Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 10:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 151.7/140.0/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

the food log i am using is from Calorie Counter website. i ignore their recommendations for carbs(which is way too high) and keep them at 30g/day. i was concerned their recommendation for fat intake was 47g and i was consuming around 70-80. but then i researched further and discovered that it is the saturated fat that you want to keep low and it is ok to have high fat. that does that make sense? i realize that website counts calories and not carbs & protein to lose weight but it has a great food log and recipe builder to use. so i will ignore what they say about fat, like i do for carbs. i am going to continue to keep my saturated fat low though.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 10:48

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

That's backwards too, or should I say, that's an opinion that is not supported by better science. If you keep your saturated fat as low as they say to (7%?) you can't possibly get in all the nutrients you need from food. Regina Wilshire showed this in her blog and it was very interesting.

If you keep your saturated fat low, that means you have to fill in with inferior fats. But mono oil might not be so bad.

The goodness of fat goes like this:

best for humans - = saturated
next best = monosaturated
not so good = polyunsaturated

It's because saturated fat is also used to make our hormones and all our machinery running properly. Next best is monosaturated because it's almost saturated. The problem with polyunsaturated fat is, it oxidizes easily in us and before we eat it, and oxidized fat is bad.

Most low carb writers think that the big 3 bad things are wheat, fructose, and vegetable oil (polyunsaturated fat).
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 17:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I especially keep my saturated fats high. I just had a vat of saturated fat about a half hour ago.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 10:54

BF:

i think you have it wrong as far as the good fat vs bad fat.....saturated and trans fat are the worse fats for you. polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are better.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 11:09
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Actually no, saturated fats in the absence of carbohydrates are excellent fats. Have you read any of the data in the low-carb books? Or any of the latest scientific research that debunks conventional "wisdom" about saturated fats?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 12:02

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Saturated fat is NOT bad for you during an LC way of eating, as I've stated several times throughout this thread.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 13:53

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy-s
i think you have it wrong as far as the good fat vs bad fat.....saturated and trans fat are the worse fats for you. polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are better.
Who says? A doc, a magazine, the AHA? Depends on what experts you want to listen to, I guess. For me, now that I think that conventional wisdom's guidelines are made to protect Big Food and Big Medicine - not me - I look elsewhere for the science.

Here are some LC writers on that matter.

Mark Sisson talks about polyunsaturated fats:

Dear Mark: Polunsaturated Fats?
Quote:
What Do They Do?
PUFAs can be a real Jekyll and Hyde. On the one hand, PUFAs include the essential fatty acids, including our favorite omega-3s. But when oxidation comes into play, we’re looking at a whole different animal. Heating in particular sets a bad course in motion, but simply exposure to air, light and even moisture can incite the process. We’re now looking at lipid peroxides, which initiate a free radical free-for-all. The free radicals make their way through the body pillaging at every turn. Their damage takes a toll on everything from cell membranes, to DNA/RNA strands, to blood vessels (which can then lead to plaque accumulation). The harm adds up over time in the organs and systems of the body and can cause significant impact, including premature aging and skin disease, liver damage, immune dysfunction, and even cancer.

What’s a Good Primal Type To Do?

Grok – and even Grandma – got their fat intake mostly in saturated forms. (Who among us doesn’t love butter, lard, tallow, and the like?) These days, we drown ourselves in PUFAs with all the vegetable oils (typically corn, canola, soybean, sunflower and safflower) we use. It’s a completely unnecessary response to the saturated fat scare that CW has drummed up over the last several decades. Those clowns that think Canola oil, no matter how rancid it’s gotten sitting in a hot warehouse for 10 months, is somehow still preferable to Grandma’s fresh rendered lard.
Stephan at Whole Health Source:

Oxidized LDL and PUFA

Quote:
in a paper by P. Mata and colleagues in 1996. They fed 42 volunteers one of four different diets for 5 weeks each: one rich in saturated fat, one rich in monounsaturated fat, one rich in linoleic acid PUFA, and one rich in linoleic acid plus omega-3 PUFA. They emphasized the finding quoted above, as did the media. But there's an embarrassing piece of data buried in the paper that the authors, and the media, ignored (thanks to Chris Masterjohn for pointing this out). Here's what they saw when they looked directly at LDL oxidation in their volunteers:

Oops! LDL oxidation in the two PUFA groups was increased by more than 31%. The difference between the leftmost two groups and the rightmost two was statistically significant. As one would expect, oxidized LDL is proportional to the amount of PUFA in LDL, which is proportional to dietary PUFA.

The PaNu guy -

Fats and Oils

Quote:
To summarize our PaNu hierarchy of fats and oils:

1) SFA is best because it is not oxidizable.

2) MUFA is next

3) Total PUFA should be as low as possible. O3 PUFA supplements are for people with too much O-6 PUFA from seed oils.

Animal sources, preferably grass fed or pastured, are the best way to optimize your lipid intake.

Overall, the biggies for discordance remain:

1 Cereal grains (Insulin effects, lectins, phytates, gliadin proteins)

2 Fructose as a high % of calories in a food abundant environment (Hormonal effects)

3 Carbs as a high % of calories in a food abundant environment (Insulin effects)

4 High O-6 PUFA consumption (imbalanced eicosanoid production with immune dsyfunction, inflammation and cancer promotion)
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 19:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I honestly eat a lot of saturated fat. Saturated fats have not hampered my health or my weight. Actually they have enhanced both.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-10, 18:41

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I have to gently suggest that you have not read PP and you need to do so. He is very good at explaining the science behind the diet. I will say, though, that his blog is more up to date. If you read any conflict between the two, go with the blog.
Everything you quote to us as settled fact is actually stuff that is seriously debunked by low carb science - with one exception. Continue to avoid transfats. They are artificially produced and are bad for your arteries, even on lc.
Hang on for this crazy lc ride. You will think you are in a funhouse sometimes. Everything you read from the mainstream diet and nutrition biz will be debunked. Get ready, read up, and enjoy the ride.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-10, 20:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy-s

Maybe we got it wrong. But the website you relied on just a minute ago got it wrong on total fat and total carbs and total calories. Isn't it possible that they got it wrong on saturated fat too? Get a second opinion is all I'm saying.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-09-10, 13:12

Plan: hybrid Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 215/203/180 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
After my 5 (!) failed attempts with weight watchers I always had this idea of metabolism as "burning calories" like a barbecue. As a little tiny deconditioned woman I had a little tiny hibachi so I had to eat little tiny food so my "furnace" (the hibachi) could burn it all.

Now I think very differently. Now I think of metabolism like a big strong stoker guy (or gal) shoveling coal into a furnace. (anyone remember that engine room scene from Titanic?) The stoker is my metabolism, the coal is strictly fuel - stored fat. The good food I eat makes the stoker really strong and fast, and the coal he is shoveling is my stored fat. So the better I eat, the more coal gets burned. But! I can't eat too much because if I eat more than the stoker needs, the extra food turns into more coal!

I just came in here to say that I love this description. I could use this sort of better mental image of my "engine room"!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 09:59

BF:
Default reached my goal weight!

I just wanted to let everyone know i reached my goal weight of 140 this week! YEA! now i think i am going to go for 2 more lbs. i have re-read Protein Power and am getting info from Calorie Cout website about low carb eating also. I am consuming lots of fat now and still losing weight. I have bought low carb cookbooks and loving eating like this. My husband is also eating like me so it is very east to stay on track. I don't even miss my favorite foods.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/GI
Stats: 235/212.7/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Congratulations! You are an inspiration.

Have you tried George Stella's cookbooks? His food is so good and most always calls for "common" ingredients, not some of the far out stuff I've never heard of.

Again, good job!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 10:47

BF:

Thanks! I have not looked at that cookbook. i will check it out. The cookbooks i have been using is High Protein-low Carb and Comfort Foods Low Carb by the Doctors of Protein Power. They both have excellent recipes in it. I bought them used on Amazon Good luck to you! My daughter is on Protein Power also and has lost 40 lbs since Jan. She has 20 more to go.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 10:55

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

Congratulations on reaching goal!! Glad you were able to get over the fear of fat! I can't help but be a little curious...are you still of the opinion that saturated fat is bad?