Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 01:27

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

What a great post Paleoanth, I thank you for sharing

I wonder if you are familiar with Kathleen DesMaisons 'Potatoes not Prozac' program? She came to her sugar sensitivity findings though working with alcoholic's

http://www.radiantrecovery.com

Im going to make myself one of those boxs (step 6) its something Id like to give a go
Step 5 is what really helps me, if I eat protein at regualar intervals the other steps are not so nessessary.

Thanks again and congrats on the 14 1/2 yrs
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 05:31
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

That is really interesting, Bloom-thanks! I am deffo going to check it out.

I really think going through one recovery program and giving up meat as a vegetarian has helped me with giving up the bad carbs.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:53

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Like Tsipi, can't let this one go by...

As a drug addict (27 years) and certified extremist (read: addictive behavioral qualities manifest in every aspect of my life), I apply the same principles of AA. The "think it through to it's conclusion" process can be very effective. However, there may be times when rationalization creeps into this type of approach providing that deadly "I can get away with this. No one will ever know" mentality. Obsession has a way of "coloring our perceptions" and perspective. Sometimes what is needed is an escape from thinking. This is when and where the phrase "move a muscle, change a thought" comes into play. Redirecting our thoughts can be useful in managing many areas or times in our lives when truth becomes suspect, or at least blurred. Thus the sayings "count to ten", "take a deep breath", "walk around the block" etc.

Self-deception was a key component in the journey that necessitated our seeking this WOL. Addiction, in any form, relies, indeed thrives, on our propensity for justifying the unjustifiable. The role of self-deception, and it's tragic aftermath, in our lives warrants, actually demands, an ever-vigilant lookout for this devil. Satan is not known as "the great deceiver" for nothing.

Oops sorry, bottom line, sometimes it's better not to think. Sometimes it's better to refocus your attention.

Jones
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hey there Paleo...thanks so much for starting this thread...

I sure need those reminders on a daily basis. My comfort-eating and bingeing is a long-term problem that I struggle with 24/7.

For the past 6 years I've kept off a good deal of my lost weight, which makes me feel that I can 'loosen" up a bit here and there...but the cycle starts all over with that mindset.

Lots of good ideas here...thanks for sharing.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 22:25

Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks

I needed this post today. I am finally acknowledging to myself that I am addicted to carbs. I went on a carb binge this weekend that continued through today.

I thought since I ahd controlled my carb cravings for several weeks, that I could have just one piece of pizza. Well, then I decided it didn't taste so good without soda, so I had one glass. the two. Then another piece of pizza 'cause I still had soda.

And now, 5 days later, I am crawling out from a carb-induced haze and realizing what I have done. And I am ashamed.

I came back to the forum seeking support and encouragement. And your thread is just what I need.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are an inspiration in so many ways.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 03:41
Slothy Superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by Jones

Self-deception was a key component in the journey that necessitated our seeking this WOL. Addiction, in any form, relies, indeed thrives, on our propensity for justifying the unjustifiable. The role of self-deception, and it's tragic aftermath, in our lives warrants, actually demands, an ever-vigilant lookout for this devil. Satan is not known as "the great deceiver" for nothing.

Oops sorry, bottom line, sometimes it's better not to think. Sometimes it's better to refocus your attention.

Jones

I agree Jones. Self deception is something I always have to look out for. I was in denial about my weight problem for a long time. I always thought I looked better than I did. AA and other 12 step programs force you to deal with reality and to take personal responsibility.

The "think it through" technique is certainly not the only thing I use and that is why I listed several little "tricks" that have been successful for me depending on the situation. One thing I didn't list but dovetails nicely with your suggestion to refocus your attention is helping others. If you can help someone else with their carb problem, you can get out of your own head.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 04:30

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally posted by Paleoanth
The "think it through" technique is certainly not the only thing I use and that is why I listed several little "tricks" that have been successful for me depending on the situation. One thing I didn't list but dovetails nicely with your suggestion to refocus your attention is helping others. If you can help someone else with their carb problem, you can get out of your own head.

Oh Paleoanth, "helping others" is a cornerstone to one's own recovery and the absolute best means of "refocusing". Thank you so much for, in effect, finishing my incomplete thought. You have done a real service with this thread, for me, as much as anyone. I am most grateful. I needed to be reminded of these precepts as an addict in all it's forms.

Thank you,

Jones

Last edited by Jones : Thu, May-15-03 at 04:34.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

I've been able to do this diet with no slip ups so far.....so I think i'll try and use your info to quit drinking myself.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:49
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Good luck!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 06:30
Hanging in there

Stats: //130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

wow, thank you so much for those powerful words...God Bless!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 08:01

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Wow, this was just the thread I needed today.

Thank you, Paleo! Paris
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 08:07
Slothy Superhero

Holy camole! I totally forgot I even wrote this.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 01:09
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Great thread....I did remember it.....

Corrupting the young <----- I love this!

Hugs

Alina
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:03

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

I sure needed to hear what you had to say ! I'm an alcoholic also, been in a program for 4 years. I've tried applying some of the things I've learned to my addiction to carbs. You've given me a guide now.............thank you !
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 08:35
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoanth
Holy camole! I totally forgot I even wrote this.

That's because you're an evil genius.

Thank you.