Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 12:00

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default You too Hezz!~

I nursed a couple babies and don't think I lost even ONE lb. doing it!

while I have cut down on many of the things that are possible yeast feeders, the only things that I know for sure effect me are sugars, white flours, and alcohol. What I HAVE done in relation to the other items is moderate and go as strictly as possible with organic products to avoid the hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals. If the process gets too complicated, I am less likely to do it, so I work to keep it uncomplicated. I keep reading about the elimination and challenge to test for sensitivity, but haven't got around to it yet. That is one way to do it for a shorter time, and find out for certain what kind of things are bothering you.

Something that really AMAZED me was cutting out artificial sweetners when I stopped sugar...the cravings were nil and it was the easiest time I had ever had giving up sugar, and it has LASTED!!!! Even the diet pepsi, which was a BIG deal in my life! I use only stevia and fruit for sweetening. (I make a bran muffin recipe that calls for raisins and/or applesauce and I just leave out the sugar that it calls for...it's excellent...and the only baking I do ). Anyway, you might consider how you use the sweeteners and adjust that to help with the cravings. Also recommended by the book I am using is L-glutamine, amino acids, a supplement called Glucose Tolerance Factor which contains chromium...and several smaller meals with adequate protein.

Well, it's really good to "hear" new voices here! Keep stopping by when you can!

LocaJo
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:04

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Smile Hi jo!

Thanks for the support. I've been trying the induction on Atkins but feel as if my milk supply starts dwindling when I'm 20 carbs & under. I REALLY struggle w/sugar cravings (esp. chocolate) and even KNOW I'll feel TERRIBLE if I eat something w/real sugar in it or white flour(esp yeast rolls!), but feel so ADDICTED I'll give in... so that's why all the a.s. right now, but I would like to eventually cut WAY back in that area too- and I have w/the nutra sweet as I know it's not good for anyone, My BIG problem to is sinus infections which is the reason for all my anti-biotic OD in the 1st place and I DON'T want to go back on them! I struggle w/headaches, muscular aches, and lately THRUSH while nursing -all from the yeast. It has been a BIG battle (w/thrush) w/3 different rounds of diflucan, genetian violet, nystatin (me & my son) and numerous natural supplements! I WANT TO FEEL BETTER! I also get panic/anxiety attacks, feelings of depression/lethargy, and of course BRAIN FOG! I just REALLY want to kill the yeast to feel better & to be able to lose all this weight from previous pregnancies...I also want to be more DILIGENT w/my supplements and EXERCISE and drinking water to flush my system. I'm not sure if I can stick w/induction while still nursing or just try PP or what?! I used to try and just cut out white flour/sugar for a while, but I also didn't lose much weight either! Anyway rambling on and could write a book , but I'll spare the details...Did you gradually wean off the a.s. or what? Just curious! Take Care! -Hezz
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:45

BF:
Default Yikes

You probably shouldn't cut down that far (Atkins) while you are nursing. Baby needs some of the nutrients and energy that carbs provide. As adults we can get them other places, but he has only just that one source--you. How old is he? There are other plans, PP or GO, that are not as limiting (in my opinion, healthier for you too) that can help you be LC without denying you or him the calories and nurtrients that especially he needs. There are food choices available that will allow you to do the yeast diet and still maintain lower carbs and good nutrition for the baby. I suggest looking at the comparison pages of th is website to see what is out there and how it might work better for you in your current situation. Even just following a yeast diet is going to make you lower carb and likely lose weight slowly as your body heals. You probably need to prioritize...nurse a healthy baby or lose weight now?...you can get rid of the yeast while doing both or either.

I QUIT sugar and AS cold turkey. Took three days to not even think much about either unless it is right in front of my face (I try to avoid that). Like I said I was amazed at how much the AS was I believe causing the cravings that could NOT be put aside (those addicted feelings). I had attempted to quit sugar many times before with no success while staying on the AS. As drastic as it sounds, sometimes fast is better, causes less pain and suffering and cravings, and gets you what you want NOW. With all your symptoms, getting rid of the yeast feed FAST sounds like the thing to do. While it may hurt for a short time, it will be better in the end. Have you read any books or done any research on getting rid of yeast beyond Atkins? (I haven't read what that says.)

Water and exercise and other things like that are important. There a a bazillion hints and tips about how to get the water in. I usually get a minimum of 2 ltrs of water a day. Oh! Extra water will also help your milk supply, since a protein diet is pretty diuretic. What exercise are you doing? I run, do yoga, and play outside when ever I can. I also started skin brushing, sauna, and get as much massage as possible! It is all helpful in cleansing. Getting free of yeast, losing weight, etc etc, is about adopting a healthy lifestyle that you can STICK WITH! If you only do it long enough to feel better then it will come back. Usually with a vengenous (sp?).

Good luck! Talk later. Jo
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 18:36

Plan: Candida Control
Stats: 263/249/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile Room for one more?

Hello all!

I recently found out about by problem with Candida (Sept 2002) - never even heard of it before! Nor has anyone I've talked to so far. I've attempted the "kill your candida" diet twice since September, and now I'm on my third try. I could really use some support from somewhere!

I started taking ThreeLac and Hydroxygen Plus on the 13th, and I believe I'm almost through the dieoff stage - I had severe fatigue for a week, but that's gone and I have more energy than I've had in a long time! I get a little indigestion/nausea every now and again...usually right after my breakfast. That just started a couple days ago, so I hope it goes away soon.

I'm on a strict plan right now - no sugar, no a.s., no fruit or honey, no yeast or fermented products of any kind, and no artificial anythings! I never knew how pervasive this stuff really is! There is not a single salad dressing that I could find without vinegar, sugar, or artifical flavors. (Side note - had some unsweetened applesauce tonight because one book said apples and pears were okay every once in awhile...went ballistic on my hubbie for no reason, so no more apples!) Does anyone else have major emotional upsets when you eat the wrong thing?

Anyway, there's my long hello. Hope you've got room for one more!

Bye-Bye Candida!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 18:46

BF:
Default Hi Bye! :)

Hope we can be at least some of the support you need through this! It's not easy, but surely worth the effort. Certainly have heard of it!!

I keep upping the anit-fungal I'm taking...along with upping the vitamin c for detox and am having only small die off...yea!! <shwew!> Itchy places, slight headache and sinus drainage, and tired...that's about it.

Keep in touch and stay away from the applesauce.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Recipes

If you are looking for recipes for salad dressings they have them in The Yeast Connection Cookbook. If you want I could post some for you just let me know.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 17:08

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Salad dressing w/o vinegar?

Please post a recipe or two if you don't mind. Lately, I've just been eating lots of onions on my salad to add flavor. My combo of garlic and olive oil never tastes that great to me.

So far so good! I started cycling my supplements like the good doc said and I am really feeling it. Every week I take a different supplement. This is supposed to fool the little buggers so that won't get used to any one supplement. It's been about three weeks and each Mon-Wed I feel a little die reaction.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:26

Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Dressing Recipes

Italian Dressing
1/4 c each:
olive oil
lemon juice
lime juice
unsweetened apple or pineapple juice

1/2 tsp each:
oregano
dry mustard
onion powder
paprika

1/8 tsp each:
thyme
rosemary(optional)
combine all ingredients in a blender and "whiz". Chill well.

C Dressing
1 med zucchini, scrubbed but not peeled
1/4c olive oil
2 T water
1/2 tsp vitamin C crystals unbuffered
1/4 tsp salt
Optional additions:
1/4 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic
6 fresh basil leaves or to taste
1 T fresh tarragon leaves
2-3 T fresh dill
cut the zucchini ito 1 inch pieces. Combine ing. in blender and liquify. Will keep one week in fridge.

Basic Vinaigrette

amounts are per person!
1T water
1/4 tsp unbuffered, corn free vit C crystals, slightly rounded
1/4 glove garlic
pinch of salt
freshly ground pepper, optional
1 T olive oil (or flax seed oil)
several fresh basil leaves or parsley sprigs
1/4 tsp dry mustard

blend in blender for 1 minute. Pour over cooked or raw veggies and toss.

I really stink at typing so sorry if I messed up. You should really see if you can get this book from the libray because it has a lot of great recipes (The Yeast Connection Cookbook) or a stevia cookbook.
Hope you enjoy!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:24

Plan: Candida Control
Stats: 263/249/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Cookbooks

Thanks for the recipes AbbeyDog!

I have a few cookbooks for Candida, and all of them have some good recipes, but there's one in particular that seems to excel. It's called the Candida Control Cookbook - it's got all kinds of recipes, including "desserts" - I made their flan and their nutty tofu cheesecake...the flan was incredible and the cheesecake was really very good! I will send those recipes to anyone who would like them.

I think I will try cycling my supplements like Arnie suggested. I've been taking the same thing for nearly 3 weeks, and I've not improved at all in the last week. Maybe those little beasties need a kick in the pants to start moving out!

Take care and good luck to all!
Bye-bye Candida!

P.S. I'm not having any luck adding the little icons to my messages. Apparently I missed some instructions somewhere - can someone tell me how to get them in the message?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 01:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Having successfully battled and conquered the 'yeast best' myself (using only natural approaches) all I can offer is for anyone fighting this to go on the Induction level and stay there for a while--like maybe up to two months. The die-off will cause INCREDIBLE cravings for sweets, starches and sours, but that's just the yeast trying to force you to feed it. Whenever you get a sweet/sour/starch craving just think "Die you yeasty scumbag!!" and go eat a piece of meat. I had to stick to just meat and veggies for about 6 weeks, but I managed to get the upper hand. I too took the olive leaf, caprylic acid, etc regimine and it did the trick. It was NOT fun, though.
I know sprouted bread is good for folks, but not for you right now. Give up ALL starches for at least two weeks or more. Just eat meat and veggies--no cheese. And unless you like dry salad, I'd just stick to raw or steamed veggies with butter. (Or make your salad dressing with lemon juice instead of vinegar)
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 03:17

Plan: carb counting
Stats: 150/130/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

hey my fellow yeast slayers, im new to this too (just over a week) and since i cant afford a naturopath im seeking your advise..

whats the position on fats, ie potato chips and such? Im not trying to lose weight (the stats i wrote on the entrance quiz were merely random; here in Australia we use the metric system and i dont know how to translate 50kilos into pounds...)

I ate delish, hot, fatty fishn'chip-shop chips today as they have no sugar and were the most appropriate takeaway food i could find at the beach but i noticed i got the slight coating/dryness in my mouth that i get after eating naughty foods.

Should i steer clear of all fried foods too?

all power to ya
thanks and love
maz
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Hey Mazzzy

To fight the little buggers you have to give up carbs, i.e. potatoes, rice, bread, fruit, etc. Anything with carbohydrates in it has the potential to feed yeast. You have to stick with meat and low carbohydrate vegetables ( no corn, potatoes, yams, etc). Some people, depending on how bad your symptoms are can tolerate low sugar fruit (strawberries) and whole grains (brown rice, barley, amaranth, etc.). Cruise the sight to get more ideas on how this thing goes. Also don't hesitate to look up info on the internet. There's lots of info out there.

Arnie
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 01:31

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Be sure to especially avoid plums, prunes, blueberries and grapes...or any other fruit that has the slight white-ish coating on it--that white-ish coating is actually candida! I don't recommend melons either as they can contain a lot of fungus. Frankly, I'd avoid fruit of any kind for at least 6 weeks. Ditto for any starches. You've got to *really* kill what's 'eating' you first. Don't give them an inch. If you're *really* craving something, that's your clue that you don't have things under control yet. I had to be really strict with myself for about 6 months before I stopped craving anything. But, boy, what a relief when the cravings stopped! Today I can handle *some* carbs, but it's more what my blood sugar readings will handle (diabetic), rather than worrying about whether I'll reawaken the yeast beast.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 10:05

Stats: 160/145/140 Female 5-6
BF:
Progress: 75%

I am new to the forum. I have been fighting yeast for 5 months now. Due to my negative experience, I don't recommend Diflucan as it caused my candida to mutate into glabrata, which is almost impossible to get rid of as it is resistant to antifungals. I started using Boric Acid vaginal suppositories two weeks ago and it seems to be working. I began taking 4 Yeast-Cleanse, acidolphus, lactobacillus sporogens, biotin and sublingual vitamin B daily and this seems to be helping as well. I am breaking out all over in a rash, especially on my forehead and nose. Has anyone else had this problem?