Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 07:17

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

For all we know, a 12/12 could be better than 16/8 anyways. I sometimes do a sort of 12/12 where one of the meals is basically all fat (heavy cream for ice cream), I won't call it bulletproof icecream, but I guess it's the same general idea, I think probably separating most of the carbohydrate (not that there's much for me) and protein from the day's fast makes for lower insulin over all. If you look at the insulin index, fattier protein foods make for less insulin per calorie--but more insulin per gram of protein.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-17, 16:28

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Dr. Valter Longo - fasting mimicking diet

I listened to a podcast with Dr. Valter Longo talking about his fasting mimicking diet. One of the questions was that the beneficial effects don't really kick in until around day three. That being the case, what does it say about 16 to 18 hour intermittent fasting. Dr. Longo's response was that he didn't think it was a good idea. He stated it can cause gall stones, and there is a link between skipping breakfast and cardio-vascular disease. I'm wondering if there is any research on these two claims. Has anyone here tried the fasting mimicking diet? His description of it was 5 days of calorie restriction (500 per day) and you may only need to do it every few months. It sounds like the focus is more on longevity than weight loss.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 11:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There's skipping breakfast intentionally, and then there's skipping breakfast due to late night snacking making for less appetite early in the morning. So, there might be an association for skipping breakfast and heart disease, the question of why is sort of up in the air.

For the gallbladder thing, very low fat dieting seems to be a risk. Searching for starvation or intermittent fasting with gallstones gave me nothing relevant, gallstones with fasting gave this;

Quote:
A prospective study of hospitalization with gallstone disease among women: role of dietary factors, fasting period, and dieting.
Sichieri R1, Everhart JE, Roth H.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Dietary risk factors for the development of gallstones have not been clearly established. We analyzed data from a population-based prospective study to determine dietary risk factors for hospitalization with gallstone disease.

METHODS:
We evaluated the role of dietary constituents, fasting, and dieting on subsequent hospitalization with gallstone disease among 4,730 women, ages 25 to 74 years, who participated in the first follow-up of the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Baseline dietary variables were established through a 24-hour dietary recall and a medical history. Proportional hazards models were used to calculate the effects of dietary variables while controlling for baseline risk factors.

RESULTS:
After an average of 10 years follow-up, gallstone disease was confirmed by hospital records among 216 women who denied gallstone disease at the baseline examination. The hazard rate of hospitalization with gallstone disease increased with increasing overnight fasting period and with dieting. Intake of fiber showed a small protective effect. The effect of energy intake was significant only among women younger than age 50 years at baseline. Results were not affected by adjustment for known risk factors for gallstone disease or other dietary factors.

CONCLUSION:
A long overnight fasting period, dieting, and low fiber intake may increase the risk of hospitalization with gallstone disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1405175/

This is unlikely to be the sort of intentional fasting we want to talk about, and more along the lines of people who skip breakfast because they aren't hungry--overate the night before? or intentionally, to make up for overeating the night before? Or are they not hungry because fasting is just a little bit easier for somebody who's overweight, than it is for a leaner person? If this is the sort of data he's working from, he needs something better. In the case of the 16 hour fast especially, I refuse to casually accept the idea that if I eat breakfast at 9, finish supper at 5, and then stop eating, that this does much to increase my risk of developing gallstones. That's an extraordinary claim.