Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark91345
Wow, if two years of consistent success is not enough to convince others, then nothing ever will be.

Nevertheless, it really goes to show the degree to which the belief in low-fat, high-carb, calories-in/calories-out has affected us.

You nailed it there!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 11:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark91345
Wow, if two years of consistent success is not enough to convince others, then nothing ever will be.

Nevertheless, it really goes to show the degree to which the belief in low-fat, high-carb, calories-in/calories-out has affected us.

FYI- I am now 4 yrs into my maintenance of having lost 120 lbs. There are still those around me in my real life, that refuse to get it.
I've gotten tired of trying to convince them...it does get old after this long. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at times.

The cycle of 'go on a diet, lose some weight, then revert back to old eating habits and regain'....is endless. The proverbial yo-yo'ing.....that was me for many, many years.
Until I came here and began to see that it is a way of eating for life....that I needed to adopt it that way and not as another diet...or I'd be forever on the yo-yo.
Until people are willing to see this ...I can't/won't waste my breath on them any longer.

I've got one friend, who swears by her Jenny Craig diet food. She gains and loses that same 20 lbs over and over again. She spends an hour on the elliptical daily, to burn off her poor eating. Exercise bulemia much?
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 18:16

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
FYI-
I've got one friend, who swears by her Jenny Craig diet food. She gains and loses that same 20 lbs over and over again. She spends an hour on the elliptical daily, to burn off her poor eating. Exercise bulemia much?

LOL, quoted for truth. That's a great phrase--exercise bulemia! And it works just about as well as bulemia in the long run.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 09:18

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks again for all the comments and "welcomes."

Interesting to find several healthcare professionals here! The scientific studies supporting low-carb eating are starting to make headway among us.

I hear Taubes is thinking about a simplified version of "Good Calories, Bad Calories." As is, it's too technical and difficult for the general public. I hope he does it.

I predict he's getting bored with diet and nutrition issues and will move on to something else soon. But GCBC deserves a Nobel Prize.

-Steve
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 22:45

Plan: Modified Banting
Stats: 253/214/207 Male 194cm
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Gary Taubes New Book

Yes, I also hope Gary Taubes puts out an easy-read version of "Good Calories Bad Calories". I do hope he calls it "The Diet Delusion" which is what GCBC was titled in UK/Australia. Sounds less like a cookery book.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 22:53

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRipley
Yes, I also hope Gary Taubes puts out an easy-read version of "Good Calories Bad Calories". I do hope he calls it "The Diet Delusion" which is what GCBC was titled in UK/Australia. Sounds less like a cookery book.

I have read that he IS working on a simplified version.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 02:18

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I hope he doesn't "dumb it down" too much!

I just wish researchers would look back only as far as the 1940's when we hadn't yet learned that saturated fat was unhealthy. The very few obese people then really did have a systemic disorder, I don't remember that there were enough heart patients to warrant a cardiology specialty, and no-one except the very old got type II diabetes. I had family members live well into their 90's and beyond, and cancer wasn't an issue, nor was dementia.

Maybe, just maybe, they'd realize that low fat, high starch (especially tons of grains), is a failed (and very costly in lives) experiment.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 11:33

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
I just wish researchers would look back only as far as the 1940's when we hadn't yet learned that saturated fat was unhealthy. The very few obese people then really did have a systemic disorder, I don't remember that there were enough heart patients to warrant a cardiology specialty, and no-one except the very old got type II diabetes. I had family members live well into their 90's and beyond, and cancer wasn't an issue, nor was dementia.

I don't know what to think when I hear that assertion a lot. I've done a lot of genealogical research, and heart disease and stroke, especially, also cancer, and less so diabetes, are pretty common death cert diagnoses from the late 1800s, early 1900s.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 16:02

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

I am reading GCBC now. It is very heavy reading, but he comments in it regularly about the problems with dumbing-down research. I hope he can condense his book while still keeping the main points -- the public has been misled by the low fat train, and we need to turn around our thinking to get healthy again.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 08:23

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

well a few months ago I printed off the "diet" on your blog and followed it (with a few changes to suit our needs) and I have to say I am really happy with the outcome ..feeling good ...looking good and both my husband and I lost the last stubborn pounds that have been nagging on our bodies for what seems like EVER!
my changes included
I did not want to drink wine every day (I am one glass a month type of person) so I added berries (I know not the same thing but it worked!)
also we had a cup full fat Greek style yogurt every day with the above berries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries I had a freezer full from last summer so there was plenty of variety and it was just what I needed to keep myself interested and going strong ! I was even making fruit omelets and those are so good if you have not tried them! Also we did not "measure" vegetables and ate plenty but still kept our carbs well under 40 per day (I used fitday.com to keep track). While I may not have been perfect at this plan as your wrote it (I am so not perfect at anything) I did follow your guidelines and feel the basic ideas worked perfectly for us!

fresh vegetables from my garden all winter long were a bonus and mostly fresh greens so you can eat tons of those and not go over the carb limit

we both agreed we will continue this direction for the future adding carbs/calories to where I know we will hold firm at our weight
we both do well on 60-100 carbs a day

this is a solid workable plan for us and anything that allows for fresh vegetables iencourages eating fish and allows for a bit of chocolate.. is in my opinion the right way to go!!! I eat vegetables three times a day and feel so good about it!

this was the first time I did this with out leg cramps or constipation ..in fact my whole body feels fantastic! My doctor is thrilled and took a copy for himself

so thank you thank you! this is totally something we can live with

while I was and always will adore the Atkins way.... this seems to have given me the "repotting" I needed to do better ..change a few rules and finally shed the last pounds my body seemed to be hanging hard to

blood pressure is good ..weight is good

it is all good take care and happy eating!

Last edited by HiDelight : Wed, Mar-31-10 at 08:36.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 10:02

BF:

Hello, HiDelight.

I'm glad the plan worked so well for you and your husband!

"Tweaking" a plan like you did is natural and expected. You've gotta adjust at least a little to your preferences and lifestyle.

Best wishes for ongoing success.

-Steve
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 14:28
Registered Member

Stats: 152/137/128 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 63%

Glad to see a doc on here. Years ago my endocronologist suggested I read a book by Dr. Atkins. At the time I didn't know who he was. I was making 3 x too much insulin and at 19 was constantly passing out, getting cold sweats, and getting the shakes. I had also gained 30 lbs in 3 months and knew something was wrong. For the first time heat bothered me and I was lazy.
I remember going to the grocery after that visit and picking out high fat, low carb items. It felt so odd to me.

Years later, I'm diabetic free, my insulin levels are normal, and I feel good. I lost all the weight that I had gained.

Unfortunately over the years, I have lapsed back into a higher carb diet. I certainly don't eat them like I used to, but I would hover around 100-120 carbs a day. I'm back, trying to gain support to try again.
I say support, because for me, the difficult part is feeling like I have to go on the defense for the diet that cured me of my ailments and allowed me to lose weight.
I'm now 28, and I think Atkins has changed my life and that endocronologist long ago who suggested I read the book.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 18:03

BF:

Hooleywood, you had a rare endocrinologist.

Their is active debate among diabetologists as to whether diabetes (either type) is ever cured. Seems like yours is.

Even Dr. Richard K. Bernstein says he's only seen one case of diabetes "cured."

As for me, I think a number of cases of type 2 are curable if caught early on and "treated" with loss of excess weight, regular exercise, a very low-carb diet (or some combination of these).

-Steve
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 11:12

Plan: My own version of LC
Stats: 245/224/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:Since 4/4/2010
Progress: 18%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
Hey, guys! Pleased to meet you.
-Steve Parker, M.D.

Greetings Dr. Parker, its nice to meet you. I am a Nutrition Science student myself studying to become a Registered Clinical Dietitian with an Emphasis in Pediatrics. I have just started the Low Carb Way of Eating myself. From what I have read in my research a lot of people seem to be critical of the Low Carb Lifestyle. That, I cannot understand, when studies have shown it reduces Blood Pressure and can help control Blood Sugar Levels. My theory is, if something is benefit to someone, don`t knock it. I know that they really push the Food Pyramid and Low Fat Eating, such as the diet the American Heart Association Recommends. I personally still am not comfortable with lots of Fat in my Meats, I try to Grill most of my Meats so that the fat is drained away. I just cant think of it clogging up my arteries. I suffer from High Blood Pressure myself, have since I was 15. (I am 42) I currently am on Medication for it. Id like to drop enough weight so that my blood pressure can be controlled without Medication. I am interested in your theories regarding the Low Carb Way of Eating vs the Low Fat, pushed by the American Heart Association.

Gwen
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 11:03

BF:

Hi, Gwen!

Very low-carb eating fairly predictably lowers blood pressure. Not in all cases, but a majority. In some cases, enough to require a blood pressure pill dose reduction or discontinuation.

I no longer believe that total and saturated fat are significant causes of heart disease (atherosclerotic coronary arteries) in the general poplulation. I abandoned the time-honored diet-heart hypothesis of the American Heart Association (and others) last summer after personally reviewing the pertinent medical literature. [That project took over 80 hours.]

A recent article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition supports my assessment.

When this is realized by the traditional medical/nutritional community, low-carb eating will take off once again.

Your instructors in dietitian school may fight the new paradigm, clinging to the old one. Be very careful who you pick fights with, if anybody. It wouldn't be unreasonable to answer test questions the way they want you to, even if you disagree. Keep your eye on the prize: your degree.

Best wishes.

-Steve