Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 00:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/153.2/110 Female 5'2"
BF:42%/40%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Low Carbing in Asia

Just trying to check out if there's anyone from Asia also doing low-carb? Want to exchange ideas on how to shop in Asia. Thanks.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-07, 08:50

Stats: 145/114/110 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi Lazycat, am also wondering if I'm alone in
Asia low carbing...I'm in Malaysia...never heard or seen low carb bread or sugar replacement Splenda. So difficult for me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 20:25
Registered Member

Hi Taida Crab,

Well, I am luckier in Hong Kong as some of the fast food chains now provides Splenda if you request artificial sweeteners. There are low carb goodies like chips and chocolates but then it's extremely expensive.

There's been some sort of low carb craze earlier but then I guess it's difficult because most Asians need to have rice every meal.

How long have you been on Atkins? What have you been eating in Malaysia?

Cheers,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 03:50

Stats: 157/144/130 Female 168
BF:
Progress: 48%

LCarbing in asia is pretty difficult. You can never eat out cause most food like stir fry has sugar or/and starch in it. I'm in Malaysia and there's no Atkins product or minimal low carb products. So what I'll do is cook my own most of the time. I'll make flaxseed sandwich, shirataki noodles, fried rice (with cauliflower), soy bean shakes etc. Don't know about Hong Kong, but there's things like sugar free jam, peanut butter, cookies. There's no splenda so I use stevia. When I do eat out, I'll stick with meat, yong tau foo, fish ball, eggs etc.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 06:12

BF:

Howdy La
Well, finally fellow low carber from home. Have been on Atkins since April...very strict...no noodles, rice or anything sugared...no fruits. Miss them fruits. Tho now I'm more relax but still counting carb. So worried abt getting back the weight if I start taking carb. Where to get stevia? Wish I can get low carb bread...love bread.

I take a lot of clear vegetable soups with home made meatballs and fishballs. Usually soup for breakfast, egg for lunch, dinner I eat thin slices of pork saute in ginger and garlic with a little soy sauce. Enjoy this meal and can take it for days on end.

What abt you both?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 06:14

BF:

Wanted to address the earlier reply "Howdy Lazycat n Marmite" accidentally sent it prematurely.
Cheerio
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 20:54

BF:

Hey Tiadacarb, you can get stevia at Guardian pharmacy. There's also another sweetener call Eversweet and made with sucralose like Splenda. Also available at Guardian. As for lowcarb bread, you can try Gardenia's Breakthrough bread. Its low carb and low sugar, about 10gram for 2 slices.

Its good that you make your own fishball cause all the fishballs outside has flour as filler, even those in the yong tau foo. But I eat them anyway and it has not stalled my weight loss. I've also eaten rendang and curry minus the gravy and so far so good. Guess I'm not really srict with the diet. As long as I'm still losing...then ok lor.

What do you eat in Hong Kong, LazyCat?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 02:22
Registered Member

Hi Marmite and Tiadacrab - You both have very cute nick names. So what am I eating in HK?

Breakfast:
Cheese/Ham/Bacon/Mushroom omelet

Lunch:
Chinese food without the rice
Steak
Grilled fish
"beef ball" - only a little bec I know there's flour
beef brisket ("ngau lam")

Dinner:
Veggies with pork / beef
Chinese soup - sometimes there's some "sweet dates" in it but I take it anyway

Sometimes I eat the Chinese type of roasted pork.

For snacks, I have cheese and some nuts. I am also lucky that I can buy sugarless jello but then I am not taking anything with artificial sweetener and caffeine for my induction period.

Am on my 10th day today.

Oh, I miss durian!!! I have not had any decent durian for more than 5 years. All the durians are now picked before it is ripe and left in the boat to rippen. Not as good as the durian shipped by air.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 07:03

BF:

Hmmm...looks like I'm the strictest...but I seem to be stalling. So might go for another induction to get rid of my last 6lb or go do some serious exercise. So lazy!!! Rather control food.

Can u actually cook with stevia?? Okay will try the gardenia bread. Thanks for info.

Lazycat, there's a lot more low carb product in HK than M'sia. Lucky u.

BTW Marmite, Carl's Jr in One Utama has a low carb burger...the meat patty wrap in lettuce...but I'm sure the meat patty has some kind of carb filler. Well, it is one of its kind over here.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 02:30

BF:

Looks like we're the only three lowcarbers in Asia

I've always thought most of everyone in Hong Kong hates durian. I once had a friend from there who gets nauseaus just from the sight of it! Its also durian season here in Malaysia but it has never been a favourite of mine so I don't really miss it. I used to love fruits prior to doing lowcarb, but I don't even missed them now. But I do miss rice! The othe day I tried making fried rice with cauliflower and prawns, pretty ok and I guess it'll have to do.

Stevia (the brand is Greenlite) can be used for cooking and baking. The same goes for Eversweet. I have tried the low carb burger at Carl's Jr. Is quite good but its sweet! Probably has sugar and quite expensive. Infact they can make all the burgers low carb, they said they'll remove the buns and wrap it with lettuce. This was the only time that I ate at a burger joint without looking stupid or feeling guilty(for throwing away the bun)

Anyway, what are the positive things that you guys have noticed eversince you started lowcarbing? (besides losing weight of course)

Btw, Happy Merdeka Tiadacarb! In case you're wondering what it means LazyCat,... Malaysia is celebrating its 50 years of independence!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 03:00
Registered Member

Hi Tiadacrab,

May I know how tall you are? May be it's because you are not over weight anymore, that's why you cannot loose weight.

May be the home made meatballs and fishballs are stalling you.

Also you might want to try and "extra clean" induction with no caffeine. I guess you might be Chinese since you've mentioned some Chinese food. Most of us Chinese drink lots of tea that is full of caffeine.

For my induction this time, I have skipped coffee, tea, and even sugar free sodas. I try not to use any stevia/splenda/equal to ensure that I loose weight during induction.

Not sure if you have heard of the "golden ticket" rule that Atkins works best the first time around. When the 2nd or 3rd time comes, the body is smart already. It's my N-th time on Atkins, so i better think of a way to out-smart my body's metabolism.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Cheers,
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 03:57

BF:

I stand at 5ft. Still not happy with my weight, want to reach my goal.
Hopefully my weight will not be yo-yoing...want to just maintain once I hit the goal.
Well, as for the positive things are the compliments I get and the self confidence I have now compared to previously. Of the nice clothes I get to wear..., this really gives me the motivation to continue low carbing...altho I do feel deprived some times.

Thanks Lazycat for info, will start another induction come this Monday to rid of the last few lbs. As you said, I will try to do a real "clean one".
Wish me luck!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 21:26
Registered Member

Hi TiadaCrab,

Nice to have a group of people motivating each other. My progress is not that good since I am having my period and also I have not been very "clean" lately. There are so many dinners that I have to go to and makes eating "clean" low carb food impossible.

Also I was not able to drink so much water if I am not at work.

Hopefully this week will be better. I have not lost a single pound (and actually gained) since my 6th day of induction.

Am also finding the time to add exercise to my program.

Wish me luck too

Take care!

Cheers,
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 22:32

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite
Looks like we're the only three lowcarbers in Asia

I've always thought most of everyone in Hong Kong hates durian.

Nope, there are at least 4! I've been low-carbing (South Beach Diet) since January. My husband does too, and so does his GP.

Typical Day

Breakfast - usually eggs scarmbled w/ tomato, left-over greenies from the night before & peppers.

Lunch - lettuce salad w/ some kind of protein (left-over fish or chicken, canned fish, ham, etc.), & veggies

Supper - usual Cantonese meal w/out rice - but no breading and avoiding the deep fried stuff - I end up eating a lot of steamed fish or lightly fried fish, pork chop, tofu, steamed ribs , etc.

For a while I was eating a fair amount of cottage cheese - but my local super-market hasn't been carrying it.

re: durian - my husband (born & raised in HK) loves durian. You can buy them in the wet-markets and super-markets here in season.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 00:16
Registered Member

Hi HK-LowCarb - At last I've found someone that's low carbing in HK. I have started low carbing when I was in Manila way back year 2000. Then the story is the same: lost weight > gained weight > low carb again...

It's my Nth time (I lost count already) low carbing and my progress is not as good as before.

Last Feb. 2006, I have started low carbing again and I lost 30 pounds is less than 6 months. So my cousins soon followed as most of us are overweight because it runs in the genes.

One lost 20 pounds, the other lost 15, and another lost 10 pounds. My other cousin (male) did not follow our "fad" and went to those "slimming shops" (i.e. Sau San Tong, Bin Len D, etc.) and spent almost HK$400K he is over 250 pounds and lost only about 40 pounds I think. Now that he is off the program, he gained back the 40 pounds + interest.

Well, am really so happy that I've found someone low carbing in HK. BTW, do you mind sharing your super market shopping list? Shopping at City Super is making me broke!!! It's so expensive but my local Park n Shop does not sell too much low carb goodies.

Thanks and keep in touch!

P.S. During is good!!! Hehehe....