Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:
Default Confused

I've been on the induction phase now for 4 weeks and lost 3 lbs. I'm a 63 year old male with diabetes and have hypertension. I follow the induction plan to the letter and log every thing I eat.11 to 15 of my carbs comes from my foundation veggies. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 20:59

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Age and level of damage done can affect things. Medications and other things can play a big part in this as well. If you posted a typical day's menu you could probably get better feedback. How do you feel? How are your blood sugar levels doing?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-15, 03:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Thomas,
As KDH indicated, you should focus on lowering your blood sugars and healing your body first, and if you are on any meds, both diabetes and BP meds can hinder weight loss. The New Atkins book (NANY) you read gives many options on carb level depending on your health and results. After four weeks, I suggest you review those and consider following a diet plan specific for diabetes. Bernstein, Westman, Fung, etc. Read back through the threads on the Diabetes forum, there are many good videos and links there, feel free to ask questions on any of them, it will bump up the thread to the top and members will answer.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Age and level of damage done can affect things. Medications and other things can play a big part in this as well. If you posted a typical day's menu you could probably get better feedback. How do you feel? How are your blood sugar levels doing?

Dear KDH - Were should I post my daily eating log that I keep?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 12:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome Thomas,
As KDH indicated, you should focus on lowering your blood sugars and healing your body first, and if you are on any meds, both diabetes and BP meds can hinder weight loss. The New Atkins book (NANY) you read gives many options on carb level depending on your health and results. After four weeks, I suggest you review those and consider following a diet plan specific for diabetes. Bernstein, Westman, Fung, etc. Read back through the threads on the Diabetes forum, there are many good videos and links there, feel free to ask questions on any of them, it will bump up the thread to the top and members will answer.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

I've read a lot from Dr. Westman and enjoy being on the Atkins plan. My a1c went from a 9.6 to a 5.8 since I've been on Atkins for a month. My blood pressure averages around 115/75 so far so good. But it really frustrates me not to lose all but 3 pounds in a month, an I don't frazzle, I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller from Kennedy international airport.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 14:10

That is an amazing improvement in only one month! Congratulations. I started with NANY too, and then met Dr Westman at a local bookstore talk, and switched to his clinic nearby. Plan is 20g Total carbs, no nuts . Weight loss had slowed and I needed that to get to goal. Your last sentence might be a clue, you are older and have a personality that thrives on stress. Maybe you have mellowed by now but age, lack of sleep and stress, many medications, and other non-diet aspects may impact weight loss.
Also check out Dr Westman's tips here for more ideas to try: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202
Note he mentions IF, many in the local support group naturally fast because they are not hungry, with one or two meals a day.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 16:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your help, your very kind.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 21:25

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1951
Dear KDH - Were should I post my daily eating log that I keep?

Here I guess? Or your journal? Most help can be given with more specifics, that's all.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

I assume your on meds? Im on a cocktail of potent meds for life to manage chronic pain. The big improvements really started after working out daily 1 hour combo bike/weights
The very least it will help your BP
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 06:01

Just added a post to the thread on Drugs that block weight loss.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...590#post8995590
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

Im on 2 of them Lyrica for seizures and Elavil for depression. But get this , I have neither its just in the way they were accidentally discovered as effective painkillers.

Its obvious that taking the drugs in the list without food...ever... wont cause weight gain. They cause big cravings especially for carbs and sugar that I found uncontrollable however after 1 month of Atkins those craving have totally gone and the weight is coming off :-)

And let me add the nerve pain I have has also reduced by about 40% due to sugar and carbs are a major irritant so less meds needed as well
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran
I assume your on meds? Im on a cocktail of potent meds for life to manage chronic pain. The big improvements really started after working out daily 1 hour combo bike/weights
The very least it will help your BP

Yes, I take 50 units morning/50 units evening of insulin, Metformin, bp meds, furosemide for fluid trazadone for sleep and a couple of others.I go to the gym and attend water water aerobics class 5x a week. But I still can't seem to lose weight even being on the induction plan on atkins. It's ever so frustrating.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 14:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

If you are taking insulin, it is pretty much guaranteed to put on weight. The fact that you are losing at all is impressive. Have you been able to reduce your insulin since eating Low Carb?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 04:31

Thomas, exactly what Liz wrote. Have you found a doctor/diabetes educator who will help you reduce medications as you heal your diabetes through a LC diet? Still in NYC or retired elsewhere? Dr Fung has a long distance program you can do anywhere, Dr Westman has the new HealClinic, that new Diabetes Educator website has others listed. With your A1c dropping that low that quickly it would seem you should talk to your healthcare provider about dropping the insulin doses, and some of the other meds.
They are blocking weight loss, look around this great forum to find advice on natural ways to manage BP, sleep, etc. In addition to the Diabetes forum linked above.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 08:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yes, I reduced my intake of insulin by 65% since I've been on the atkins plan. I'm about to eat 0 carbs for 2 weeks and see if that will make me lose weight, I hope.