Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 19:45

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna
I'm up to about 50 grams of carbs a day now and still hair free so my body is definately healing!

I have been wondering about this: if I will ever be able to increase my carbs from 25 and not have a total relapse. Great to hear that healing is possible.

Quote:
The hair regrowth on my head is at least 6 inches long so I'm almost out of the fuzzy head stage! Thank-you Dr. Atkins!

Leanna

Wow, congrats! I'm so excited that I may actually be PCOS-free someday. At some level (before LC) I think I had accepted that I was going to be cursed this way for life, along with all of those nasty symptoms. Thanks for sharing your success!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 198/192.4/180 Female 66 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 31%

Ok, I just HAVE to share this with y'all. I was reading this thread a few days ago, and could really relate. I've got hair everywhere a woman doesn't want hair! Yikes. Anyway, I read one response from a woman who was talking about having hair on her chest, and having to check herself in the mirror constantly. I was thinking "Gee, I think that's the one single place where I don't have excess hair". That night I had a dream - I not only had hair on my chest, I had a pelt! I'm talking werewolf-type pelt. It started just below my neck and stopped at my waist - too funny. In my dream I was thinking, "Oh, great. How the heck do I get rid of THIS?" Wax on, my sisters!
Franny
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 10:31

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

I was unofficially diagnosised PCOS about 2 yrs ago. The college campus doctor said I had all the symptoms but she couldn't test at the schools clinic to be for sure. I went to her because I had skin tags and had missing periods for 6 months at a time for 2 yrs-(it's was nearly 4 yrs before LCing). I wasn't able to have another child which has caused alot of problems with my only child who feels she's the only one on earth without a sibling.

Now that I have been LCing almost 4 months, my skin tags have lightened and nearly gone away, the hair on my face has slowed and the hair around the areola of my nipple has become light and slowed.

My moods...I used to be so upset over the littliest thing and now its normal. I'm also losing weight and losing that horrible PCOS gut, though slowly. But, I feel better about myself and I am hoping that oneday I can have another child and complete the family I always wanted.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Hiya

Well i've now got a real cycle back!!! i'm soooo happy i've not felt this good and this happy for such a long time. I've only had 2 in a row but that's better then i've had since i was 16 lol i'm not sure if i've actually started ovulating or if it's just periods i will find out soon from the doctor.
Maybe someday i will have that child that i thought i would never have but i try not to think of that bit too much at the moment. But i'm also happy with the weight loss i feel great!!! And i've started to learn to drive as i feel so confident about everything at the moment.
I can not believe the change that Atkins has had on my life the hair loss has slowed, the 1 skin tag that i had has gone,skin is better, hair's looking loads better which was always greasy and thin before. I'm not finding it hard work i don't even think of things such as chocolate which i loved before.
Thanks for all your help and support!! And i just love reading the other sucess stories.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:00
Registered Member

Stats: 263.5/270/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: -6%

Violet, I too have the hair growth problem.

My physician said that sometimes hirsutism can only be controlled through hormones or permanent removal such as laser. I am hoping and praying that he is wrong!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-10, 20:10

Stats: 180/154/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 74%

After years of these and other symptoms (rolling chills, night sweats, night-time thirst) my doctors still haven't even offered to run a test for PCOS (checked thyroid: negative, checked for diabetes: negative) Anyway, I know I've just felt better on low carb and I'm headed back for this. Not to mention that my husband and personal trainer embrace a low carb lifestyle, though theirs is called Paleolithic Diet.

I'm anxious to see how my symptoms react to this diet this time around.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 10:32

Plan: Just Induction
Stats: 270/208/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

Excesss androgens is what causes the thinning hair on our heads but unwanted hair on the acceptable manly areas...

I was diagnosed with PCOS Feb 2006...
Just went to the doctors. No more pcos. Not only have I lost the masculine hair, but even the natural peach fuzz hair I had is gone to. I am still loosing the hair on my head and this time around on my eyebrows, lashes, legs etc but it is due to an auto immune disorder I have... and having a flare up.

So yes, PCOS although doctors say is not curable...is controlable, to the point your fsh and other hormones will reallign and ovaries will be less cystic. Also I have been taking black cohosh to help with the estrogen part.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-11, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 285/259/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm loosing weight super slowly, but I'm keeping up hoping that the hair growth will stop, or at least slow. *sigh I wish these doctors would isolate what makes some people bald on top, and put it on my face. I'd be happy to give the balding whatever it i that makes my man hair grow with vengeance.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 07:32

Plan: Just Induction
Stats: 270/208/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

Since I posted last, I have been to the doctor 3 more times for other issues. My ovaries are no longer cystic, although I have other issues. I no longer have facial hair, on the contrary I have to use a cream to grow my eyebrows back! I am loosing all of my hair and now have alopecia. I have a medicated shampoo, a foam, a liquid, and others, that I have to use to reduce inflamation and redness and itchyness. ... If its not one thing its another.
Obviously, controlling the weight helps, but another way to help with the weight loss is exercise. I do zumba and dance central and kinect sports and kinect adventures with my kids, and also go to the gym for some killer cardio conditioning. I am not loosing the weight as fast as I once was, but I am still loosing it.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 03:57

Stats: 125/125/125 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:

To everyone here who thought they'd never have a baby to to PCOS - and I was one - I low carbed and had an oops baby (best surprise ever!!) but I was so SURE I couldn't I didn't know I was pregnant for ages. SO - everyone was like, how could u not know...but y'know wth PCOS I had a bg belly and absent menses were nothing out of the ordinary....anyway long story short....you can & probably will.

But yeah, I'm going strict on low carb again to help stabise mood swngs and belly hair etc
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 20:44
Registered Member

Stats: 270/263/170 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Oh My Goodness! This thread needs to be a must read for people suffering with PCOS... it makes me feel so much better and not alone! Yes, I've experienced the relief of symptoms the last two times I did atkins, didn't realize the impact the difference had on me. This low carb is going to have to be permanent! YES! for buttered steak!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 07:10
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

One of the most important things for women with PCOS is to limit carbs and to have optimum vitamin D levels.

Have you had your vitamin D3 level tested? Vitamin D is a master hormone that directs other hormones. Having optimum vitamin D levels will equalize other hormone levels and reverse PCOS.

Women who had PCOS and weren't able to conceive were able to conceive once their vitamin D levels were optimize.

Women who have PCOS are able to have regular periods when supplementing with pharmacological levels of vitamin D3.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 14:47

Stats: 320/291/175 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Wow, I can empathise with each of you. I have been insulin resistant since childhood. I remember at only seven years old, my mother commenting how I had such a gut and carried my weight like a man. When I hit puberty, I began growing hair in all the wrong places (and still do, at age 34). I have never been less than obese, ever, ever. I was formally diagnosed with PCOS in 2005 after the birth of my first child.

I have been LC for the last three weeks - thus far, if I keep my fats much higher than my protein, the hair growth slows dramatically.

I also keep spearmint tea in the fridge and drink two big glasses of it instead of water throughout the morning. I began the spearmint tea before I began LC, and it does make a good difference by helping to bring down levels of free testosterone.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 15:47

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Grimlkin wrote-I just want to add, I've been using natural progesterone cream in addition to low carbing and it has worked well for me. You should check with your doctor first, but it can be used to suppress ovulation so that your ovaries have a chance to heal up the little cysts while your hormones get balanced. After years of anovulation I was in dire need of the stuff anyway, and it may have accelerated the healing a bit for me.

Just had my hormone checked Monday and waiting for the results. Suspect low progesterone. I should bc I was during last 2 prenancies, which contributed to years of infertility. I had to take progestin the first 14 weeks of both pregnancies to maintain them. Now, looking at it as the cause of hypothyroid type symptoms such as head hair loss, no libido, slow weight loss, sleep disturbances, and many, many others small annoying things. I hope progesterone cream is the answer and I had thought of this earlier, like 1 1/2 years ago.

Donna

Last edited by donnahill8 : Wed, Feb-01-12 at 15:56.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 10:48

Plan: low carb high protein
Stats: 370/370/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress:

This is all really reassuring. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 I am now 25. I never thought I would have children and we were blessed with a daughter 3 years ago. At 25 I have hair growth on my chin, upper lip, chest, stomach, back. I hate it. I also have noticed thinning hair in my crown. My husband today rubbed by head and asked if I was going bald. This was the last straw for me. I need to lose weight not only for me but for my family. Other issues I have are dry skin on my feet, elbows, neck and corners of mouth, skin tags and the thick velvet skin around my neck. My appearance has dropped since gaining weight after having my child. I am really happy to see that there is a chance these things will improve. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories. I am starting my low carb today.