Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Question Any tips on beating PMS "carbo munchies"?

Hi, fellow "beachers" and all other visitors!

Here's a question for the ladies of the group: I was on Meridia at the beginning of my SBD lifestyle in September of 2003, then I got pneumonia and quit taking all meds except those prescribed for my condition. I am 100% recovered from the pneumonia now, but in my something like, 18th week of the program, have discovered that my appetite has returned with a vengeance, particularly at "that TOM". I do not plan to go back on any prescriptions but was wondering about possibly supplementing with a "safe" and "natural" appetite control OTC product. Not sure what works. Any suggestions on how to defeat these cravings, other than drinking water and so on? I've got a handle on it, but I would like to feel more confident that I can maintain a reasonable level of intake and not regain what I've lost. I've been sorely tempted in this frigid Boston weather!(Any advice would be most welcome and appreciated!) Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:44

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

When I get home from work, which is when my serious munchies kick in, I take a wedge of Reggiano Parmesan cheese, and I microwave it and then I eat it. The flavor of this cheese, which is already intense, is even more so after melting and it satisfies me completely, eating the gooey cheese with a fork. I bet if you ate cheese or nuts even tho you crave something sweet, you would lose the craving.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:37
Registered Member

Talking I will definitely try that! Thanks!

Excellent idea! I will look for that on my next shopping trip. (Maybe I can put it in some celery or red pepper wedges for added crunch?) Thank you! Have a nice one!

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 270/266/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm doing SBD because I'm unhappy with *NO* carbs, and being in Phase 1, if I'm feeling unhappy or unwell I drink some FF milk (now allowed in the new food guide) or yogurt, or beans (AKA my new best friend.)

ETA I found a recipe I like for Black Bean Chili at www.foodtv.com, just search for black bean chili. It's microwave instructions, but I adapted it for stovetop. To tell the truth it was yum yum yummy the first time I made it, I haven't liked it so much since then. I think that's possibly because I didn't know back then that I needed to check the bean label for sugar (duh).

Last edited by CakkyDoodl : Thu, Jan-15-04 at 21:58.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:40
Registered Member

Default GREAT IDEAS! I will definitely try them!

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I also love beans, especially chick peas and lentils. If you want to sweeten the chili pot, you can always try a teaspoon or two of granulated Splenda. If you prefer to also "kick it up a notch" spice-wise, try "Dave's Insanity Gourmet Sauce". WARNING: Just a couple of drops; cannot be used full-strength, as a topping! (This stuff means business!)

I also like your dairy idea, because I read that dairy helps you to manage fat better. I will also check out the black bean chili recipe you mentioned. Thanks again for these excellent ideas! Have a GREAT weekend! (Stay warm!)