Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 10:18

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

I have joined a Ladies Workout Express. I have never been to a Curves, but this facility compares itself to Curves. I have been going 3-5 times a week for the past two weeks. (I actually joined a month ago but didn't seriously commit at that time). I have not had a regular exercise regime for over 8 years, so I did not want to join a gym that was going to intimidate me, and cause me not to continue. In addition to the circuit training, we have treadmills and some other cardio machines (looks like a stair climer thingy), crunch stations, light weights, yoga balls and hoola hoops. I do the circuit,and have began doing some light weight exercises to help tone my arms, and have also added crunches. I feel comfortable with my progress. I am taking things at my own pace, so I feel in control and the most important thing is that because I feel like I am progessing, I am consistent with including the exercise to my schedule. Whatever works to get us all moving and healthy!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 10:42

Plan: South Beach (restart)
Stats: 330/267.5/190 Female 65"
BF:47.5%
Progress: 45%

Curves, perfect start to fitness for me. So fat that I could not, would not, set foot in Bally's or Gold's Gym.

Ive got 62 visits in and I really have to work at getting the heart rate up, but if I push - I can get it. I am now looking to supplement my 3x weekly circuits with swimming or jogging, but I will enthusiastically finish my year commitment.

After that, I'll probably look for a more 'serious' gym.

I think Gary Heavin has done something remarkable for the older, fatter, sluggier women and for that, I'm grateful. I can walk without wheezing, have upper body strength I didn't have before, have lost 28 lbs and and nearly 6 inches.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 10:50

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

Just curious, does Curves offer additional services in conjunction with the circuit?
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 11:11

I joined (for a fee) a 6 week weight loss challenge, and it was a half hour motiviational and educational meeting each week for the 6 weeks. It worked and I lost 18 lbs.

I've heard that I can join any additional challenges at no charge, but they haven't had any that I know of.

They sell nutritional supplements and a protein shake mix.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 18:58

Plan: curves
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 5'1.5
BF:39.4/34.8/30.00

i actually just spent 8 hours in a workshop today for curves. i am a curves employee, and was a member for 3 years. (for those of you who did not read my previous thread)

in september, there is going to be a weight loss class open to everyone...even none members. it will cost 69 $ dollars, that includes a protien shake, vitamins, the 6-7 classes, and i believe a bag, and shirt. watch for the commercial on tv.

i believe the way the curves i work for is going to handle it is this- if you decide to come in and do the class, and then decide to join the fitness part of curves, it will be about 15 dollars cheaper for you to join, than if you just walked in off the street w/o paying for the class.

also, you can get two weeks free if you bring in two milk bottle caps..thats all you have to do! you can bring in your milk caps until the end of june.

also, we are doing 2 for 1, or half off the joining fee, until july 10th. in the state i live in, that would make the joining fee 34 dollars, but that is w/ a 12 month signing agreement for 29 dollars a month through a check draft or credit card.

also, some insurance companies, and employees are teaming up. and starting soon, if you work out at curves 8 times a month for 3 months, you can get 60 dollars rebated-straight to your account. but you do have to sign up for the year.

also, there will be a special, starting soon, where if you join a curves you will get the rest of the summer free. that promotion will not be starting until later though.

also, ask about the free member's guide. there will be anew issue coming out in september, and the new weight loss classes will start nationally on september 6th!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:04

Thanks for that helpful and useful info!!!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 07:27

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

Two months into Curves and I see a big difference!!! I really enjoy the workouts, but I haven't been that active up until now. My energy level has gone UP!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 06:21

Oh yeah! I do know what you are talking about!!
I amaze myself at what I can do, like walk - jog and spend almost no time depressed anymore!!!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 22:04
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I switched from curves to a gym.

I liked curves for the 1st 6 months but the hours were to limited. My new gym has all the same type of equipment, just not in a circle. My new gym is open 7 days a week for 16 hour days, yep 5 am to 9:30 pm, they only close at 8 pm on Sundays.

I just got started. Im doing water aerobic too!!! My gym has a lap pool. A steam room, sauna's, hot tubs YEA!!!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 06:25

In November my first year will be up. I'm signing on for a 2nd year. I'm supplementing my Curves workouts with swimming and daily walks. I visited the local LA Fitness. Curves suits me much better.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 19:58

Plan: curves
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 5'1.5
BF:39.4/34.8/30.00

the curves weight loss plan will begin september 12th nation wide! and you dont have to be a member of curves to participate!!! look for the commercials on tv!!! i am so excited. there will even be a vegitarian diet!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 10:31

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Its my understanding that the basis of hydraulics is that the quicker you work the machine, ie more and quicker reps.. the more resitance the hydraulics give you.

Its been my experience at Great Shapes (similar to Curves ) that this is true. I'd also agree that not many serious lifters would go "down" from the gym to Curves.. too "sissified" for most of them. Luckily my gym has both of them in one place )

Either way, any exercise at all is good, no matter what form it takes or what motivates you to get your ass off the couch and in motion.

Be well, be happy !

Phyllis
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 22:01
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Yep. All exercise is good.
I would have stuck with curves though if they stayed open later and on Sundays. But, now I'm doing good with my new gym, especially the lap swimming and H20 aerobics.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 00:06

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I saw on page 1 that Jeanyyy piped in for me but I'll put something in, anyway...

I tried Curves for a few months (left my usual gym) and I thought it wasn't challenging enough. Yes, I gave it my all and I didn't feel it like I did at the gym I left. I've now joined another gym (my other one closed) and it has everything that others pointed out is better about Curves (has a hydrolic section and a 30-minute workout) but it also has steppers, stationary bikes with flatscreen TV's , classes, traditional weights, etc. It also has free individual routines set up by certified trainers that you can have adjusted every 4 weeks to suit your goals AND it's ladies only! I think I'll be happier there as it has the things I wanted from the old gym and has the good things about Curves. The only thing is that, yes, I know I'll feel a little intimidated working out around a bunch of hardbodies, but there are people like me going there as well. I have to block out the others and just do my thing and ignore anybody around me.

If Curves works for you that's AWESOME! I would never, ever knock anybody working out as long as they're safe and enjoying it and going! My Mom joined and absolutely loved it and it really did wonders for her arthritis and sciatica. So, whatever you do it's if you do it that matters and it's better than sitting on your couch, right?
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 14:48

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I've been doing Curves since March, and I'll agree with some of the other posts here.

Curves is the place for you if:
You're on a tight schedule
You are completely out of shape
You want to work in a little more activity but don't have huge fitness goals.
A woman only environment is important to you

I was beyond out of shape when I started, I've been going pretty faithfully 4X per week until recently.
Personally, I felt like I'd maxed out my Curves workout. I push the machines as hard as I can without yanking, and I'm now running in place on the recovery stations.

So I've joined another gym, and I won't reup another year when my current commitment runs out. Currently I'm 2 days at Curves, 2 days at the new gym, and thats working really well. Come March, I know I'll be ready for the next level at the gym.