Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Trying to Stay South of the dreaded 200!

Greetings,

I am brand new to the forum and brand new to low carbing it. I recently took my bicycle to the shop. That is how this all begin. The goal was to get my bicycle up to snuff enough to ride daily for fun and exercise. But I am shaky on the bike, so i decided to buy a book about bicycling and low and behold, the book I bought was "Just Ride" by Grant Peterson ( an avid and enthusiastic low-carb advocate.)
He made a really strong case for giving up bread and pasta and carbs in general so I decided to alter my diet.

Now I feel it is important to give you some background here. Giving up carbs for me feels like a fish trying to give up water.. somewhat. I live a very, very, very carb-based lifestyle. My husband brews beer and wine. In fact, there is a keg-a-rator in my den right now fully stocked with the latest craft brew and there is a California red fermenting now in my downstairs closet.

I have a fancy pasta machine, an industrial ice cream machine, a bread machine will an assortment of fancy flours. I have a cocktail loving friend group and I have every chef gadget under the sun. My husband and I are so dedicated to making our own beverage items that we make our own soda syrups, brew homemade root beer and even our own cocktail bitters.

I also have nearly 200 pounds on 40+ year old frame and a BMI that is far greater than I want it to be. I have a 2-year old toddler that I barely have the energy to chase and a closet that daily has less and less wardrobe choices because of my growing weight. The time to do something is now!

I need desperately to change and I would love to share my experience with others who have made the same decision. Here I go! Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 13:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Glimmer;

funny how things like that happen, buying a book on cycling and learning about low-carb. Have a look at some of Dr. Atkin's books because that is a very nice way to learn how low-carb and ketosis works.

It's challenging to low-carb when you're surrounded by all those home-made drinks and all the equipment for bread etc.
Do some reading in books and on this website. You will likely come to an understanding low-carb doesn't usually include alcohol. Ouch - I know. But if you are serious about losing the weight, you want to get your body into a state of ketosis where your body burns fat instead of carbs for energy. And we only get to ketosis when we cut out sugar, including alcohol sugars.

Very few folks can go back to one glass of wine per day ... but maybe cold turkey is best if you want to lose ?

If you start a journal on here, you can post what you're eating every day and people will offer support galore. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 14:05
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Welcome! You obviously don't do things halfway in your house!
Might I suggest your next purchases include a walk-in cooler to hang and age full carcass meats, a set of very good knives for cutting those carcasses into primal cuts, a meat saw for good steaks and chops, and a meat grinder for your very own homemade sausages and ground meats!

That may all be a bit of an exaggeration, but I know that my success is predicated upon being sure that I buy and prepare quality meats, and fatty cuts too! In my mind, I can forget about all of the carb-laden things that I used to like because I can offer myself very nice healthy foods and treats instead. Particular things that I like are the crusty outer coating of a reverse-seared steak, the crispy chicken off of a baked chicken (my wife gives me hers too!) and the charred fat on the outside of a slow roasted beef or pork roast, highlighted by the seasonings I've put on for roasting!

Excuse me a minute, while I mop up my own drool!

In all seriousness, if you approach this lowcarb lifestyle from the standpoint of the things you are giving up, you will more than likely fail. If you can approach it from the standpoint of the sumptuous luxury of the things your new lifestyle offers you, you stand a much better chance of success.

I for one have decided to forego alcohol at least for the present. I am a lover of craft beers, dry red wines, and a particular 10-year single malt scotch. I know that they are part of the reason I am where I am today. So I don't mind passing for now. At some point, down the road, I may look to a glass of the scotch, or the wine, but I know that for now that choosing not to partake is what I need to do in order to reach the goals that I have set.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 14:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here are a lot of good recipes ideas, right here on the forum.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=313262
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 15:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Hi and welcome. I'm a former homebrewer. I gave away my equipment to a friend a number of years ago when I moved to a tiny apartment. I'd actually like to get back into it, if only to make dry cider.

Here's a blast from the past: a thread discussing making LC homebrew by using Beano tablets to break down some of the unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones. Result is a lower-bodied beer, but very low in carbohydrate. Not going to win you any awards at the beer festival, but those kind of brews get the job done, so to speak.

The fact that you enjoy making these foods almost gives you a leg up over folks who, say, are reliant on pre-packaged junk and fast food. Ice cream maker? Cool! That's on my to-buy list. Lots of sugar-free recipes. Bread machine? I'm sure there are low-carb recipes. Pasta maker? Same deal probably, but spend a few bucks on a spiralizer and discover the I-can't-believe-this-is-healthy zucchini noodles. There are lots of excellent LC cooking blogs from foodies like us. I'll have to let someone else provide the links; I'm not really up on the blogosphere anymore. I tend to just google around for recipes and don't take note of the site it takes me to.

You would, of course, be best suited to follow a specific plan, including one that is restrictive at first to re-set your metabolism, so to speak. Atkins is the most clear and most popular. It allows you to add certain foods one at a time and figure out what your problem foods are. It's not forever. It's not like carb foods are going to disappear from the planet. You can do anything for two weeks.

Give it 100% effort, and you might be amazed at the little health things that disappear, some of which you never even noticed you had until they went away. That was the case for me: so many things that people accept as "normal", disappear completely when my diet is cleaned up. Let me put it this way: as I aged, those little health things became serious. They disappeared by eating LC/gluten-free to the point that I am satisfied to NEVER drink real beer again. That's pretty poignant for a homebrewer to say. (My beer cheat over the summer left me in agony. Never again. I stick with vodka, rum, or dry wine when I drink.)

I've been eating low carb for almost 14 years now, and I'm still thrilled to be slim while enjoying real eggs, steak, full-fat dairy, and never having to go hungry. It's freedom.

Anyway, best of luck.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Feb-24-16 at 16:03.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 15:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome! You couldn't get me on a bike on a bet. But never mind. Motivation is motivation--and inspiration, too.

Quote:
Might I suggest your next purchases include a walk-in cooler to hang and age full carcass meats, a set of very good knives for cutting those carcasses into primal cuts, a meat saw for good steaks and chops, and a meat grinder for your very own homemade sausages and ground meats!
NEMarvin has a point. You've got a lifestyle you love. Reinvent! You're no doubt aware that happy-go-lucky alcohol consumption probably isn't doing your body any good. But moderation, in your current configuration, seems challenging. You'll have to do some rethinking--and reinvesting.

I agree with Kristine. Try Atkins first. Read one or more of his original books: Dr. Atkins's Diet Revolution ('72) or New Diet Revolution ('98/2002). These are written in his original--very original--enthusiastic voice. One thing he emphasizes is: no deprivation. Eat as luxuriously as you like within the plan.

Regular beer? Maybe not. But eventually, a good wine, a spirited cocktail with no sugar, or a lovely scotch. Why not?

You know what you want. Go for it. Stick with us.

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/203/140 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Glimmergai, I'm new here too. I know what you mean about the kitchen equipment, I have a lovely kitchen full of my beloved machines and baking is one of my hobbies. Sewing is another one though and there is no escaping my tape-measure! I have just over 200lbs on a 40+ body, not that I've ever been slim.

I also have a wardrobe full of too-tight clothes and three suitcases more in the store room!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 16:46

BF:

Okay, Clea and Glimmer. Pick out your Goal Pants NOW! Put them front and center in your closet, and use them to measure your progress. It's a better way than scales or tape measure.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 16:46

BF:

Thank you all so much for the enthusiasm and encouragement. I am committed to this. I am also very strictly reducing carbs for the present; below 40 grams a day. I haven't read Atkins, but I have read a few other books that were based on Atkins. I will check out Atkins after I finish my Grant Peterson book because i feel like constantly reading those at night will help me stay focused and on track.

I am astounded about how much energy I have today and how I slept like the dead last night. I assume those are by-products of no sugar. I also like that I haven't had that soul-crushing hunger that usually ensues a few hours after a carboriffic breakfast.

As for the beer, and other stuff... I am committed to not having ANY alcohol during the week. On the weekends, I will have a little- very little, but I am also making allowances for those with increased activity. I know it isn't probably the most premium way to get into optimal, sustained ketosis, but hey...if its angelic most of the time and minimally naughty but keeps me on the plan, then that is what will work best for me.

Actually all of you and this forum is what will really help me stay on track the most, so thank you all in advance!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 17:17

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Glimmer, I have a bread machine, an ice cream maker, etc.

I let the multiple kinds of flour sit in their lovely special canisters for two years. Then I got rid of them: I could tell myself they were stale, and wouldn't make good bread, anyway.

My lovely daughter made some fruity frozen yogurt when she was here last summer. I had a spoonful; it was lovely, but too sweet. At some point, I'll hunt down a recipe for sugar free ice cream, made with heavy whipped cream. I have a dozen different flavors of Torani syrups that I can use to flavor it.

My point, like Marvin's, is that eating well and eating low carb absolutely go hand in hand, no matter how addicted to carbs we are.

I made a wonderful goulash, from a beautiful chuck roast, on Monday night. And with great glee, put a HUGE blop of sour cream on it, because I could. The amazing goulash became even more amazing.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to your new, wonderful, indulgent and HEALTHY way of eating.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 05:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome glimmer

Just to prove that this generic Low Carb forum supports every type of LC plan here is a link to the discussion we had on Grant Peterson's other book back before Christmas.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470853

Dr Eric Westman, a leading LC clinical researcher, approved of it as an easy to understand LC book and diet. I have it on Kindle and enjoyed reading it....you will do great if you follow the Don't Jog, Eat Bacon diet guidelines.
If you like Just Ride, this gives more great information about LC.

All the best,

Ps: today the Kindle is back to $9.99 but a used PB can be had with shipping for $7 something.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-25-16 at 05:52.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 09:03

BF:

Janet,

I LOVED it. Just finished reading it last night and I am following it to the letter; even his exercise advice. The crazy thing is, I WANT to exercise- hard! Something about the way my body feels right now is invigorating. It's like the muscles want to be exhausted. Last night after dinner ( a nice steak and some zucchini noodles tossed in scampi butter and asiago cheese YUM!) We took the my son, a toddler to the park and I was climbing up the equipment chasing him, running down the slides, even trying to do pull ups on the playground. It was wonderful! In fact, my husband has seen so many changes in me in one short week, that he has agreed to do the plan with me! Thanks so much for sending that link. I am excited to see fellow Grant Peterson fans.

PS- Is two pounds of weight loss a day normal for the induction week? It is astounding!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 09:09

BF:

Hi, Glimmer. It sounds like you're off to a great start!
Quote:
PS- Is two pounds of weight loss a day normal for the induction week? It is astounding!
Truth is, there is no "normal." Lots of people drop 7-10 lbs. in the first week, followed by a week (or two) of no loss at all. That's when they panic and quit. Don't do that.

Also, induction can be accompanied by something known as induction flu. If you feel good, that's wonderful. But feelings of lethargy, headache, etc. are not uncommon. Drink some broth or bouillon for extra salt if that happens, and wait it out.

Have fun at the park!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 09:18

BF:

Oh thanks for letting me know, Barbara! I had not heard of the induction flu syndrome. Is it the last vestiges of carb addiction rearing its ugly head? I am trying very very hard to do things right. I know how easy it is for carbs to sneak into your food. We aren't eating out right now for any meals. I have even cast off my beloved whole milk in favor of cream for my coffee right now ( not a sacrifice, truly delicious.) It sounds like I will need this forum a lot more next week when I am not seeing the scale drop. Thanks for preparing me!!! Any advice for beating the plateau and what to expect reasonably afterward?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-16, 09:47
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmergai
Any advice for beating the plateau and what to expect reasonably afterward?

You already said it. Keep coming back. Whatever is going on, share it. Undoubtedly someone's been through it. You will plateau, get discouraged, feel sick, doubt yourself, doubt the plan, say things like "I really don't care if I lose weight or not", yell at your husband, etc. He will yell at you, too possibly.

That's just a partial list of what to expect. Oh. You will likely gain weight at some point too. Even though you think you are(and possibly are) doing everything right. Exercise can make you gain weight, in the short term. Just keep coming back. Ask. Beg. Cry. Bitch. Moan. It's all acceptable here.

People here will want to know what you are eating and when. They may tell you to tweak; they may tell you to "stay the course." But there's likely nothing that someone on here hasn't been through.