Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 14:40

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Trans fats = Partially Hydrogenated fats?

OK...
I'm about thoroughly confused on this.
I know we are to completely avoid trans fats - and I'm pretty sure PPLP "equated" trans fats with hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated?) fats.
So I'm looking at peanut butters (I don't eat them yet, but I needed to get some for the kids) and on the front label of one it said "0 Trans Fats!" and in the ingredients list it said "less than 2% of...partially hydrogenated oil"
???

Are the 2 not exactly the same thing?
Or is this a case of the "round down" option...it has .99grams so that rounds down to 0?
Help!
-- Loretta
p.s...I'm not overly paranoid about these things - but I did get one that was a simple ingredient list! :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 14:54
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ipioch, I'm glad you asked about this because I'm constantly vigilant about such things too. And I don't think this is being paranoid...it's about making better choices for your body!

That being said, I only purchase natural nut butters whose ingredients say "Peanuts, salt" and have been known on occasion to maybe consume something with a tiny bit of added oil but NOT "partially hydrogenated". You are right - those words are the kiss of death. So what brand is this you're looking at? I find most name brands on the standard grocery store shelves will have questionable ingredients. Therefore, I no longer consume Jiff or Skippy or the like. One I did find at the grocery store was Arrowhead Mills Valencia Peanut Butter (nice and simply ingredient list). You ultimately have to have the kind that separates because that's what hydrogenation does - gives you a fat that stays solid at room temperature. But the price you pay for that convenience isn't worth it to me.

Anyhow, my trick with separated nut butter is to remove it all from the jar and whip it with a mixer...then put it back in and in the fridge. It actually stays together after that!

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 15:12
Taking MY Turn

BF:

But wait, there's more! I just remembered another brand I've purchased at the grocery store called "Teddie" (it has a teddie bear on the label). The ingredients are "Roasted peanuts, salt" and it's wonderful! www.teddie.com But like I said, I find it right in my local store...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 15:19

BF:

Excellent tip. I have tended to shy away from the separated peanut butters because of the "process" of having to try to stir it up before using it. I'm going to try doing it your way!
I'm still trying to stay away from any nut butters until I'm closer to goal (don't want to quickly up the calories if I don't have to) but have some on hand for when the kids get the idea they want peanutbutter crackers (or if I need an emergency fix!).

Heh...so much for label reading.
I got the Smart Balance one with the following ingredients list:
peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and palm fruit oils), salt, molasses. Standard carb/fiber grammage (is that a word?). I chose that one over the plain "peanuts, salt" because slapped all over the front is "1000mg Omega-3's!!!"
(my kids definitely don't do sardines!)

Well, keep reading the small print, and it has 1300mg of Omega-6's, so there's no real gain! It's a deficit. So much for that.

I am still wondering if I can pass off non-sugar-added peanutbutter to the kids. Maybe if I get the kind I have to stir up and put back in the jar, I can throw in some Splenda...

I'm just still confused as to how a company can slap "NO TRANS FATS" on its front label and in the ingredients list have "partially hydrogenated oil" ???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 15:25
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I agree that too liberal use of nut butters is not a good thing, but I have found it to be wonderful to hold me over as a snack...just 1 TBSP (always measured - so that's a 1/2 "serving") that I lick right off the spoon! Yum! But you're right, it's not for all the time.

Quote:
I am still wondering if I can pass off non-sugar-added peanutbutter to the kids. Maybe if I get the kind I have to stir up and put back in the jar, I can throw in some Splenda...

Honestly, the best way I think to get the right taste is to combine it with jam/jellie or maybe serve it with banana? There is a natural sweetness to the PB but then again, my tastebuds are more sensitive now...so what kids will like is a different story. I think some fruit product is the answer, but let me know what works for you!

Quote:
I'm just still confused as to how a company can slap "NO TRANS FATS" on its front label and in the ingredients list have "partially hydrogenated oil" ???
Now that you got me on. Ugh. That is just so wrong. That's why I don't trust labels. My theory - just like with 'fat free' the FDA must have some kind of allowance where as long as it's under a certain level, it's ok to claim "free"? <grumbling under breath>

Oh and don't get me started about Omega labels!!! LOL
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 15:47

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

It's the rounding thing. If it is less than 1 gram per serving, then they can claim no transfats. Sometimes they will make the serving size really small so that they can get under 1 gram.

Also, it's only when it says "partially hydrogenated" that it's a trans-fat. When it just says "hydrogenated", it's not a trans-fat. It is probably pretty processed either way, though, so it is best to avoid either.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 17:42

BF:

OK...How about "soybean oil"?
I know in PPLP, they say to assume "soybean oil" = "trans fat" since sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.
I eat salad almost every day, and I could live the rest of my life with Ranch dressing. In the main dressing isle, as I"m sure you know, all Ranch dressings are "soybean oil" in one form or another. In the produce section is the "Marie's" brand (refrigerated) that slaps on "0g TRANS FAT!" on the front, but the label says:
soybean oil, nonfat buttermilk (), eggs, egg yolks, etc.
I picked that one up because of the label on the front claiming 0g. Safe? Not safe? Are there any KNOWN good brands of Ranch Dressing? I really don't want to have to make my own. *sigh*
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 19:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

the soybean oil is the reason I stopped buying salad dressing and now only make my own (but I don't have kids so....). I have looked and looked for dressing using another oil but no luck. Its even difficult to find mayo made with canola or some other tolerable oil (Hellmans and Whole foods make them - the WF brand is not very good, but it is expeller pressed oil, Hellman's tastes much better but I'm sure it uses some industrially processed canola oil...sigh). I may resort to making my own mayo in small batches but was hoping to avoid it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 19:05
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Arc - great point about the "partially" part...but you're right, as soon as things start getting processed, I'm fairly leery!

Ipioch - Ok, I have to admit...I buy nitrate free bacon and cage free eggs and natural nut butter, but true to my Hedonist form I do indulge in store-bought salad dressings. So yes, I will go with soybean oil in very small quantities. And to me that's the point...as long as it's a small quantity. I just bought some Marie's and I know it's not the best choice, but like you I'm not really into making my own. Of course I do try to do oil and vinegar when possible...and then add things like crumbled blue cheese, for example. But sometimes you just gotta go there. It's a sliding scale of good choices, I think.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 19:09
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmfrog
I may resort to making my own mayo in small batches but was hoping to avoid it.
Ok, Jen, you're a better person than I! This is where I tend to bend the rules a bit. I get the best quality I can and just make the best of it. Like I mentioned with salad dressing, the only one I "make" is vinaigrette...although come to think of it I've used sour cream and/or cream and crumbled blue cheese before...but for now, I'm allowing some of that soybean oil through! (Please note, I actually measure carefully and use serving sizes, for what it's worth.)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 19:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Ok, Jen, you're a better person than I! This is where I tend to bend the rules a bit.

Better? Or just more obsessive?

Last edited by jkmfrog : Thu, Mar-15-07 at 08:21. Reason: not quite what I meant to say. blame it on the flu!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 07:05

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Soybean oil has a tiny percentage of transfats in it (I believe that it is less than 4%) but the reason to avoid it is because it is a highly processed polyunsaturated oil. They are linked to inflammation in the arteries and other nasties. I try to avoid it as much as possible but do have a little mayo occasionally.

Confession time - I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo because it is considerably lower in the polyunsaturated oil than even canola mayo. I would rather have the little bit of sugar than the polys. The best thing would be to make my own mayo with olive oil or macadamia nut oil, but that ain't happening. For the most part, I don't use much mayo.

For salad dressing, we make our own italian but will buy the Kraft South Beach Italian sometimes as it's made with olive oil.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 07:22

BF:

The mayo I use (I probably use about a teaspoon a day...unless it's hamburger night - then I use over a tablespoon!) is the "365" brand at Whole Foods. I love the taste. It is "Expeller Pressed Canola Oil...etc". Only 1 gram saturated fat...so I guess the rest is mono or poly. I think I'll stick with it.
And I'll stick with the "best I can find" Ranch dressing - and start training myself to use olive oil / vinegar every now-and-then.
Thanks for all your help, y'all! One more "link" to put to rest in my mind.

Now if only I can figure out how to ween the family off the spreadable tub margarine.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/234/187 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I wasn't aware until recently that there are "natural" trans fats in meat and dairy products. Did yo know that CLA is a trans fat? These are not a health risk and may actually be good for you. It's the synthetic trans fats we have to avoid.
But some companies are going to the extreme on trans fat...so they will use something man-made instead of butter since butter has natural trans fats!

According to the peanut institute:

The amount of trans-fat in peanut butter with 2% stabilizer is less than .0032 g, or 156 times less than what is needed to reach the 0 g trans-fat cut-off...... Much of the confusion about trans-fatty acid in peanut butters occurs because of the way peanut butter is labeled. Most peanut butters contain only three or four ingredients. By law, peanut butter must consist of at least 90% peanuts. In addition, a minimum amount of salt and sugar is usually added for taste, plus about 1-2% stabilizer to improve texture and increase shelf-life.

http://www.peanut-institute.org/05-...s-fatty_PR.html

It looks like the thing you need to watch for in peanut butter is added sugar.(There is some natural sugar in peanuts.)

Skippy Natural tastes good, but it has added sugar.
Smart Balance is a little bitter, but has the lowest sugar I've ever seen. I don't care for it by itself, but it's fine when used in a recipe.

I try very hard to avoid synthetic trans fats, but I don't think they're a problem in peanuts.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 10:47

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%

Are you aware that trans fat is created by "whipping" fat in vats?

I believe your process of whipping up the fat in your peanut butter is exactly the same thing. You are creating your own trans fat.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, I just figured if you knew that, you might reconsider doing that.