Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1906   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-17, 19:43
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
hope everyone is doing great.

We invited friends over tonight- last minute. I made a big salad- they brought tomatoes from the garden- delish!
Grilled chicken, eggplant and cole slaw. Carb was corn on the cob.
DH had a drink (alcoholic) and dessert- grilled peach and vanilla ice cream. I had club soda and no dessert. My carb was the corn. Feel really good.

Tomorrow's planned RM will be a huge salad with the leftovers from tonight.

later-
E
Sponsored Links
  #1907   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-17, 06:39

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I am on plan, so that is well enough for me right now. Down 8 pounds from Monday's awful 1 day high. Not sure I can pull out a loss this week, but grateful the numbers are heading back down. Last Thursday I was 262+, 266+ this am. I don't think my body will take much more of my fiddling around.
  #1908   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-17, 17:49

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi
I made a breakfast omelette a different way this morning and really enjoyed it.
It was just basically cheese, spring onion,large TSP. flaxseed, a few chili flakes and black pepper, 2 eggs & i ate it almost like a sandwich, & with some
avocado slices (Not strictly CM) & a sprinkle of salt in between.
Really nice.

That's my latest thing; having an omelette type 'base' and adding things that would usually go either on a pizza or in a sandwich. I ♥ it.

Watched a tv show here in Ireland called 'Doctor in the house'.
There was a young girl on the show really struggling with weight and a very high insulin level. She followed the diet they recommended for her which was 1/2 her plate vegetables, 1/4 Carbs, 1/4 Protein,
So very CALP like however
even though she lost weight, her insulin levels didn't lower enough, in fact they increased. She was exercising too.
I found this quite alarming so i'm on a mission now to lower my own insulin.
I'm going to use every trick in the book; leaving no stone upturned.
http://www.healthline.com/nutrition...sulin#section16

I seen a body scale from the Vanity Planet that really measures weight in terms of water, body fat, etc.
There are great discounts for it online and on youtube.
I would get it except i think it may cost a bit too much P&P to deliver to Ireland. Just thought i'd mention it encase you hadn't heard of it.
  #1909   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-17, 12:32

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I have a scale like that made by Tanita. I bought it used at a thrift store, mainly out of curiosity. I have a doctor's scale that I regularly use. The body fat, water scale is more of a novelty, as most people don't really have a need to know that information.

Being diabetic, I've read a lot about lowering insulin levels. From what I've read, fasting works best, but there is really no convenient way to measure insulin levels to see if it's working. It's not like there's a meter you can use like checking blood sugar. Every time you eat, you trigger an insulin response, so it makes sense that going longer without eating would lower insulin. With a type 2 diabetic, there's usually plenty of insulin, but it's not doing it's job, so releasing more insulin is not solving the problem. This is how I've heard it explained. Who knows if it's right or wrong unless you are having your insulin levels checked periodically.
  #1910   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-17, 10:42

BF:

That's so interesting PaCarolSue,
Thanks for explaining that.
I'm going to try Intermittent Fasting for the next few weeks or so as i'm really struggling to
get back on my CAD plan.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  #1911   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 10:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-

I think Pat may have some helpful ideas about getting back on plan, Mary.

Just had CM lunch- salad, turkey, swiss cheese, cucumbers.
One of my friends had a huge cucumber crop- and she gave me a bunch.

Tonight's planned RM is going to be overcarbed, but it's a favorite of mine. I'm going to have a bagel with cream cheese, herring and smoked salmon. Onion and maybe tomato. I will also have a salad and maybe even a scrambled egg if I think I need to up the protein. DH got a dozen bagels and they have been sitting in the fridge staring me in the face. I LOVE bagels, but the days I had one for breakfast (EVERY MORNING!) are long long past. So for RM- yes!

Later-
E
  #1912   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 15:04
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
went through my freezer today and made a rawer of just beef, one of lamb and turkey, one of chicken. I have enough meat for - honestly- a few weeks of meals.
I took out some leftover rotisserie chicken and grilled lamb and made a sauce of pureed tomatoes and indian spices- and have been cooking it on LOW heat for the past couple of hours. Smells fantastic! I also threw in some leftover chipotle in adobo, cannellini beans and peppers. I'm going to throw in about half a pound of fresh green beans for me and make DH pasta. It will be great! I'm planning on having a big salad and bread too.

Later-
E
  #1913   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 08:12

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Hi folks, working on drinking plenty of liquids during the day, seems to make a difference for me.

I have to be honest, I can't get on the intermittent fasting bandwagon. I like the idea of a window of time for eating, and do finish my day a lot earlier than most, but it seems to me, all too often, I see someone dive into fasting and within a few weeks, they are totally derailed. Perhaps it is in how one approaches it - if not implemented correctly, leads to hunger/cravings. I don't know, just know it is not currently something I'd consider.

My main observation of the past month or so - I literally feel sick when I eat off plan - even if NOT a binge or carb fest, just not balanced or carbs several times a day. I like feeling good in my body - reason enough for me to do calp. As for figuring out how to best eat for this possible health issue dna testing alerted me to, haven't got that one figured out yet. I just know I love calp.

Been doing more cooking lately, and just ordered natural hog casings so I can get back to making my own sausages that are in casings. Starting a batch of sauerkraut as well, for Fall.
Fall is coming early here, I can feel it, so can DH, temps are off, neighbors are saying they are seeing what they saw before the last really cold Winter here.
I am enjoying some cm items lately as my recipe for coleslaw with fresh cilantro added in most recent version. Made a new batch of tomatillo salsa, continuing with my breakfast casserole's.
Played around with a chuck roast (browned in pan with garlic, onion, cumin, New Mexico chili powder, homemade cm bacon, then cooked in slow cooker for hours with some plain ground tomatoes. It was divine as shredded beef.)
  #1914   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 16:10

BF:

I don't think i would go the distance with Intermittent fasting either after-all, letting myself get too hungry i can imagine would lead me into precarious territory before long. I would only do it maybe one or two days a week.

Wishing i was on plan here!
Eno, i do remember all yourself & Pat's great advice for getting back on plan.
It's just actually doing it is my battle at the moment.
So i'm going to start doing meal preps to see will it nudge me back in the right direction. I've got the food containers and everything all prepared.

I think looking back at past success helps enormously too because its very easy to lose heart.
  #1915   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-17, 19:58

BF:

No, spoke too soon. I'm going to give the Intermittent Fasting a try every day for the foreseeable future in conjunction with the CAD (-any addictive carbs), Low GI Diet.
Got to throw the book at it at this stage because i really want to get back on plan. Drastic Action time.

PaCarolSue, I've stumbled across this lovely man on Youtube called 'Butter Bob'-"Butter makes your pants fall off" and according to him there is an actual test you can get to test insulin called the 'Kraft' test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WhjX5xljD8

Also he has a video about how some people just have a higher insulin level & following a low carb diet is only 50% of the picture. Very interesting and rings very true for me.

Getting very Autumnal here in Ireland here too at the moment.
Hope everyone has a great week.
  #1916   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-17, 05:56

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Mary, I'm talking about a home test for insulin similar to using my meter at home to test blood sugar. Butter Bob is talking about an insulin test done by a lab. I know my insulin levels are high because I have a lot of belly fat, so it would not do me any good to know my levels. I need to know how to lower them. According to Bob, you know they are lower when you lose the belly fat. Every time you eat, your body releases insulin, so it seems that the longer you go between meals, the more your insulin is going to go down.

If you stop eating after dinner and not eat again until the next morning, that is Intermittent Fasting. Some people do longer fasts, some do one meal a day, fasting for 23 hours, and some do it longer, for days. I don't think I could do that, but I know I'm not losing weight with what I'm doing now. I don't gain, but I also don't lose. I think if I followed the CALP rules more closely I would lose better. I want to read up again on how this plan changes the way your body handles insulin. I DO only eat carbs at dinner, but I don't do the 1/3 balancing and I don't do the salad. I know the salad makes a difference. I know of 2 people who eat a big salad and have lost and maintained their weight.
  #1917   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-17, 14:34

BF:

Oh i see what you mean PaCarolSue,
I wasn't aware there was a test to even test your insulin in the first place.

I definitely am one of those folk Bob talks about who seem to have naturally higher insulin too. I think it even can affect your sleeping patterns.
My previous type of fasting was where i used to wait around 9 hours for my Rm after my first CM and this really seemed to make a huge difference.

Was even thinking of replacing a CM to more of a fat fast.? Don't know if that's a good idea yet or not as it may decrease your fibre intake.???

I would like to find out more about the link with insulin & hormones like stress ones and also exercise & sicknesses like the cold.
I suppose it's all a learning process.

I was thinking including plenty of soluble fibre vegetables could really help too, because i know salad doesn't suit everyone.
Raw foods don't always suit people for various reasons.
  #1918   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-17, 17:08
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
sounds like you are trying to get back on track- hope you can figure out what works best for you.

Had friends for dinner last night- made salad, cole slaw, pasta salad, grilled beef sausages and grilled peaches. I had the peach half for dessert, everyone else had it with ice cream. I also skipped the roll with the sausage. I made a couple of extras so we had leftovers tonight. I skipped the roll again, and had some baked beans and 10 cherries for my carb.
  #1919   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 17:27

BF:

Thanks Eno, Just did IF for past 2 days and it definitely seemed to help with getting back on track.
Not doing IF today but paying attention to the CAD guidelines.

I totally cheated today and bought myself a portion of ready cooked vegetables and a rather over-sized meatball for lunch. But i have meal prepared for tomorrows lunch; just some roasted vegetables and an Italian tomato based sauce that i will include with the RM somehow.

Cherries are such a terrific fruit; - supposed to be really anti-inflammatory!
I would have found ice-cream w/the peaches a totally irresistible choice at your dinner party. Love all the food items that you served.
  #1920   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 06:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-

overcarbed my RM yesterday but it was fun. Went out with DH- had a beer and a slice of pizza at the bar(!) or an Italian place. Then had a salad and chicken parm- I had one half of his entrée and he had the rest and the pasta. YUM. He wanted to go out for ice cream too but I said no thanks. He ended up deciding to come home and have a peach. I was done!

Tonight I'm making a big salad, braised short ribs, grilled eggplant and zucchini, mashed cauliflower and for carb - a glass of white wine.
later-
E