Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-12, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I was in my early/mid 60's I weighted in excess of 400 lbs. I've now been on maintenance for a year or more.

How am I doing now? As I close in on 70 years old, I am doing better than I was doing when I was an obese 30, or 40, or 50 year old. One example..............back then I loved playing golf! I had to give it up when I was in my late 40's because I was too obese to play. If I were to play a round, I'd come home, be wiped out, and be so sore I could hardly get out of bed the next morning.

I now play golf almost every day we're not traveling, and on many days when we are out of town. I can play 18 holes, come home and mow half of my yard with a walk behind mower, and not have a single twitch of soreness.

The reason I only mow half my yard at a time is because of my knees. About a year ago my orthopedic surgeon gave me the bad news that I have knee replacement surgery in my future. The first time I ever saw him, he broke that news to me. He then told me he wanted to go over some things he always did with his new patients. He told me the first thing he told almost all his patients that were close to my age bracket was the best thing they could do for their knees was to lose weight. He then told me................are you ready for this...............here it comes............. "THAT WOULDN'T APPLY TO YOU!"

I think what that doctor said pretty well sums up how I'm now doing!

Last edited by papajack : Fri, Jun-15-12 at 07:13.
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-12, 06:49

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack
When I was in my early/mid 60's I weighted in excess of 400 lbs. I've now bee on maintenance for a year or more.

How am I doing now? As I close in on 70 years old, I am doing better than I was doing when I was an obese 30, or 40, or 50 year old. One example..............back then I loved playing golf! I had to give it up when I was in my late 40's because I was too obese to play. If I were to play a round, I'd come home, be wiped out, and be so sore I could hardly get out of bed the next morning.

I now play golf almost every day we're not traveling, and on many days when we are out of town. I can play 18 holes, come home and mow half of my yard with a walk behind mower, and not have a single twitch of soreness.

The reason I only mow half my yard at a time is because of my knees. About a year ago my orthopedic surgeon gave me the bad news that I have knee replacement surgery in my future. The first time I ever saw him, he broke that news to me. He then told me he wanted to go over some things he always did with his new patients. He told me the first thing he told almost all his patients that were close to my age bracket was the best thing they could do for their knees was to lose weight. He then told me................are you ready for this...............here it comes............. "THAT WOULDN'T APPLY TO YOU!"

you sir, are truly an inspiration
  #318   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Winging it with IF
Stats: 392/267/185 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 60%

I started shifting my diet in early August 2011, I think. Weight-loss started in earnest in mid August, and on January 25, my birthday, I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd lost 108 pounds. (How great is it that the week of my birthday saw me lose the 4 pounds I needed to sail through that barrier?) The rapidity astonished my sister, niece, nephew, and brother-in-law. They saw me every day in May, June, and July, and then in early September I was completely different. I lost 20 more pounds by March, when I started having my first difficulties. I didn't mean to go low-carb: I just stopped overeating and started eating fresher foods, and since that meant less canned chili and more green salads, I lost a hundred pounds on accident. (I was eating to avoid SALT. ) Right when I hit a plateau I learned about low carb from Gary Taubes, and that made my rapid loss make sense. Unfortunately I've been up and down since, but I'm getting better at rooting out the offending carbs in my diet, and right now I am at my lowest ever. My immediate goal is still to get under 200, and then I'll get to 185 (the suggested weight for my height) if I can.
  #319   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 15:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus
I started shifting my diet in early August 2011, I think. Weight-loss started in earnest in mid August, and on January 25, my birthday, I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd lost 108 pounds. (How great is it that the week of my birthday saw me lose the 4 pounds I needed to sail through that barrier?) The rapidity astonished my sister, niece, nephew, and brother-in-law. They saw me every day in May, June, and July, and then in early September I was completely different. I lost 20 more pounds by March, when I started having my first difficulties. I didn't mean to go low-carb: I just stopped overeating and started eating fresher foods, and since that meant less canned chili and more green salads, I lost a hundred pounds on accident. (I was eating to avoid SALT. ) Right when I hit a plateau I learned about low carb from Gary Taubes, and that made my rapid loss make sense. Unfortunately I've been up and down since, but I'm getting better at rooting out the offending carbs in my diet, and right now I am at my lowest ever. My immediate goal is still to get under 200, and then I'll get to 185 (the suggested weight for my height) if I can.

Good job! Congrats!
  #320   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 10:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I wish there was a LIKE button ...thank you to the people sharing their stories..they truly are an inspiration to those of us trying to fight the good fight
  #321   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 14:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
When I was in my early/mid 60's I weighted in excess of 400 lbs. I've now been on maintenance for a year or more.

WINNING!!!!!!
  #322   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 370/210/170 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Hound
Just wanted to say, I lurked on this board but never registered back in August/September 2008 when I first re-started my journey on Atkins, but now I'm almost to my first 100 lbs lost. I came back here for inspiration and WOW! just read all 12 pages of this thread; what an inspiration.

I hope to join the club by Valentine's Day (2 weeks from now). I have less than 10 lbs to go to my first 100 lost. Then on to my second 100. This is my third time on Atkins but one big difference this time is, I finally understand that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Last two times I lost over 150 lbs but life intervened, I went off-plan and gained it all back plus more. It's different this time . . . anyway, you all are so inspiring! Congratulations and thank you!!

Hey, that's me above! Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled upon that post. I took a several year hiatus from this board but I'm back, and very proud to say, I've had some ups and downs since Feb 2009 but overall was able to maintain at 225-to-250 (with one brief foray back up to 275, but then right back down) for well over three years.

I forgot my earlier login so I just created a new one. I'm back on the board looking for inspiration/validation since I've just started losing again this month - 10 lbs since 8/1. THIS time I will get to Onederland and beyond.

I love this thread!
  #323   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 13:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound
Hey, that's me above! Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled upon that post. I took a several year hiatus from this board but I'm back, and very proud to say, I've had some ups and downs since Feb 2009 but overall was able to maintain at 225-to-250 (with one brief foray back up to 275, but then right back down) for well over three years.

I forgot my earlier login so I just created a new one. I'm back on the board looking for inspiration/validation since I've just started losing again this month - 10 lbs since 8/1. THIS time I will get to Onederland and beyond.

I love this thread!

Welcome back..................
  #324   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 14:48
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound

I love this thread!

Welcome Back!
Keep up all your hard work!
  #325   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 15:53

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

Still a doin' - Now at goal wt down 125#s since Feb!! Minus 18-20" in waist and from tight XXL t-shirts to loose mediums. From borderline hypertensive to below normal bp and lost my prediabetic prognosis. Great to be alive and on the right side of 200 vice the wrong side of three!!
  #326   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 00:49

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Quote:
I am doing better than I was doing when I was an obese 30, or 40, or 50 year old. ... He told me the first thing he told almost all his patients that were close to my age bracket was the best thing they could do for their knees was to lose weight. He then told me................are you ready for this...............here it comes............. "THAT WOULDN'T APPLY TO YOU!"

way to go, papjack! what a wonderful transformation and I'm sure your family and loved ones are thrilled that you will be there for them much longer, as you are much more healthy for them! on that note, did your health markers improve greatly?? (blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc)?

CONGRATS!
  #327   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 00:51

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

I have about 100lbs to lose and I'm trying to 'equip' myself this time around - reading all of your posts is such a blessing and encouragement! thanks
  #328   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: LC whole foods
Stats: 227/218/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I'm now in the 7th year of maintaining my losses. This is possible!!

7 years! That's absolutely wonderful! So is obesity like a distant memory to you now?
  #329   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 07:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui
7 years! That's absolutely wonderful! So is obesity like a distant memory to you now?

Hi,
No, its not a distant memory to me as I will never forget how it felt...nor do I want to. I don't take this for granted, ever....I work to keep what I have every single day.

Thank you!
  #330   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 23:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hi,
No, its not a distant memory to me as I will never forget how it felt...nor do I want to. I don't take this for granted, ever....I work to keep what I have every single day.

Thank you!
I think about that quite often....I know I must always be consious of what it felt like to be 427 lbs..