Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:43

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up Junk food junkies, slowly being changed

Just thought Id share some ways that Ive lowered my kids carb intake (mainly junk food intake). I have a 9 yr old daughter, a 7 yr old son, and a 4 yr old son, and they are sugar addicts. Before I began my lc lifestyle, I bought poptarts (uugghh), sweet cereal, lil debbies regularly... you get the picture. After lots of experimentation we have found a muffin recipe that they all like (I dont eat them at 18 carbs per muffin but my kids are all slim). They also love string cheese. I found Kashi brand cereal at our super Walmart. They have one called Heart to Heart thats like honey nut cheerios, and Go Lean Crunch which is like a granola. They are high in fiber which is great and again higher carbs than I would eat, but fine for the kids. I do still buy the occasional lil debbies But Im trying to do this slowly so they dont freak out. Just thought Id share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:06
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I am doing the same thing. slowly replacing items like juice boxes with sugar free drinks. i cut out the little debbies all together. i am buying sugar free choco syrup to make their chocolate milk. my 2yr old won't eat anything unless he thinks it is junk food. he probably lives on 5 bites of food a day. now that i am more aware, my whole family is cutting out alot of the bad stuff, and eating more healthy. they have no choice until they go do the shopping!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:23

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

somebody come clean my house out LOL my dad is the junk foodaholic around here.. mom buys tons of junk and he bought 50 boxes of girl scout cookies!! omg...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 236/184/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hehe--I'm glad my kids are young enough it's not a problem to switch them over to healthier foods!! I had a hard dose of reality hit me in the face--I'm diabetic, and my kids' eating habit could have easily led them down the same path. I wasn't doing it on purpose, but I DID get lazy about getting healthy stuff for them. Now there are no little Debbie's to be found, but there is a bowl of fruit on the counter and veggies in the fridge(all cut and in baggies so they can get their own).

Man, when I think of my little babies having to get poked daily, I shudder. Hopefully, I can instill good eating habits that will last forever!!