Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 05:25

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Well, if you ever give it another try...

Leave off of the bacon and sausage for the first two weeks and see what happens. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$. These particular foods will hold me up.

And my borderline high blood pressure has gone down since I've been on this. But, hey, maybe I'm just allergic to potatoes, carrots and other starchy vegetables. (They make me break out in pounds!)
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 05:46
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%
Smile

My My My, I must say I am surprised all you good people are even bothering to respond to ieatmeat anymore. I have come to the conclusion that he is just here for the drama. Personally, I come to the boards for support and to support others, not to have to defend my choice in eating. There is enough of that out there in the real world to deal with. (OK, turefully no one in the real world has ever given my grief about Atkins. Lots of compliments though.)

Do you care if he really care if he agrees with your style of living? YOU will never prove him wrong in his mind. And I think Lisa N along with a lot of others have done a great job of making theie point! He just want to argue and be right, that is why he is still here trolling the boards. Nothing better to do. NOW to keep the "fight" going, (and it is an interesting one) he will bring creationism verse evolutionism into it. There is a fight that could go on for ever!

I am very happy with my choice, I lost 22 pound and going in over 2 and a half months! He can be right all he wants in his own mind. I really could care less. Best to let him go his own way. I am happy just going my own way, living my life to the way I choose.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:23

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking A cult for some!

It is like many other things - some people will turn it into a cult. I certainly did not. I heard bad things about Atkins and stayed away from it - was skeptical. Then I read the book just for curiosity to see what he had to say. I had heard the lower carb message from the Zone and it seemed to make sense that carbs were my problem - realistically looking at what I ate and drank. So cold turkey started Atkins and lost 18 lbs in the first month. By the way for IEATMEAT I did textbook induction with 3 cups of lettuce a day - so you did not read the same book as me - you don't eat just meat. Well 37 lbs lost in 3.5 months - so what can I say but it worked for me. I did not even take more supplements than a vitamin pill. Atkins says in the book that you should not stuff yourself - you should try to get a new copy. I think you got a bogus copy of the book or you just don't understand what the book says. No need to involve talk of cultism.

By the way, Pagans may not relate to crystal balls. Crystal balls are more for fortune tellers and the Occult.

Good luck trying to figure out what works for you!
  #49   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:42

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

John Travolta's role in 'Michael' was a pretty chubby angel (and was pretty much described as such in the movie!). I know that part of the thread is long past, but I just wanted to mention that! Not that it has anything to do with Atkins...
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

LMBO!!!! Brainwashed??? Who cares???? I've lost 27 lbs and still going strong. I don't care if I'm brainwashed or quite frankly how it works. I just know it works

Most of the people reading this thread are probably shaking their heads and saying to themselves "oh this poor schmuck...he just doesn't get it and will have to struggle with his weight and what he eats for the rest of his life".

Eggos??? Bleck!!! I just had bacon and eggs and a few days ago, I ate lobster dipped in butter. I wouldn't trade that for a cardboard tasting eggo if you paid me...lol.

L

Last edited by whyspers : Tue, May-06-03 at 07:55.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 08:16

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

ieatmeat,

I am sorry that Atkins’ diet did not help you. I do know of others who had the same experience – the same diet does not work for everyone, that’s why there are so many to choose from. The ‘everything in moderation’ approach may work well for you, but the breakfast you described is neither moderate nor healthy by any standards. I cannot imagine any qualified nutritionist telling someone that loading up on processed, refined foods is healthy.

Nutritionists are afraid to tell the American public the truth because they know that no one wants to hear that they should not eat the junk. So, they tell them that it’s alright for everyone, even diabetics, to eat some cake, cookies, chips, etc. as long as it’s ‘in moderation’. However, if the person is trying to either lose or maintain their weight by watching calories, even small amounts of that junk piles on the extra calories, and they are ‘empty’ calories, at that. How can a person on a 1,200 calorie diet eat the proper balance of nutrients if 400 of those calories are ‘empty’ calories from cake, cookies, candy or chips with no nutrition? They can’t do it. So, then you are back to ‘taking fist-fulls of supplements’ to balance the nutrition, or go over your calorie count for the day to meet your nutritional needs. Enough times of that in a week, and you are not losing weight or even gaining it.

The truth is that ‘everything in moderation’ should mean everything HEALTHY in moderation – no junk food. If you are going to count calories and still meet your nutritional needs, a person must stick with real foods such as whole grains, veggies, fruits, and lean meats. There is no caloric room for french fries, chips, nachos, beer, cookies, cakes and candy.

Good luck to you, I hope you find a healthy way to obtain your goals.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 10:01

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Always one

Haven't you noticed when you talk on different sites, that there is always one person comes along to try to poison the pot? If there unhappy with their life or what ever, and dont like the diet, fine...bye see ya. Generally they come back if you answer them....cause they are bored!!!!! Go eat some carbs
  #53   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:28

Plan: induction
Stats: 240/243/175
BF:
Progress: -5%

I guess I've known for a long time that one can never win an argument in religion. Atkins has a religious following and once people are convinced by his book, they will never listen to any other reason. The guy was a genius!

I tried the induction for a week. I felt horrible. Everyone here was telling me to "stick it out". What if by "sticking it out" I got kidney stones and a slew of other illnesses that this type of diet can offer? Yes, I know, Atkins says you'll never get ill, but that's not what other data outside of his book shows.

I can understand dieting like this and feeling good. That's why I started it myself. But dieting and feeling bad?

All of you guys are losing weight right now. That's great! You, however, have all also become nutritional experts after reading a book. You haven't really done research on this nor can you. To do adequate research you need to know a lot of bio chemistry and human physiology, yet everyone is eager to give advice. You close your ears to anyone who says anything you disagree with.

Keeping an open mind does not necessarily mean agreeing with non-traditional methods. Keeping an open mind means that you can equally evaluate all methods.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:46

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

I don't disagree with you, Ieatmeat. I feel like Atkins works for me, but I'm not sure if it's because I manage to eat lower calories or what. When I'm eating high/regular carbs, I tend to overeat. I don't see it as any more mysterious than that. I definitely am not overeating now. Haven't lost much, but don't have much to lose. If left to my own devices, I'd probably put on 5 lbs. a year. I did low-carb years ago and lost weight I never put back on, but I must admit, after reading the book and all of the explanations as to why it worked, I was perplexed because I knew I was eating a heck of a lot less than I had before! Dr. Atkins was a fallable human being like all of us, and I think that there is nothing wrong in being critical and analytical, etc. I personally do not believe in silver bullets, and think that anything worthwhile takes WORK.

Today, I've had chicken sausage and a fruit salad for breakfast, and a green salad with pesto chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms and walnuts for lunch. I'll have something like tuna steak tonight with a spinach salad. Some people might gob on the bacon fat and mayo, but not me. How could my particular diet lead to any bad effects? I think lots of people are making adjustments to low-carb. I'm using my own nutritional instinct on this one - good fresh foods that don't leave me wanting to barf. I don't think I need to do research to figure this out! The only thing I'm not having is white food - bread, pasta, rice, sugar. And brown food, I guess = chocolate. And as a little treat once in a while, I have a little bit of something yummy, like an ice cream cone or something. And damned if it doesn't taste better than it does when you eat that stuff all the time!

I also believe that low-carb won't work for everyone, just as low-fat won't. I couldn't stay on low-cal/low-fat because I was always completely ravenous. That's just me, though.

But I do think when people find something that works, they can't help but want to spread the word. And yes, it can seem a bit evangelical, but when I did the Zone, I spread the 'word' (sorry about this gospel pun) very enthusiastically, and it led to a good friend of mine, one who could never stay on a diet, losing 50 lbs. She's still slim! It just so happens that she did it via low-carb, but the amounts she was eating before would have kept the weight on, that's for sure. So whatever works, right!

BTW, I hated induction myself, but once I made it through the tunnel, I felt OK, meaning no better or worse than before. But I'll sure feel good if I can walk down the beach without my tummy jiggling along in front of me!

Last edited by orzabelle : Tue, May-06-03 at 13:48.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Your Misperception

There may be a few people who treat Atkins like a religion, but if you look at the entire forum there are people doing all kinds of variations here. Plus there are scientists, Doctors and many people who bring vast experience of their personal battles with weight loss who post here. My doctor does Atkins so wake up guy! There is a whole section on research - do you read any of the articles? Many of us have read research. The information about kidney stones is completely bogus - you want to reference a scientific article that supports what you said? Keep an open mind? You know I have been lucky to lose weight rapidly and not have a life long battle. There are people here who are much more overweight that have had life long struggles trying to find a program to lose weight. Far more troubles than you and I not to mention being subjected to ridicule. So you are talking to people who have desparate open minds to find a program that works. You don't think anybody here has tried all kinds of traditional methods? Who are you kidding? Just read the posts, which obviously you have not read enough! Low carb dieting goes back at least to the 1800s. I am a scientist by training and my observation is you just keep throwing out your own misperceptions and are frustrated by your own personal failure. Good luck trying to find what works for you!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I tried the induction for a week. I felt horrible. Everyone here was telling me to "stick it out"

Well...actually, you did your own version of induction and many people here told you that it wasn't in line with what Dr. Atkins said (not enough veggies, no nuts or berries on induction, stop skipping meals). I'll also note that you made no mention of drinking enough water (or any for that matter), just Diet Coke with lemon (also not encouraged on Atkins because of the Aspartame) and decaf coffee.
It's hardly fair to go off and do your own thing right from the start and then blame the author of the book you read or an eating plan that you didn't follow correctly for your results and how you felt. At least follow the plan as written for a fair trial (the full two weeks) before going off saying that it didn't work and you felt like crap. If you don't want to do the plan as written and give it a fair trial, at least be honest and call it "operator error" instead of design flaw.

Quote:
You haven't really done research on this nor can you. To do adequate research you need to know a lot of bio chemistry and human physiology

Guess what? We have people here who are doctors, nurses and chemists who have researched and can fully understand the research that has been done. Many of us have read several books on the topic and checked out the referenced studies. We also have a research/media watch forum that is filled with supportive research for low carb if you care to read it.

Quote:
What if by "sticking it out" I got kidney stones and a slew of other illnesses that this type of diet can offer?

I get the feeling from this statement that you haven't done a lot of research on this, either. There are currently no studies that support the ideas that low carb can give you kidney stones or make in ill in any way as much as those who are against low carb would like to have them. If you know of one, please feel free to post it as long as it relates specifically to low carb actually causing (not "might cause" or "could possibly cause") any of the conditions mentioned.

Low carb's not for you? Fine! Nobody can force you to eat any way that you don't want to and you'll never be able to stick with a plan that you believe is bad anyway, but I have to wonder why you would even try a plan that you didn't think was sound and healthy in the first place. As I said before, I wish you success with whatever you decide to try next.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

The loss takes some longer than others depending on what you were doing PRE start, as well as medical status. I have syndrome X took me two weeks and lost 2 pds...as my blood sugar adjusts so does my weight DON"T GIVE UP YET!!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 23:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

Some how I lost my 1st paragraph...YOU HAVE TO DO THE PLAN! Lots o water, and follow the eating plan strict! It seems funny..but I hardly ever feel cravings! My body is in it's "zone"!

It may not work for you...and that is OK!
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:22

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%
Thumbs down

This is hilarious!

Where does it say that fruit is bad for you? I eat fruit...I also eat a TON more calories then i did before

If you do it correctly...it works...correctly being the keyword
  #60   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:06

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Why respond to this person?
Why does he even bother to post? It's like a homophobe going to a gay chatroom or something!
Obviously it didnt work for him, so why shoudl it work for anyone else?? - Jealousy, pure and simple. Well, in your face, I lost 21lbs on Atkins