Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 18:59

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Angry Ya know how it feels to be told you're disgusting?

Well, Damn. I thought I was doing somthing that would make me easier to look at. I thought I was doing a good job. Taebo-ing everyday, swimming, drinking water, low carbing... losing weight feeling good. I mean, im at the point now, where Im not even craving carbs anymore. At the point where I can totally pass up carbs. and thats an important step for me.
But no, my mom has to be a bitch to me and tell me that "You dont move.. youre not doing anything... your disgusting!!"
THANKS MOM for all the support.
It hurts my feelings to the point of wanting to just QUIT. Shes not ever gonna let me be. It feels like my efforts arent making any impact.
But, im not gonna quit! Im gonna keep on keepin' on (thanks Joe Dirt)
and keep on rockin!
Anyone else have a problem with stupid parents, or unsupportive people?
!!Rock!!
Whit
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 19:40

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Although my father means well. He likes to make comments about my weight. "If you don't do something we will have to get a bigger door". Things like that REALLY do not help, especially when I am trying. He is way more overweight than me and does not try! I may fail but I attempt you know. I think they really think these insults are going to make us lose weight. Geez it's so damn annoying!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:02

BF:

See, my mom is the gross skinny that no one wants to be. And its because she doesnt eat and shes mad that I can loose weight and I do eat. Shes always telling me.. IF YOU WOULD STOP EATING YOUD LOOSE WEIGHT. She makes me so mad. I wish she would back off.
Aren't Parents the worst during this time?? You want support not mean comments!!
well keep on rockin!
luv whit
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 01:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins turned CAD
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 5 ft 2 or 3 in/157-160 cm
BF:30%
Progress: 33%

WOW i can totally relate. my mom (who is 5'5 and 105 pounds) told me while i was running on the treadmill that i had a HUGE stomach. ironic when i'm actually trying to lose the fat is the time my mom pokes at my chubbiness. my dad got sick and lost a lot of weight and called me fat. parents are driving me insane. i love them to death but sometimes they take it too far. anyway everyone can find support at this forum.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:22

BF:

Yeah, thats how my mom is. When Im trying to loose is when she decides shes gonna be mean. My dad actually called me retarded last night because im trying to watch my carbs. Its sooooo frustrating. I try my best to try and loose it and mom and dad decide to be a jerk about it!
Oh well.. Im glad i have someone to relate to! thanks :-)
-Whit
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.5/154.0/122
BF:
Progress: 12%

Well I guess I am lucky. My mom and dad always discourage me to lose weight. They tell me I am beautiful the way I am. I just want you all to know that you do not have to take their criticism. I am the type of person who gets even with someone even my parents who criticize me. I don't try to hurt them or anything I just prove my point. For example, if my father would have told me I better do something or we will have to get a bigger door I would say Dad, I can't lose the weight for you, you have to do it yourself. I mean, do they want you to become anorexic or something. Also, sometimes people with low self esteems will do things like that to make them feel superior. And sometimes plain jealousy contributes. They may be jealous that you are actually making an effort to improve your health and they are not. It just reminds them that they could be doing the same thing if they were not lazy. Anyways sorry for the long post. Just my opinion.

I don't mean any disrespect to your parents.

Last edited by kari5 : Fri, Jul-04-03 at 17:31.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 00:07

BF:

Thanks a whole lot. You make alot of since. and Im glad your parents are supportive of the way you already look. thats how parents should be.
Keep on rockin!!
whitney
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 20:08
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Oh I completely understand. Where I work (I'm 19..) the other day everyone decided to have all the guys make lists of the most attractive to least attractive girls there and all the girls had to make lists of the same for the guys.

Guess who was at the bottom of all the guys' lists? Moi.

I expected it, I guess. But I was unhappy. That was 2 days after the diet, while I was still experiencing cravings. That's what kept me from cheating. I'll show them though. :-D
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 20:35
Pending Member

Stats: 282/222/200 Male 6 foot
BF:not sure...lots?
Progress: 73%
Default What a diffucult thing to face

NovaGirl, (and anyone else in this situation)
I am so sorry your parents SUCK! You seem a very nice person. Your parents should love support and respect you. So what if your size isn't what they want...Find support where you can! You deserve better. You are here doing the best thing for your shape and your health.

The people who would have their children mimic their own behaviours and attitudes should go buy a dog; leave the parenting to others who understand that each person is their own.

My 15 year old daughter (who just happens to be beautiful IMHO) does not dress the way I envisioned, nor does she like the music I like, has a filthy mouth, bad grades, is kind of lazy, and I don't like her hair. All of that can change as she matures, but the impression I leave on her will not. The important thing is that I love and respect her, and let the behaviour sort itself out. Did I mention she reminds me of myself?

To the "Bottom of the list Girl"
1. Remember that jerks are Jerks, no matter what
2. Get a copy of that list...if anyone on that list is management in ANY fashion, go straight to a good lawyer. That is totally illegal to make a "who is hot" list...totally discrimanatory, totally illegal. You deserve to make a statement with this. These people hurt you, they should not be allowed to just get away with it.

I grew up fat, if not obese. I put up with hurt every day. As an adult I do not tolerate anyone abusing anyone in my workplace, EVER!

I could go on with this topic forever, but I will now return you to your original program...
Luke
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 21:10
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've had a lot of hardships in my life and I've had to grow up pretty fast. So don't mind me when I say that all the people I work with are just a bunch of stupid kids. I know that's what they are, so I'm not going to take it seriously. They didn't mean to hurt me. And in all, I expected it. In fact, I get along with pretty much every person on staff. But it did serve as good motivation. I know they were being honest in their own opinions. And I can handle that. But the best part about it was that it didn't hurt me SO much because I knew that things were going to change. I KNEW I was losing weight. I know that 6 months to a year from now, I'm going to be pretty damn hot. That's what keeps me going.

On the legal point that you made, the manager that would've taken part in that wasn't working that day. From what I hear, he's getting fired soon anyway, so I don't really care. And it's not like he has room to talk. He orders Chinese food from a restaurant up the street about 3-4 times a day just while he's at work. And he eats... A LOT. (Side note: The Chinese people at the restaurant refer to him as "Nick the big fat man.") So it's not like I'd even listen to a word he'd say or has said. At least I'm doing something about my weight problem.

I'm a very optimistic person. hehe
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:51

BF:

Wowee, Missa. what they did was harsh. Those buttheads need to take a good hard look at themselves, because beauty really does come from within (really!!) You can take a perfect person, and take one taste of a stoopid, pig headed, one sided, closed minded, jerk-off attitude, and not like it.
Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder!
ANd thanks alot, the luke.. that really means alot to me. I wish my parents were as open-minded as you are. My parents just dont understand that I need my space. I need growing room, for my opinions and ideals. And I need the love and support they should give me so I can be to my fulll potential! And, my parents just arent willing to give it to me.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:01

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

You know what, no matter what people are always assholes.. Regardless of your efforts, there will always be someone to tell you youre doing it wrong.. and well.. screw them. It really sucks that parents, who are supposed to help and guide you, end up kicking you down.. and people wonder why todays kids are so depressed and overweight..

Between growing up with classmates who make fun of you and parents who dont support you.. who can you turn to?? (aside from the forums of course..) Sigh..

anyways, I hate sounding all cheery and uppity, but I say keep on doing what youre doing.. prove it to your mom that you can do it, despite her harsh words.. nod..

Last edited by Sterlina : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 12:03.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:30

BF:

Yup! Im gonna keep on keepin' on! I show 'em when they have to buy me new clothes!! ha! Just right now.. i can't imagine being any smaller than I am.. Ive been this size or larger for a long time. Aaaah, well. What an expirement this has been! (Thanks for all the nice words :-) )
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

Absolutely. This is for YOU, not anybody else. My father's two sisters are both obese, and he saw how they got treated in school. He never wanted me to be like that, so when I started gaining weight... he hung over my shoulder and glared at me when I put butter on my toast, and on a few memorable occasions, dragged me off into another room at family gatherings and neighborhood parties to lecture me on getting fat. OF COURSE I started sneaking food off to my room, eating way too much and none of it healthy. I've been overweight ever since. I finally just got fed up at the end of my first year of college. I took a look at myself and realized I felt awful, I looked awful, and I needed to DO something about it. Thank God for Atkins. It's been over a year on this WOE, and I feel great, I look much better, and I'm on my way to a bikini. You can do it! Just think about how much stronger and healthier and leaner you'll be. Think about living in a body that's your friend instead of your enemy. And imagine giant ice-cream sundaes falling on the heads of all your detractors
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:05

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

I am 46 yrs old... and am both a daughter and the mother to one.

It's an interesting place to take a look at the mother/daughter relationship - and all the power it contains.

I'm a relatively strong woman, as are my friends. And even so, our mother's can still get to us in a way that is unique. I can see that despite my best efforts to respect, honour and support my own daughter, I can also have that effect on her. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. Sometimes we the mothers are not who we wish to be to our daughters, sometiems we the daughters read criticism where there is none because what we want is a certain kind of mother-love-support in a certain way at a certain moment.

What matters most is that we love as much as we can, understand each other as well as we can and ultimately find our own way despite the cues and feedback we get - because good or bad, it still comes from a flawed person living a different life.

Brava for finding your own path. Stay the course.