Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 20:10

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Which Plan are you on and Why?

Hi, all. I want to get back into my old low-carb ways, but am really undecided on which route to go. I tried CAD before, but did not do well, as the reward meal was a bust for me, and I could not keep from going overboard. I did lose on my own, eating low carb, no flour stuff, but can't for the life of me figure out how I did it and what I ate!

So, what plan do you use, and why? I'm looking to figure out which one I want to go for, or at least which one to adapt. I have read the articles that discuss what some of the low-carb diets propose, but would like to hear from some of you.

Thank you, and shalom,
Sh'ra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 20:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Sh'ra. There's a lot of information on this site about different plans -- there's a whole forum about Low Carb Plans, so you might want to check there.

I'm doing Protein Power, aiming, in a perfect world, to do the Schwarzbein Principle, but she's such a purist (and rightly so, rightly so ) and I'm just not there yet.

Protein Power gives a little bit more flexibility than Atkins, and cares about what kinds of fats you eat. Also, the books have more medical information in them.

I've noticed a lot of people who couldn't stick to CAD because of the reward meal -- good that you're looking around. You might also want to check out some of the Journals. People put what plan they're on in their profile, and you can take a peep at what different plans/people are eating.

Good luck -- I hope you'll stick around and tell us how it goes
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Hi Sh'ra

Nice to meet you......Well so far I like Atkins, I like being in Ketosis and knowing that my body is burning body fat. I am currently reading the CAD, I agree with the concept of this diet, but you won't be in ketosis with this one. Also if I were allowed to have a free meal once a day right now, I'm afraid I would go over board and go into a binge frenzy and wouldn't stop!
With Atkins I'm in control

Let us know which plan you go on?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 06:43
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Atkins

I'm doing Atkins because its lower carb than the rest and boy am I a carbaholic! If I eat more than 5 carbs a sitting, I end up eating way more than I want or need, can you say a whole jar of Macadamia Nuts?
I have to admit this fact bummed me out. But I rather control what I eat than have food control over me!
I will be honest and say I do "borrow" concepts like ECC from Protein Power and ideas from Living Low Carb. Thank you to those authors!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 10:28

BF:

Alto,
Thanks for all the great advice! I've read Protein Power, and tried that for a time - I found the advice good, but I think I'm a bit like Lessara - give me that many carbs, and I'm a mess. I'll check out the board you told me, and the journals, and perhaps start my own...thanks so much!

Chrissy,
That's exactly what happened to me with CAD. Then, I got a new job last October, 2000, and these people are Carb crazy!!! Always someone bringing in donuts, bagels, having dessert meetings or bagel meetings - oy! I just fell off the wagon big time.

Lessara,
Sound like a kindred spirit I'm becoming more and more convinced that for a plan to work for me, it's going to have to restrict my carbs heavily, so maybe Atkins is going to be it - I've never gone that strict before, or been in Ketosis. The other plans talk about how "bad" that is, so I was concerned. But I haven't heard of anyone dying from ketosis, but I have seen a lot of people die from obesity related stuff, so I'm willing to take the chance.

Sh'ra
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:55

BF:
Default Decision made

Just wanted to update. I decided to do Atkins, as I am a definite carb addict. I began induction today, and my husband, bless him, has decided to do induction with me! He said he'd decide after the 14 days whether he wants to stay on it with me. He does have some weight to lose as well, and needs to break his addiction to milk and coca cola.

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Sh'ra
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:34

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile Which plan?

hey ladies!!!
I've noticed alot of folks are doing Atkins. It seems too strict for me. I read Dana Carpender's book that outlines about 5 ways to do low carb. I sort of figured it out myself, what would work for me...So far it is working, but I've learned alot from this forum as well thru you guys and the articles available.
I don't like feeling like I am following a diet. That makes me feel like I want to cheat and rebel. But when I changed my way of eating---that feels more like my decision and not some diet's rules. I would like to read Schwarsbien, sounds interesting.

Lessara, you are so cute!!!! I loved the whole jar of Macadamia nuts thing. But I can relate!!! I can eat way more peanuts than it seems I should, but I still lose weight. So why not? Better than cookies, yes? I love hearing from all of you. Victoria
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:35

BF:

Victoria,
Dana Carpenter's book? I've never heard of it - could you possibly give me a tad more information?

What I miss the most about Atkins is the FRUIT. I truly miss having a variety in my diet, and fruit is at the top of the list. However, I'll stick with induction and see what happens. I do want to see other plans, though, because like you, I don't want to burn out before I ever get started.

Sh'ra
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 22:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi There.... well I kind of feel left out.. I really did not realize how big the low carb world was... I started Atkins.. and then fell into this site while surfing.. (how fortunate) Anyway... I like Atkins.. I get to eat foods I love... and however much I want... I too think i have suffered over the years in deprivation.. and dieting rebellion.. Atkins allows me to feel free of that... I probably could not do the free meal daily thingy... I too would go crazy!!! From what I understand on Atkins... you can add berry fruits later on... I just like how much better I feel on Atkins...steady energy.. and I know immediately if I have not had enough protein/fat... I get real emotion.. interesting connection...

In any case.. there is my 2 cents...

Best to every one

ramona
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 15:31

BF:

Ramona,
that's why I'm "suffering through" induction now - because I know I'll at least be able to add some berries later. I know it's my sugar addiction talking a lot - I'm in a workplace surrounded by people who have bowls of CHOCOLATE on their desks (which I'm craving terribly right now, and trying to avoid thinking about), so it's a bit rough not to give in. So far I've done well at avoiding them. I thought that the sugar free jello, or a little Crystal light occasionally would satisfy that craving, but unfortunately I think they're triggering cravings, so I'm going to have to even give them up *sigh*

Ah well. If I lose weight, I'll stick. I just want to be healthy. And yes, I do much better with emotions when I'm not eating a lot of sugar and refined flour stuff.

Shabbat Shalom, everyone (a peaceful sabbath)
Sh'ra