Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 10:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Shake Flavors

I haven't started the 6 week cure yet but I've been doing shakes for quite a few weeks now, in the morning.

I have plain whey/egg protein, no flavors added.

I really liked the cocoa + caramel syrup.

I was also making one with Cocoa + hazelnut or Almond syrup + instant coffee granules, reminiscent of Arby's Jamocha shake, but I'll have to give that up for the first couple of weeks.

I just ran out of Da Vinci's peanut butter syrup.

I just made one with banana extract and Da Vinci's pineapple syrup -- tastes like a pina colada.

Sometimes I put frozen strawberries in with vanilla or strawberry syrup. Very nice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 12:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I was also making one with Cocoa + hazelnut or Almond syrup + instant coffee granules, reminiscent of Arby's Jamocha shake, but I'll have to give that up for the first couple of weeks.

You could probably use instant decaf flakes and make something similar.

I've been pretty boring with my shakes, mostly all chocolate. Sometimes I add DaVinci B52 syrup, have also tried almond extract. I made one with plain protein powder that I added some vanilla too as well as DaVinci cinnamon syrup and a dash of cinnamon. I have DaVinci eggnog syrup too and keep meaning to try that one. I have a bunch of blackberries from my garden that are in my freezer, and keep thinking I'll toss 3-4 of those into a shake with maybe some orange extract. I did buy some diet black cherry soda (sweetened with sucralose) and mixed it with a chocolate shake to try to Black Forest Cake recipe in the book, but it was too sickeningly sweet for me.

So that was a revelation. I have not had diet soda in about 6-7 months, and I was suprised at how my taste buds had changed. Just the plain soda alone almost made me gag.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 15:06
Experimenter

BF:

I found more SF peanut butter syrup! Yay! New flavors coming up will be chocolate+peanut butter.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I did the "diet-rite orange soda" shake -- added egg (I use the egg in mine) as well as a splash of vanilla. Very good.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 11:55

BF:

Quote:
I found more SF peanut butter syrup! Yay! New flavors coming up will be chocolate+peanut butter.

Heck, I bought chocolate-peanut butter protein powder. Have not tried it yet so who knows, it may be awful.

I tried lemon-lime today, added a splash of key lime juice and some lemon extract plus some sweetener. Not bad at all, and a nice change from the chocolate.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 16:17
Experimenter

BF:

I'm going to try orange + vanilla soon.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:38
Experimenter

BF:

I screwed up today, I was going to do Orange vanilla but ended up forgetting what I was creating and also added cocoa powder.

I was just thinking that maple + banana might be good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:44

BF:

Quote:
I screwed up today, I was going to do Orange vanilla but ended up forgetting what I was creating and also added cocoa powder.

Hey, orange and chocolate is a *yummy* combo!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:49

BF:

Okay, I just broke down and ordered 6 new bottles of DaVinci from netrition.com - some "old faithful" flavors that I know I like, and some that I have never tried before. The ones I ordered were:

Old Faithfuls:
Coconut
Banana
Amaretto

New Flavors:
Peanut Butter
Orange
Peppermint Patty

Anyone else have favorite flavors? I almost ordered the Dulce de Leche, but then thought it might be too similar to English Toffee, which I already have and have not even opened yet. Other flavors I've had and liked in the past include Kahlua, Irish Creme and German Chocolate Cake.

I'm enjoying the shakes enough that I think even when I get to my "all meat" weeks I may still have a shake occasionally, though - as the Eades suggest - I will use coconut milk then instead of the raw heavy cream. Note to self not to order any more raw heavy cream when I place my next Real Food order.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:53

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Hey, orange and chocolate is a *yummy* combo!

Oh, you're one of *those* people. I've never liked chocolate covered fruit of any kind. Our parents used to buy my sister and I little sweets for Christmas and Easter every year that were chocolate covered cherries, or embedded with raspberries, etc. And they *knew* we hated them. Hmmmm - they could have just bought them for themselves in the first place cause they're the ones ended up eating them.

BTW, where are you all getting these great sugarfree Davinci flavors? Ordering online? Or do you have a local source?

I found my Albertson's has like 5 or 6 flavors. And I was all set to try that Pina Colada shake, but couldn't find any pineapple flavoring.

Sarah
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:58
Experimenter

BF:

Depending on where you live you can find them in stores. Super Wal*Marts have them, I've heard TJ Max carries them. I find Torani at Smart & Final and Cost Plus.

I just couldn't taste the orange in my shake today. I still haven't worked out exactly how much syrup to add into my unsweetened whey/egg protein.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 11:31
Registered Member

BF:

I order my Davinci syrup online - much better variety (Netrition). Also, when i make the orange creamsicle shake I use Diet Rite Orange (with splenda) plus a bit of orange flavoring. Makes a huge difference - I also add a small splash of vanilla to smooth it out. (no pun intended!)
One that really works for me - because i can incorporate Coconut Oil easily is:

Protein powder
l-leucine
2 T cream
1 Heaping T of Cocoa (good quality, dark)
1 oz or so of Davinci's IRISH CREAM sugar free
1+ T of coconut oil (nutiva)
1 egg (or two if I'm really hungry)
I then mix it in the blender with about 2/3 cup ice
then add club soda /seltzer water (I prefer seltzer - no sodium)
give it a last whirl...

this might be my favorite - the addition of the coconut oil really tides me over
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 11:36
Registered Member

BF:

PS -- sorry i left out in my last post -- i use 1/8 tsp guar gum in my shakes
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 12:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

mmm Cost Plus, I never thought to look there for some reason. I always go there for wine (not now of course ).

Thanks for the other ideas too - Super Walmart, Smart & Final, TJMaxx.

And another guar gum user - I've got to get some of this stuff.

I love all these ideas!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 13:30

BF:

Quote:
Depending on where you live you can find them in stores. Super Wal*Marts have them, I've heard TJ Max carries them. I find Torani at Smart & Final and Cost Plus.

My sister said she saw them recently at TJ Maxx, but I think they only carried the "common" flavors: SF Hazelnut, French Vanilla, and Raspberry - and I'm not interested in any of those flavors. I order mine online from netrition.com which carried *all* the flavors. I think at most of the actual brick-and-mortar stores it's sort of hit-or-miss if they will have them, and if they do the selection will be limited. I've been to TJ Maxx a half dozen times without ever finding them there, so you almost just have to be there on the right day. I'd just as soon order online and get the flavors I really want showing up on my doorstep. You do have to pay for shipping from netrition but it's a flat $4.95 per order for anywhere in the continental (48 states, no Alaska - sorry) US, and no sales tax. If I had bought the 6 bottles locally in NJ I would have had to pay $3.15 in sales tax for them, so the actual price difference is slight, and I got the flavors I wanted rather than settling for the flavors they had.