats a good thing. Thanks again for all your help..I'll keep you posted
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:51
Plemorphist

If you haven't tryed it there is a site called http://www.fitday.com you load in everything you eat and it will chart and graph all the %'s for you and has lots of other nifty features. It's free too!!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:10
Registered Member

BF:

LizzyB.
I too thank you for your input and help. I will look more closely at the calculator after the long weekend.Your woe looks suspiciously sensible to me ,extremely well balanced not too low in cals or protein and it works for you!! Mmmmmm this may be altogether against the law.Your stats. look super well done LizzyB.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:20
Registered Member

BF:

No Chrissie I do not go back to the U.K. I am so Canadian .I have a niece in Jesmond Newcastle upn..they own the Jesmond Hotel. My brother is in Rothbury. We were back 4yrs ago to Hereford,Peterborough and Wales all my husbands connections .My son left at 3pm today for UK . Rome, Netherlands etc.
I am hanging in with this woe it is not bad and I feel pretty good especially when I remember to eat!!I will be away next week that will be the moment of truth right ?
pippa
Pippa
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 08:48

BF:

Pippa

I am off on vacation tomorrow so that will be my moment of truth as well. Hope you have a great week away. probably miss this forum though, it's so addictive!!!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 09:15
Registered Member

BF:

have a good time Chrissie ,let us know when you get back
Pippa
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey !!! Is 57 old???? haha I dont think so...Actually being on LCWL is absolutely awesome. I have lost 11 pds, feeling great , looking good, what can I say !!! And we dont need to go to the the ELDER SIGHT...At least not yet . haha. I would love to be your buddy. Keep up the good work, dont lose heart, this does work..I promise. Mysty
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Helloooooo Is 57 Old ?? haha I dont think so.
And we dont need to go to the Elder Room !!! I will be your buddy if you like...Feeling great, looking good love to watch the weight come off and clothes get hangey !!! Dont fret, it works. Mysty