Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 16:44

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

I am having trouble having to give up bagels and cream cheese.
Does anybody have a recipe for a bagel substitute with low carbo, or any other suggestions?
Regards
Joe
194/189/169.. lowest weight since I started the CAD about a month ago, because of my bagel addiction.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 02:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default bagels!!??

well, Joe, ya know what it is, right? whatever we want the most is the thing that owns us... give them up for a week and see how you do.

that being said, two *other* things come to mind:
1) LC Bagels (expensive) online at lowcarbtreats.com
2) have your cream cheese (with lox, thin red onion rings and capers, deluxe!) on a WASA or RyeKrisp Fiber Rye cracker

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 06:10

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

I've given up bagels completely and bread... I tried one day to eat bread again after giving it up completely for a year and let me tell you...I felt horrible.. the bloating the nausea were just not worth it. Give your body time to adjust and you will be okay.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 06:54

BF:
Cool

Thank you Judi and Joanne42 for your interest.

How can I give up a Tim Horton 'everything bagel' and herbal cream cheese for a 'wafer'?

I am prepared to bake the bagels myself if I could duplicate the taste.... but if that is not possible I guess I will have to give them up altogether.

Is there such a thing as a 2/3 carbo bagel?

Joe
194/190/169

P.S.- I think I have just gained a pound thinking about this subject.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 07:52

BF:

I found this site to order the low carb bagels and am still working on finding a recipe for them.. Be patient..LOL

http://www.sugarfreeparadise.com/Merchant/index.htm
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 09:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Joe

Well, the other folks have given some great ideas for low-carb bagels that I didn't even know about! Good luck with your search.

While you're waiting for the order to arrive, may I suggest, ever so humbly (blush, blush) that you try a batch of my version of Revolution Rolls? I found the original Atkins' recipe to be unsatisfactory - so I've been working on "inventing" my own. I know, they're NOT bagels, but come close to kaiser-type buns/rolls ... and my most recent version is "grainy" and firmer - when split and toasted, they make the perfect base for soft cream cheese and whatever - I prefer savoury items like smoked trout and horseradish, or smoked pastrami and dijon and the like. I've even shaped them on the baking pan into long rolls for hotdogs, and they worked great.

Click here for the link to where I posted on this forum. Sharon has also included her version, which is sweeter, more dessert-danish.

Doreen
p.s.- yet another version is on the way, to satisfy the savoury, hearty sandwich "tooth". Just needs a little more tweaking, then I'll post...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-01, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Check out Doreen's post entitled "Multi-Grain Revolution Rolls"....this was an earlier version of her buns. In the Food Ideas section.

I sometime add the cream cheese as indicated in one of my replies to her post. It's not herb cream cream, but if it's a "sweeter" taste you need sometimes you could try this.

I tried Doreen's new version and they are also good....she just keeps making them better and better!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 21:07

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Your in luck. I just made these tonight and they are great.

To make 10-11 nice sized bagels (average sized)

1 cup Vital Gluten Flour (Bob's Red Mill??--24 grams per cup)
1.5 tbsp of pecan meal (almond meal, etc...)
1.5 tbsp of protein powder (I used apple cinnamon flavor)
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp yeast (1/2 package)
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tbsp sugar (will be eaten by yeast)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 quarts water
1 egg yolk
1 tsp ice water

Step 1:

Proof the yeast in the warm water and sugar

Mix flour, nut meal and protein powder in a bowl. Add in yeast mixture. Mix for a bit then add in 1 egg and salt. Mix together to form the dough. Dough will be smooth and elastic. If sticky, add a little more flour.

Knead dough for 8-10 minutes and place in a well oiled bowl. Coat the dough with the oil and cover in a warm draft free place until doubled in size (1 hour)

After 1 hour, punch down the dough and knead for another 2 minutes. Divide into 10-11 pieces. In the meantime have ready a well buttered cookie sheet. roll the dough in your hands to form 6-7 inch long sticks. Then tie ends together to make a bagel shape. Let them rest for 8-10 more minutes on the buttered cookie sheet.

Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add the baking soda and cream of tartar (very important becasue bagels will shrink without these two ingredients in the water).

Using a slotted spoon, carefully place 3 bagels at a time in the pot and cook for 2 minutes on each side. They will puff up considerable in the water. Place back on the buttered cookie sheet until all bagels are done be cooked in the water. Then coat the bagels with the egg wash (1 egg yolk and tsp ice water). Sprinkle with your favorite toppings at this point. Place bagels in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack if you can.

My carb count using pecan meal was 2.7 grams each. They are so delish!

It takes some time making this but I think it was worth it.

Hope you guys give it a try. So much cheaper than buying the bagels on line and this way you know what ingredients go into them!

Variations...shape into pretzel shapes!

#9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 21:40

BF:
Cool

Thanks a million Cocoa8 for your excellent achievement on making L.C. Bagels.
Now all I have to do is figure out the following;
1. How do I print out the recipe without copying all the other comments made before you sent the recipe?
2. Where do I buy all the ingredients, especially things like vital gluten flour, and pecan meal and protein powder?
How did you arrive at these ingredients to make bagels?
Do they have the same flavour as the real thing?
Thanks for your efforts
Joe
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 22:08

BF:

Jomil if you click your left mouse button and highlight the print you want then hit the right mouse button and hit copy . You can paste it onto your file notepad then print it out...Hope this helps..
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 05:08

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the recipe Cocoa8.....I'm anxious to try this one.... Every morning on the way to work/school...my daughter gets her Tim Horton's Blueberry bagel....and every morning she says "mom want one???", and she knows darn well what I'm going to say!!!

Going to try for sure this weekend....maybe I can use plain protein powder and add a few blueberries!!!

I'll let you know if I try a different flavour with success.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 06:19

BF:

TEEHEE Sharon that's what you call the "Test of Willpower"..And you are doing great with that willpower.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 09:55

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default bagels, YUM!!!!

That looks like a dynamite recipie, Cocoa8, thanks!!! And boiled bagels, too!!!! When I was in London I went into a bakery once and asked if their bagels were boiled...they just looked at me like I was nuts....but the joke was on them, for not knowing that REAL bagels are boiled!

I'm certainly going to try them, they look not too difficult and I'll bet they're good and chewy. Do they freeze well?

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 16:44

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

I had one for breakfast this morning toasted with some buttere. It was great. They are nice and chewy and they do freeze well.

Enjoy!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 17:47

BF:
Progress:

YES, YES, I just made these bagels. They turned out great... Anyone making them should remember they are "low carb"....it's like having a low carb muffin compared to a high carb muffin. I got 10 good sized bagels. I'm looking around at my breakmaker wondering if it just maybe it might work..... I will probably do some experimenting here and will let you all know my results.

I used to make high carb bagels and the method is exactly the same. For anyone who hasn't made bread or bagels before, they will find it a little time consuming the first couple of times. Something that might sound silly to some, but when making homemade bread I often sit my dish to rise on my heating pad turned very low. Seems to add just the right amount of warmth to make the bread really rise. These rose beautifully for me. I didn't have any flavoured protein powder, but I added a couple drops of apple oil and then I dusted the top with cinnamon and brown sugar twin. I'm looking forward to trying different varieties....i.e. blueberry, perhaps dust with oatmeal and cinnamon....etc.

This recipe will definitely help with my breakfast menus and will be something I can carry to the office. I'm very pleased to have this recipe to add to my collection. I'm looking forward to bacon and eggs and a bagel tomorrow morning!!! I don't think I'll have to worry about freezing any of this batch.

Thanks for sharing.... I'm also curious as to if it's your creation...or one you've picked up along the way.

Have a great Easter.