Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:23

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 265/260/160 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default questions about calculating carbs

hello! i am new to TSP. My doctor suggested it to me a few years ago, i did it for about two weeks and then my husband was shipped off to iraq. now, 3 years later, he's back and we have a beautiful 2 year old daughter. I recently decided to give TSP a try again because A. I feel like crap and i'm only 31, B. I have excess weight i need to get off and C. my sugar levels have always been on the extreme high end of "normal".

I am so glad I found a place that talks about TSP.

I have a question, in the book the Dr. says to not counts the carbs in non-starchy veggies and that we can eat as many of these that our body needs. does this work for you and is it always true? I'll for instance eat a 3-4 oz piece of chicken, with 1/2 cup of corn and then most times almost a whole can of green beans. should i still really not count the green beans? it just seems so weird to not count those as carbs.

Also, on atkins i know they subtract the fiber grams to get the true net carbs, do we do that on SP as well? i don't remember ever reading anything on that in the books.

Can anyone give me some insight has to how they calculate carbs?

TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:22

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hey Tia, http://www.fitday.com/ is a greatresource for counting and keeping track of calories, carbs and anything else diet-wise you can think of.

I do subtract the fiber in carbs, but my body doesnt believe in the theory of not counting veggies. Might work for you, doesnt work for me.

Arent green beans the greatest!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:52

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 265/260/160 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 5%

wow, that is an awesome site! thanks so much for sharing...had to share with many friends =)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 17:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaddog66
Hey Tia, http://www.fitday.com/ is a greatresource for counting and keeping track of calories, carbs and anything else diet-wise you can think of.

Or, you could stay right here and use our own MyPLAN. Just go to the green menu bar above the posts and look for MyPLAN (in yellow) to the right. The beauty of using MyPLAN is that if you have any questions about it, you can go to our dedicated subforum (click here for the link) for help.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 14:49

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi there, congrats on starting your new life eating whole foods!

You can read the journals of those (like me) who are on SP, or something close to it, and see the daily changes and successes.

I don't count the carbs at all, but I've been eating whole foods for nearly 6 years now. I suggest taking a LONG time to read thru my journal to see the journey I've made to lose nearly 100 pounds at this point, and it should answer MOST of your questions.

I highly recommend reading her third book entitled Schwarzbein PRinciple: THE PROGRAM. It is a good easy read that gives a lot of info that the first book didn't. It also addresses exercise.

You might wish to also start a journal. Go to the BOOTCAMP section, journals and follow the links to start one.

Your best guide is the book itself and reading the journals of those of us who are following (to the most part) the program.

Best wishes, God bless your journey! --Betty

PS Just click the JOURNAL link in my post and it will take you to hundreds of posts to read thru, starting in 2002......