Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:04

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 205/205/130
BF:42%/42%/13%
Progress: 0%

so what I'm consistently reading is, induction and endurance exercise don't work well. Well, again, my runs are pretty short and slow right no, so it seems to be working for me. I'm not looking for a quick fix that I can abandon and go back to wanton twinkie eating once I reach goal. But I do have to lose some weight quickly because it is really affecting my run. The last poster mentioned the weight affecting him/her as well, and it looks to me like he/she only is 16 pounds from goal.
Well, I guess I'll stay on induction for now and then move to OWL when the time is right. I can see how induciton wouldn't work for you other people who are doing speedwork and hills. Induction works well for this slow plodding that I'm doing, currently, I probably won't add speedwork for another 7.5 weeks, and by then I'll have moved out of induction into OWL. Sincerely, Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 01:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/178/170
BF:NA
Progress: 68%

Lisaa

I think you are on track. Keep what you are doing and add some carbs for those tough runs when need be but once you get to your ideal weight then you can maintain it with strong exercise and add the complex carbs u require if you decide to become super active runner. But as long as you are moving and eating right (dont touch twinkies whethere you exercise or not) then you wont have any issues. Complex carbs arent going to make you fat when you are burning them. Pro cyclists live on complex carbs and cant add a gram of fat on their body during the season. It is their fuel. but not refined sugar and simple carbs. Chinese and Vietnamese eat good ole carb rich rice three times a day and are still lean as chickens because they walk and cycle daily and dont sit on a couch watching TV or in traffic for two hrs on the way to work. It is all about keeping active and dropping the processed junk food. Seems so elementary, hard to believe people can get so rich off telling us this common sense stuff.

Well you are getting there! soon you will be in NYC marathon and we want photos of you crossing that finish line with your arms up high!
alex
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Well the results are in and the added carbs help. my heartrate avg and spd avg were both up and my ride was 2 minutes quicker with alot less muscle complaint during the ride. Obviously for me the 20g a day was not enough. 35g seems to really make a difference.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 02:09

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I have said this before but this has worked for me. I have added grapfruit ( mainly juice) to my diet. I get more carbs but still have lost weight.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

My 24 hour run was a bust. I only lasted 30 miles. Worse than that, it took 10.5 hours to run that far. The course was a monstrous hill, one mile up and one mile down around 9000ft. I wasn't recovered enough from the 52 mile race six days before.

From the start I had a throbbing sensation in my chest. I get that if I've missed a couple meals and my blood sugar is low. I guess I didn't have much of any glycogen on board.

So I have a question. How to you guys recover from a hard race? Time off, or extra food or what?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:21

BF:

I start with a few beers...

I always take a few days off. I try to stretch and eat as much as possible after the race, worrying more about getting food in me and not too much about what I eat. this however is for marathons and not ultras and not six days apart. That was a pretty big goal to attempt.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:30

Stats: 202/182/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

I havent had a chance to check out my performance with the cycling, however i have found LC'ing certainly hasnt hurt my distance running. In fact i believe it has improved it a little.
Speed and sprint work on the other hand. Forget about it. The ready energy seems to be depleted way too quickly and replaced far too slowly for this kind of exercise.
One strange observation is that i used to be capable of swimming about 2km in a pool. Now i kid you not, i hit the wall after about 250m. I find this strange because i assumed swimming would require approximately the same energy levels as the running. But who knows there could be some complicated factor involving less energy being stored locally in the arm......or perhaps arms simply being less efficient in the use of available energy.

I dont supplement my training with any additional carbs, as i am still angling for the weight loss. I am still keeping my carb intake to a 15g max at the moment. However i can see supplementation may be necessary in the future, particularly if i want to be anything more than a position holder in any team sport i play.

Cheers
Jason
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:42
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Jason,

IMHO...WAY TOO FEW CARBS!!! Even a "sit on your bum" induction shouldn't go below 20. I stayed on induction for nearly 4 months but the last month wasn't as fun because I was starting to pound out the miles on the bike. I've raised my carbs up to 35 but expect as I slowly increase them that I will be closer to 50/day with supplimentation on hard days.

On top of that, as soon as I started to ADD carbs, my 3 week stall ended. HMMMM? LOL
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:26

Stats: 202/182/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Don,
Yeah....i realised the carbs may be a bit low, especially given the exercise i am doing. However i started atkins assuming i had a high metabolic resistance, as i was doing some SERIOUS 2 hour workouts mixing weights and cadio, minimum 5 days a week and simply couldnt shift those damn love handles.
Having seen some good results in my first 2 weeks on only 15g or less i am just starting my second 2 weeks after which i do plan to up the carbs. I realise that given my workout regime 15g really is way to low. Seems ok for running....but significantly inhibits anything else.
Oh yeah.....very interesting on the way you started losing again after adding the carbs. When i hit a stall i will definitely try that one. Maybe something to do with not allowing you body to adapt to any single regime of calorie intake....keep it guessing so it cant get into the groove so to speak.

Cheers
Jason

Last edited by praxis3 : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 21:29.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:41

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Kaypeeoh,
I agree with you! Six days is not enough recovery time to attempt a 24 hour event. Last year I ran a 100 in late May and entered a 50K two weeks later. That was the hardest 50K I ever ran!
After a 24 hour event or 100 miler I recover for at least two weeks with active recovery. Short walks on the flats, light swimming, etc. I also use massage/acupuncture. After two weeks I begin again as a total newcomer to ultra-running. 25 miles a week, then 30, then 35, etc. Some runners can recover very quickly but I believe that I need more time.
I'm running a 50K on Saturday near Yosemite and I'll let you know how I do. I will be adding more carbs (steel cut oats) starting Thursday. I dropped at mile 34 in my last 50 and I think I needed more fuel. I had that tired, lead leg, type feeling.
Bye,
Maureen
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:06
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Maur:

Thanks for the note. I followed a strict low-carb diet leading up to the 52 mile race. I did so well and had so little post-run soreness that I didn't make any changes for the 24hr run six days later. I didn't add any carbs to the diet. The consensus seems to be that more carbs are needed for training. Good luck at Yosemite. My soreness is gone. I'll be running today and I'll be doing the Park City Marathon on 6-14 as a training run.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:30

BF:

I found that training for a marathon and eating very low carb was extremely difficult. Each run was a challenge with dead legs. I could not get into a good rhythm and disliked training. MY runs also slowed down as I could not keep up my leg speed. As I went up to around a100 grams per day, it improved dramatically and weight loss continued.