Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 22:48

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Question To diet your child or not to diet your child?

Recently, I posted because my 7 yr old dd's appetite had increased and I thought she was having a growth spurt...well, yesterday when she got up from the couch I noticed that she looked heavier. I don't know if it's true because she hasn't been back to the doctor, she was 79 lbs-(at 4 ft 5 inches) but I think she's now over that.

I was wondering if I should try to put her on a mostly low carb diet without her really knowing it since I'm lowcarb too, or if I'm just projecting my fears on her??? I mean she's considered overweight but not significantly overweight...I think there needs to be a balance in the way I think about dd's weight.

When did you think that your child was significantly overweight and did you discuss it with your doctor?

My dd takes bipolar medication which could be why she's gaining weight and having an increase in her appetite...I just don't know if it's a serious problem right now or not but seeing her plumping up concerns me...I wasn't too concerned originally because her height seemed to balance her weight but recently she is looking rounder. Help, I need advice...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 22:57
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I don't know the answer to this one but I do know that kids tend to look chubby before they have a growth spurt.

I posted in the TDC about children and carb addiction. It's something that I have thought a lot about and don't know the answer to. Since there is still a lot of discussion in the medical profession about adult LC, I suspect there is very little research about the best approach to take for children. I can't imagine trying to get a child to give up chocolates (torpedo the Easter Bunny) etc etc etc. without creating a more damaging complex in the child. Tough dilemma and one that I know my parents went through with me and I have gone through with DS2.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 319.5/284.5/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Be careful...

Many of us are here because of our weigth and body image. Be careful in trying to assess your children.

I do believe parents should have a firm hand in guiding their children in what they eat and-- more importantly-- how they eat and approach food in their lives. But I know from experience that it can be hard, from my own position, to look at my own children fairly. I trust their pediatrician, in particular, to help me because I get so worried that my children will gain weight that I see a lot of weight that isn't there!

My daughter, who is a diabetic and eats a relatively low-carb diet anyway, is also an advanced multi-sport athlete in great shape. But when I look at her I always see what I worry is the start of her becoming obese. I was seeing this even when she went 20lbs underweight (down to 91lbs from a light-normal of 112 or so) before she was diagnosed with diabetes. I look at those pictures now and she literally looks like she is starving (which, in a weird way, she was)... but back then I saw through my own, biased eyes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 15:35

That's what I'm worried about. It's tough to try to be objective when you have issues with that same problem...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I went through this a few years ago with my daughter when she was about the same age. At that time, the pediatrician acknowledged that my daughter was overweight for her height at 89 pounds (so it wasn't just me projecting my weight problems on her) but was adamantly against putting such a young child on a formal diet. Her recommendation was more along the lines of attempting to hold her weight where it was while her height caught up instead of trying to actually drop her body weight. Her reasoning on this was that kids who are growing (in height) can have their growth slowed down or even stopped by losing weight and cutting calories enough to cause weight loss can also deprive growing kids of very much needed nutrition.
About 9 months later, my daughter started taking medication for ADD and lost nearly 20 pounds in 6 months; no appetite because of the medication and she was deliberately not eating because her classmates had started teasing her about being chubby. Needless to say, her pediatrician was having a fit and right now we are under strict medical orders to not allow her to lose any more weight. She needs to have a height and weight check every other time she comes in for a refill on her medication, so they watch it closely. She's currently 4' 5" and 71 pounds (large boned).
My opinion is that there's nothing wrong with cutting out the obvious starches and sugars in your daughter's diet and instead replacing them with lower glycemic fruits and vegetables. How could such a thing be unhealthy? My kids still get the occasional high carb treat, but it's not a daily or even weekly thing. Talk to her about what bodies need to be strong and healthy. Another thing is to encourage her to excercise. Ask her to go for walks with you. Get her involved in some organized sport. Go bike riding or rollerblading together. That way, you both get excercise and you have the bonus of spending extra time together and limit how much time she spends sitting in front of the TV or computer.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 19:33
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I think that my eating habits got screwed up because my mother was constantly worried about putting me on diets to lose or keep from gaining weight.

On the other hand, I have know plenty of kids who were not allowed to eat certain foods, like sugar, because they are unhealthy. No mention of being fat or thin, just health. Having some candy or ice cream was just a very occasional treat, like Halloween, birthdays, etc. I grew up with two close friends whose families were vegetarian, and they were not allowed to eat meat. And so they didn't (well, mostly).

So I guess what I'm saying is that you can definitely structure your child's diet without making it about being fat or thin. Just like you can make them go to bed at a certain time, and not play in traffic.

One woman's opinion!

Liz

Liz
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 20:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
On the other hand, I have know plenty of kids who were not allowed to eat certain foods, like sugar, because they are unhealthy. No mention of being fat or thin, just health.

Good point, Liz, and this is exactly how I approach the topic with my 2 girls. No mention of being fat or thin, but rather a focus on what is healthy for growing bodies and what is not.
I use the analogy of putting gas in my car. If I put in the wrong kind of gas or poor quality gas, my car won't run very well or might not run at all. The same thing goes for bodies...food is fuel for our bodies and if we don't give our body the right fuel, it won't run very well (feel tired, no energy, difficulty concentrating) or it might break down (get sick). Even at 8 and 9, they understand that concept very well.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, a few weeks ago it was broadcasted on the morning news that the LA Unifies School System was going to implement low carb selections on the school's menus to help with the diets of the overweight kids. They are teaming up with the Whole Foods Market. That should tell you something.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 10:20

Wow, they need to do that in the school systems here. I was horrified when we moved here and dd's selection for foods was nachoes one day, pizza the next, donuts for breakfast etc.

Her old school had lots of fruit and veggies and only had junk food day once a week.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 21:36
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi,
My oldest boy is 11 and weighs 133lbs. I think the best route is to target pure/bad carbs and talk about health instead of weight loss with him.

Thanks for the postings. My 6 year old is 76lbs but actually is very stocky and quite active. We are going to try the junk limitation along with a low-glycemic approach.

Tom.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 16:39

Stats: 319.5/284.5/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I never really talk about being fat or thin with my kids-- it's all about food as fuel, moderation, making sure that they don't grow up with a fixation around food (as I did), without food as a reward, without "forbidden" foods that make treats illicit, without feeling forced to eat on a schedule rather than when they need it, without feeling forced to "finish the whole plate" when they are full... all things I wish I had grown up with!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:17

Stats: 165/158/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 28%

My 10 year old son is a bit heavy at 110 lbs. He has, on his own started to walk home from school instead of taking the bus. This already seems to be helping him. I will also make the whole family an Atkins dinner like boneless/skinless chicken breast fried in olive oil with salt,pepper,garlic,and oregano and served with it. squash with parmesan chesse sprinkled on it.They love it. I am also trying to cut out the sugar which is hard when you have 6 kids and a DH who likes homade cookies. It's hard to tell him no. So I let him have a couple but I really watch him. Non of my kids are or ever were allowed to just grab cookies or chips for a snack or whenever. That has always been watched.

I think my son will go through a growth spurt soon and I know that alone will help him out. It really is up to you. I even suggested to mu son doing an Atkins breakfast and dinner then at lunch he has what the school gives him. He really liked that idea.