Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:20

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalizbet
Giving up the fruit will be hard----I don't mind the sacrifice if it means losing the weight, but I'll just have to build some new plans without it, especially since I've been eating cottage cheese w/fruit for lunch every day forever (it seems).
Hello Shalizbet,
I know cutting back on the fruit will be hard, but it's only temporary. Down the road, you may even realize you don't need/want that much. It can be a challenge to figure out what to replace it with. You'll manage. This is not "standard" advice, nor would I give it to just anyone. Fruit has alot of sugar, albiet good sugar, it's sugar nontheless. Try to stick with the lower gycemic ones and keep them earlier in the day. If you really want to get tough, no fruit after noon.
Quote:
I know the walnuts aren't on the favorable list but thought I could have unfavorable choices as long as I don't let them dominate.
That is true, esp. when applied towards carbs. Overall, higher monounsaturated fats are the best choice. I'll see if I can find a chart I have with numbers, and post. I am absolutely addicted to toasted slivered almonds! They go great on a salad.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure 11 blocks is where I belong.
Based on what you've said, I think you're right. Is there any way you could begin to incorporate resistance/weight training? The more muscle you have, the more you burn. It would not be a temporary endevour though.
Quote:
In the meantime, I'm going to drop one carb and add a fat for a few days.
That is not a bad idea. Remember, drop one carb per meal (9grams = 39.6 calories). Replace with 4.5grams fat = 40.5 calories) Do not adjust your snacks.
Quote:
tried adding a second 30 minute walk here and there when I could get it into the schedule
That's good, and should help. Perhaps get your heart rate up there during one of your walks (220-age X .75), which means you're really going to have to pick up the pace. I've seen some ladies walking in my neighborhood with hand weights, doing bicep curls as they go. Can't hurt, and would get the heart rate going more. We'll get you past this stall yet!

As far as meat goes.... Well the rule is pre-cooked weight and I think that equates to approx 1/2 ounce. Personally, I'm not that precise, and I've not had a problem, but I do a lot of weight training, so I can get away with extra protein. Maybe, just for now, weigh out the precooked weight, see what it comes out to, cook it, and then weigh it. Then you'll know for sure.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 18:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Thanks, Zonecoach, for your advice. Have switched to almonds, dropped one carb and added one fat, given up fruit after noon, and limited it elsewhere. Will try to increase walking speed, though it's hard to get my heartrate up high enough without stressing the injured foot on which I'm having the surgery in a few weeks (I'm lucky to be able to do any fitness walking on it at all). Will see if I can get heartrate up on exercise bike though I'll have to build some new leg muscles to do it. Because I am relatively fit, my heart rate doesn't rise without my having to do quite a bit. And I will try to get to the weight training, but I anticipate a lot of difficulty fitting it into the schedule. I'm going to do my best because it was one of my goals for the summer. I just got derailed by the foot injury and a back injury.

I feel that HulaHula's thread has been taken over by my concerns. Hula, I'm sorry----if you're still with us. How are you doing? Really didn't mean to drive you away!