Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%
Question How's PP different than Atkins??

Is it better??? Is there a site I can visit without buying another book??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 07:20

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Obviously I think PP is the way to go since that's the plan I follow . There is a site for PP - www.eatprotein.com - but, in all honesty, you'll get a lot more information and instruction by reading either PP or PPLP than you will from just visiting the site and reading the FAQ's. Is there maybe a library you could get the book from to read? Personally, I think it's very important to have as many details as possible about a plan in order to truly follow the plan as it's written.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:48

Thanks Shadow01,

I'll see if the library has a copy! Were you on Atkins or you've always been on PP?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:20

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Actually, I originally read Atkins and thought I had started induction, but comparing my book (1996, I think) to a friend's book (white cover, earlier edition) and to the Atkins web site, my induction list was different than theirs - and my book didn't mention subtracting fiber, etc - so I wasn't truly following induction depending on what source was used. In my frustration with the inconsistencies, I picked up a copy of PPLP. And from there on out, I became a PP follower. I could just relate to PP better than Atkins. There were no forbidden foods or specialized lists to follow to get started, and I think that was the deciding factor - along with what appeared, in my opinion, to be an overall healthier WOL.

I hope your library has a copy for you to read . I read PPLP first, but then wanted to read PP for the calculations for LBM, protein, etc, so I got a copy of it. Now I refer to both books on a regular basis. Hopefully you can get your hands on one or the other .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 17:19
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi JJ,

While I definitely agree with Shadow that you should read PP and/or PPLP, you'll find a quick rundown of Protein Power in "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen.

Although I'm still doing Atkins, I found the Protein Power book to be very helpful in explaining a lot of the "workings" of LC generally, so reading it is a good idea whether or not you choose to change plans.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 20:14

Thanks Shadow and Rosebud,

I'll check out the PP and see what I think! I was just wondering what the majority of folks have best luck with, or if there is a preference!!

Have a great day!!!

JJ
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Atkins name is pretty well synonymous with low-carbing and a lot of people don't realize that there are even other plans out there. For my money, there's nothing like PP!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 06:09

Thanks Karen,

I guess what I'm looking for is:

Why do folks prefer PP over Atkins?

No one has really answered that yet! Do you find it to be easier to stick to or less restrictive? It appears you've had great success losing the weight at 84% and you own a restaurant??? How do you do it???

Just curious little 'ol me................JJ
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 17:22

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well JJ...personally I prefer Protein Power because it is more flexible.... As long as the food item fits into my carb count for the day I eat it...even corn... For me the key was finding a way of eating that I could live with...that means something that is flexible... Also, Atkins advocates lots of packaged stuff and I don't care for those things... Also, too much fat was getting too me on Atkins... PP makes you calculate the minimum amount of protein needed for your body type...Atkins just says eat until full.... I've tried Atkins several times and failed... However, I have been on PP for over a month now and have not cheated once... It really just depends on the persons needs...as others have stated you have to figure out your needs and go with the plan that fits YOUR NEEDS!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:47

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I heard about Atkins from those on the diet, and the restrictions of induction didn't appeal to me. In addition, I read a bit of both Atkins and PPLP, and the PPLP explained the reasons why low-carbing worked better to me. Also, there was no emphasis on ketosis or measuring it -- one less bit of fuss.

I guess I also didn't like the cult of personality building up around Atkins.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:48

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well you've done terrificly on PP ACOHN... Hope that I am as successful as you have been. May I ask how long did it take you??? I have about the same amount to lose as you did....
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/190/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I went to the library and read every low carb book I could get my hands on, with the exception of South Beach, the recipes turned me off totally, so didn't bother reading. The P-Plan explains L/C really well & I was more inclined to stay on it vs the Atkins which is more restricting but somewhat vague. I got my book on E-Bay (a new copy) for $5 w/ shipping. Their cookbook is wonderful too, also borrowed it from the library. (Comfort Foods one). Good luck finding a plan you like. Lynne
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:38

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.
Is it better??? Is there a site I can visit without buying another book??

I was happy with the Eades doctors until they shot that "Pentobasol" infomercial. Their credibility went down the tube (pardon the pun) for me at that time. Any doctor who promotes weight loss in a can, loses me. The information in their book is right-on, though, so that's what surprised me about that Pentobasol Infomercial. JMO

Last edited by Morgan1974 : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 09:52.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:43

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by acohn

I guess I also didn't like the cult of personality building up around Atkins.

Oh, dear! Are we calling Atkins followers a cult? I'm sure I misunderstood your post. Even though I think Atkins is the only way to go, I would never imply that someone else's choice of a WOL is a cult. Sure hope I'm wrong here!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:17

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Ditto, Morgan.
I had been on Atkins for a little over a year and I guess I will always more closely follow the Atkins plan than any other. My only problem with Atkins was since it is much more strict than other plans, when I fell off of the wagon, I fell hard.
Now, I picked up the new PP "low carb for 30 days" book (don't quote me on the title, I can't remember it and it's not with me right now), and find it extremely easy to understand and begin a WOE. I lent my book to a couple of coworkers and they know that all they have to worry about is a certain number of carbs to eat per meal. It is a great book for those who don't want to wade through scientific or medical jargon.

Last edited by upncomer : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 10:18.