Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 01:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/172/138 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 15%
Talking 2nd timer at Atkins is looking for lively Atkins buddy

I'm new to this forum so first I'll say a resounding "Hi all" and "Glad I found you".

I lost 30+ lbs in 2001 with the Atkins plan but gained it back + so now that I'm OVER ready to be serious with the plan (not forgetting the exercise) I was wondering if anyone here is interested in walking this way with me.

I've got the plan down. I've got the books. I've shopped. I'm obviously ready. I just need someone out there to holler at/for/to when help is needed (and of course I'll return the favour).

Tacca (that's me)
40+
Blond
Blue eyed
Female
and FAT!

:-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 05:14
Registered Member

Stats: 224/212/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Tacca!
My name is Cameron and I would love to be your buddy. I've been on and off the Atkins diet for months now - I can make it about 3 weeks and then I get bored with the diet and gain whatever weight I've lost back. I think my main problem is that I get tired of cooking all of the time. My husband has been on the diet with me, but he is the one that usually suggests we eat out - which is where I usually ruin my diet.
I have about 85 lbs to lose. I weigh about 225 and want to weigh about 140.
I think that it would be great if I had a buddy that would help me to get over my boredom with the diet and get past my infamous three week diet cycle. Do you plan on exercising?
Waiting to hear from you,
Cameron
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:18

BF:

Cameron,

Great to hear from you. When are you going to start officially?

I've only attempted Atkins the once. My problem came with a major move, then months being unsettled, then trying to adjust to the different available foods here after getting used to the other. The 'slip' took me up past my starting point. Ok, only a couple kilos past if my scales are correct, but depressing after all that work.

The exercising I've started so far is walking (instigated by the hubby who does not need to lose much but swears 'he' needs the exercise).

I do have a tread mill next to my computer but all I've done so far is stare at it and get on for no longer than 5 minutes (that boredom thing). In addition, I own Pilates videos (all I've done is turn them on), yoga videos (which I love - Power Yoga) and every Jane Fonda exercise tape imaginable. Except for the Power Yoga and walking, the only exercise I've been getting this past two years is from the video controls.

I haven't checked yet, so, have you or are you going to post a journal? I'm 100% behind this method as it forces me to keep track of all the little 'bites' on the side. I also use fitday.com as a quick and dirty counter.

Really glad to find a buddy - so, here goes!

Tacca

Last edited by Tacca : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 09:23.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:28
Registered Member

Stats: 224/212/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I officially started today - 4 August - can you start today too?
How long each day have you and your hubby been walking? My husband is similiar to yours - he has been doing the diet with me, but he loses weight a lot faster than I do. He only has at the most 20 lbs to lose, so when he loses 10, he's ready for a reward...which I usually partake of and continues until I've gained back all my weight.
But anyhow, I have a tread mill too so I'll do thirty on the tread mill tomorrow if you do?
and I'm going to be doing it without air conditioning - so if I can do it you can do it.
I started my journal as you suggested. I really have to get serious about this!!! (I'm still trying to convince myself )
By the way, are you in Asia with the military?

Last edited by cmwig : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 12:30.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:19

BF:

Cameron,

[can you start today too?]

I started a couple of days ago out of the blue. Felt it was time. Weighed in at 178 and woke up this morning at 174 (I'm using kilos and converting so it's actually 79 kilos/173.80 lbs).

[has been doing the diet with me]

My husband isn't doing the diet, only the walking as he LOVES carbs. Says he has to have his 'stodge' to live. I'm ok with that. It's the girlfriends who sabatoge the diet with their long faces when I turn down the goodies they've made special. Expat women out here don't usually work so they spend a lot of time going to 'coffee mornings' at each others homes, trying to out do all with their selections. Not good at all.

[when he loses 10, he's ready for a reward]

On another forum they mentioned that the stop and start method will eventually backfire, that you won't be able to lose with Atkins. As some people have trouble starting the second time (second 'real' time as I've made 1 - 2ish day stabs at it in the past year+ but it didn't take because I wasn't really commited to staving off the ladies) after falling off, I'm hoping it's not the case with me. On the other hand, I read that Atkins new book (Atkins for life) shows people how to get back on and keep from being bored. Do you have it?

[How long each day have you and your hubby been walking?]

We've only been walking for this past week, not long at all and I'm soooo sore! He's over 6 feet and takes off, says it's good for me to keep up with him. Yesterday we calulated 3 miles. (Does that equal 30 min on the treadmill?)

[I'm going to be doing it without air conditioning - so if I can do it you can do it]

Hey girl! I'm in Asia, in the tropics - LOL!! We live in a constant 32° out here so aircon is a must. As of 7.30am, I've turned the ac on already! Of course when I go for my walks outside I'll be sweating like a pig, but with the treadmill I just HAVE to push the green button. The thirty minuted I'll 'try' and do, I'll really try, but I may cop out and walk outside instead. It's so much prettier and easier as it's mostly with a jungle view that moves. I've got my treadmill facing a top story window with treetop views but it's not the same.

[in Asia with the military]

No, the government. It's a looooong tedious story. How long are you in Germany for? I've visited for a couple of weeks, but that's about it.

Well, it's tuesday morning (I'm 5+ hours ahead of you). Time to fry up the bacon and eggs. YUM! I sure love this WOE.

Tacca

Last edited by Tacca : Tue, Aug-05-03 at 00:26.