Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Any Low-carbers in South Africa?

I know there must be many people in South Africa, who may have come across this forum, as Dr Atkins books are flying off the shelves here. It would be nice to share ideas and offer advice as to substituting products and ingredients for South African brands. Very little is available as far as LC treats and products, and most health experts are completely against the Atkins diet, so I have had to make up menus and recipes, on my own and would love to share them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 04:10

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 194/173/156 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:
Default From South Africa - Stylus

Hi Stylus. I am from SA and would love to hear from you
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 15:33

BF:

Hi Amanda

Thank goodness I've finally found someone to respond to my posting from South Africa!

It would be great to hear from you and if I can offer any advice or help, it would be my pleasure to do so. I 've been on this WOE (Way of Eating) for 2 and a half months and don't think I could have continued to stay on it, without the help of this forum. It is large with many members, but lots of people are willing to help you. You can stick to the Atkins diet, if you substitute some of the acceptable foods with South African versions, YOU CAN DO IT. And it looks like you have already, congrats on the weight-loss you've achieved so far!

You can reach me by visiting my journal anytime, and if you need some help setting your own one up, just shout!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 03:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi there. Well you are doing absoloutely fantastic. Keep it up. I cant believe how good you are doing. I am getting stuck on the South African versions, any ideas? My menu basically consists of meat and a bit of salad. I would love a bit of variety. Also, what do you snack on? How do I set up my journal? So you mean to tell me you have lost 21 kg's in 2 and a half months. Take care, keep strong
Amanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 15:01

BF:

Hi Amanda

Sorry I only came back to you now, but I can only go online at night and weekends, thanks to our lovely phone service in this country costing so much!
Quote:
How do I set up my journal?
You click on Journals/Bootcamp which is a sub menu in the Active Forum (Main page) You can also find it at the bottom right hand corner of this page in a drop-down menu, titles forum jump. Once there just start a new thread with the title you want your journal to be: ie.: "Amanda's Journal". Once you post your first entry in the new thread, your journal icon will appear at the bottom right hand corner of each posting you make and you can click on anyone's else's (like mine) in their postings to get to their's. To find your journal each time you log on, just look at the top right hand corner of the screen, where it says: Welcome Amanda and click on journal. You can also access all threads that you have posted on as well as your journal by clicking on User CP on the top left hand side of the toolbar at the top of this page (next to FAQ's). You will see a list of all subscribed threads that you have posted to including your journal and you can also change your profile and signature, avatars etc.
Quote:
I would love a bit of variety. Also, what do you snack on?
Once you have managed to set up your journal, post a couple of menu's in there and I can help you think of some variety and different recipes to make this plan less boring. If you struggle to set up the jounral, just post them in this thread and then I can sort you out!

Write Soon

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 16:24

BF:

Quote:
So you mean to tell me you have lost 21 kg's in 2 and a half months.
Sorry, to laugh, I really wish I HAD lost 21 kgs but, no I'm afraid I think I've only lost about 10. My start weight is 86 because that's when I started weighing myself which was in Feb. I also messed up the beginning of the diet when I drank flavoured mineral water instead of plain, as I didn't know what the carb content was. I found out afterwards, that each glass had about 6 carbs in it!!!

Anyway, eventually I started induction properly and stuck to it, but I am a slow loser although my hubby loses weight much faster than I do. I HAVE lost centimetres though, which I manage to do every week, even though I sometimes don't lose kilo's for several weeks. So far I've lost about 50cm since the middle of Feb; if I can offer any advice that will really help you, it's to measure yourself on a weekly basis as well as jump on the scales. It can be very disheartening to not lose kg's. but sometimes it's just your body's way of adjusting. Also there are lots of foods that can cause you to retain water such as nuts, bacon, cold meats like ham and cheese because they can have a high level of sodium.

Anyway, I hope I haven't confused you too much with too much info. Take care and write soon

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 08:50

BF:
Progress:

Hi there Karen. Well,i had some pretty bad news yesterday. About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries. Anyway,after a lot of dieting I managed to fall pregnant with a healthy,beautifull baby boy. I weigh less now than back then, and the PCO's has come back. The doctor has advised me to go on to the low GI diet. Atkins was going really well,and I am very dissapointed. Apparantly you need good carbs to help you. Oh well, life goes on. Anyway,take care. By the way, my snack foods are mainly Tom Sawyer's pork crackling,biltong and boiled eggs. Very interesting huh?
Lots of love
Amanda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 15:34

BF:

Hi Amanda

I posted my response in your journal.

Love Karenxxx
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 08:49

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default I'm in Douglasdale

Hi there,

I'm also from SA. Nice to know that there are other's from SA living to LC way of life.

Good luck to everyone.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 15:19

BF:

Hi Tims mum

Nice to meet you - where is Douglasdale?

You've done really well so far - how are you enjoying the LC way of life? I love this plan - even though the losses has slowed down quite a lot. I never get hungry eating this way - not like I used to on Low fat.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 08:29

BF:

Hi Karen
Thanks for your reply. Douglasdale is right next to Fourways Mall. You've lost loads March 31, 2006. I love the LC way of life... the only problem is that sometimes it gets bland and boring. Its a bit of a challenge to come up with innovative ideas to make the meals more enjoyable.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 14:27

BF:

Hi

Quote:
the only problem is that sometimes it gets bland and boring. Its a bit of a challenge to come up with innovative ideas to make the meals more enjoyable.

I agree with you regarding the above. Especially when you crave things like fruit. Luckily I really don't miss things like potatoes, bread and pasta. As long as I can have my coffee with cream every morning - I'm happy!

I do have fruit now and then - Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries. Yesterday I made a really delicious Ice Cream with them and stuck it in the freezer for Xmas. As far as the rest of the Xmas meal is concerned I feel I can have more yummy things than I could on a low-fat diet - like Gammon, Roast Lamb and roast veggies like pumpkin. I really don't think I will miss the potatoes and gravy either.

Are you still on induction levels or have you moved up the ladder to OWL? I have added more things like the fruit, nuts and other veggies but I'm still sticking to about 25 carbs a day.

Do you find you have to count calories as well? I know you don't have to on Atkins but the age I am (42) I find that the losses improved after cutting back.

Hope to speak to you soon - we can swop tips on getting LC products in this country - not very easy!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 02:20

BF:

Hi Stylus,

Been away for a while with all the festivities hence the delay in reply. How was your XMAS? Did you gain or lose? I pretty much gained 3lbs but then lost it when i went back on LCing last week. I recently found pork crackling in a butchery at Northgate....it made for a good snack. I also noticed that Weigh-less have come up with low carb sausages and bacon. Usually sausages have about 9g of carbs per 100g but these new weigh-less sausages are 3g per 100g and they come with herbs and pepper....yummy! You can get them in Pick & Pay! I have macadamia nuts as a snack from time to time. Been looking for low carb syrups without much luck. Any ideas?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 03:00
Registered Member

Stats: 160/140/120 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi stylus,

I'm from Egypt and I hardly find anyone from there.It was so good to hear the weight by kilos as in Egypt and the measures in centimeters, it makes a big difference.
i was 82 kilos when i started, now I'm 70, maybe little as I didnt weigh recently, also concerning cooking, I share you the experience of not having the products they talk about.
can I join here as we are all in Africa?
Hanan
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 11:53

BF:

Welcome Hanan and welcome back Tim's Mum!

Tim's mum: I didn't gain anything over Xmas even though I had Canderel choccies, and a little cheese sauce and gravy. They were my only cheats but I did eat a lot of the allowed foods like gammon etc!

Quote:
I recently found pork crackling in a butchery at Northgate....it made for a good snack. I also noticed that Weigh-less have come up with low carb sausages and bacon. Usually sausages have about 9g of carbs per 100g but these new weigh-less sausages are 3g per 100g and they come with herbs and pepper....yummy!

When we lived in Joburg I used to eat pork crackling as well, but can't find it here where we live (Kuruman). But I have tried the pork bangers from weighless - they are yummy!

I have no idea where to get those syrups, unless you can order them online from an overseas supplier. If you find a supplier please let me know - those Brits and Americans don't know how lucky they are!!!!

Hanan: I would be happy to have you as part of our (very) small group from Africa. I started at 86 but now am down to 69 so we are very close in weight at the moment.
How do you find people's attitude's towards LCing - here in SA most dieticians are against it, *sigh*.