Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/181/130 Female 1.63
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question breastfeeding (help)

Hi, i´m new here, so this is my concern.
I´m breastfeeding my 5 months daugther, and starting 3 days ago induction phase, i´m worried about ketones, thats my only concern, are they harmful to my baby? i know about low flow, but i´m paying attention to my baby, and i´m trying to drink a lot of water, anyway can somebody help me on this, are there other moms who can tell me their experience!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/269/200 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I did induction/OWL while breastfeeding both my children but I waited until they were 10 - 11 mos old and eating a lot of solids and some formula also.

Are you exclusively breastfeeding? I personally wasn't comfortable with the idea that I might be adversely effecting my baby's sole source of nutrition, which is why I waited.

I would be concerned about a sudden decrease in supply becoming a problem for the baby. Other possiblities are a change in taste which might cause her to wean herself early.

Can you do maintenance or premaintenance instead?

I know how hard it is to have to look at all that "baby fat" all the time! It can be so hard to lose while nursing. I gained more weight breastfeeding than I did from the pregnancies b/c I was so hungry all the time.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:16

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

I too had concerns about LCing while nursing. I am currently in my 9th month of nursing but have kept my levels at around 60g carbs a day (for other health concerns too). I have never had a problem with rejection but I have heard the main concern is with the flavor of the milk...The baby always gets the best of the nutrition its the mother who will suffer! Here is a link to a support group for nursing LC moms http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PregnantAtkids I hope this helps...there are lots of women doing this.
Best wishes to you for your successful LC nursing!