Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 10:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 147/147/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Pls Help-I'm sooooo confused about Introduction!

First let me start by saying I'm embarassed to say I still don't get it after reading the Atkins book. Can everyone help me on some confusion I have please???

#1 Should I be watching my calorie count during introduction?

#2 If I am supposed to stay within 20 carbs, how in the world can I eat the listed "free" foods. Are those foods really for a free for all?

#3 Should I be watching the quantity of protein that I eat?

#4 When I am off introduction - does everyone count calories?

Thanks soooooo much everyone - you all are the best! xo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Hi Vicki:

Okay, you should stay between 10 - 12 x your current weight in calories, do not think "low cal" - you need to eat.

I never used the "free foods", can't even remember what they are - I use fitday.com to track all my foods -- induction, you must have 20 grams of carbs a day.

A good guide for protein / carbs / fat is: 25 - 30% / 5%/ 65-70% - fitday will help you and soon you'll just know.

You adjust your caloric intake by the your current weight - when I started I ate 1720 - 2064 calories, now I eat 1600 - 1920.

Hope this has helped somewhat.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 10:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/148/115
BF:
Progress: 6%

I dont think you are suppose to count calories during induction. I dont. I dont count protein either. I cant tell you much about the free foods though I actually havent read the book or anything. Well I am sure someone who knows more will help you out!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:38
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:

Here are the "rules" as I understand them - others can correct me where I go wrong.

1) Eat all the pure protien (meat, fish, poultry and eggs) that you want. Don't bother counting calories and fat right now, and don't go hungry.

2) Fat is fine. Go ahead and have mayonaise on your cold cuts, saute your steak in oil and your eggs in butter, eat the nice crispy skin on your roast chicken . . . or fry that chicken with a pork rind crust. You get the picture. It will make you feel full, and help your weight loss.

3) Up to four ounces of hard cheese and three tablespoons of liquid cream per day. No cottage cheese on induction.

4) Eat your veggies! Even on induction you're allowed either three cups of salad per day, or two cups of salad and a cup of allowed vegetables per day. Check the lists in the book for allowed vegetables. I believe you are also allowed a certain amount of olives and avocado in addition to these vegetables. Check the book.

5) No nuts or aspartame on induction.

Good luck!

--Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:50

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

There is no need to count calories unless you have a major stall at some point...i have never..and have always eaten very very high calorie count and never had a problem