Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 22:10
Shrinking Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%
Default Starting Again

I am re-starting South Beach again. Although I was successful with Atkins in the past but I have been steadily gaining weight partially due to menopause. Even though I have not changed my eating or exercise I have continued to gain weight even though I have been sticking fairly close to Atkins. So, I am going to try something new. I tried SB about a year ago without much success, but am ready to try again. I started phase I six days ago and though I have not lost any weight yet, but I am going to stick with it. I posted under the buddy section and I am hoping to find someone who is going through the same thing who would like some mutual support. I am going to visit these boards everyday again, hopefully they will keep me motivated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 06:08

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Welcome Back to the Beach! Even though I am not going through Menopause yet, I feel for you. 3 years ago I went through a Partial Hysterectomy and slowly but steadily gained 60lbs back that I had previously lost on the Beach. I am now half way to goal again and even though it slowed down a lot, I am sticking with it. I am making changes for life here and it is a lot easier this time than it was last time. I already know most of the things that I CAN and CANNOT eat.
Good luck on your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 06:46

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180.8/144/132 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hey,welcome back... Have you been eating too little?may your body slowed down? once I exeperienced it. I was eating the same and exercising the same but I was gaining weight. Maybe you should also go to a MD and ask for thyrroid gland tests. sometimes menapause has different effects on body.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 08:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty47200
I am re-starting South Beach again. Although I was successful with Atkins in the past but I have been steadily gaining weight partially due to menopause. Even though I have not changed my eating or exercise I have continued to gain weight even though I have been sticking fairly close to Atkins. So, I am going to try something new. I tried SB about a year ago without much success, but am ready to try again. I started phase I six days ago and though I have not lost any weight yet, but I am going to stick with it. I posted under the buddy section and I am hoping to find someone who is going through the same thing who would like some mutual support. I am going to visit these boards everyday again, hopefully they will keep me motivated.

Hi and Welcome Back!

I am also now in menopause and I hear you on the slow weight gqain. I fight it daily and so far, I'm winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty
I have continued to gain weight even though I have been sticking fairly close to Atkins

When you say fairly close, what exactly does this mean to you?
I can tell you that I had to totally change my way of eating permanently, to keep off the 120 lbs that I lost 5 yrs ago.
Would you be willing to journal your food daily into your journal here? I'll be able to give you feedback if you do.

Yes, coming to the boards daily and reading helps keep us into it. I made a promise to myself that I'd log my food daily into my journal and that did help me a whole lot. It was my accountability.

Keep coming back!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 12:06
Shrinking Member

This is a typical day for me, before starting back on South Beach

Breakfast

Atkins Bar

lunch

Salad with grilled chicken, cesear dressing

salad consists of lettuce, raw veggies sometimes a few beans

Dinner

Meat (chicken, beef, or pork)
vegetable or salad

I was also having a small non fat, no sugar added frozen yogurt with almonds most days

I tracked my calories and I was always between 1100-1500 per day
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 12:19
Shrinking Member

Breakfast

Atkins Bar

lunch

Dinner

vegetable or salad

I was also having a small non fat, no sugar added frozen yogurt with almonds most days.

Since starting SouthBeach

Breakfast

non fat greek yogurt with splenda or scrambled eggs with veggies

Snack

nuts usually almonds or pistachios

Lunch

Again, salad with grilled chicken

Snack

raw veggies, string cheese, hummus

Dinner

Chicken or beef, veggies and salad

Dessert

SF Jello or SF pudding or SF fudgicle

The one thing that did change from when I was losing to gaining was that I used to walk almost every day. I am now babysitting my 8 month old grandaughter and working and by the end of the day I was too tired to walk. The last week I did manage to walk three times. I did finally notice a small loss this morning. I can't believe that I can literally gain weight over night but it is sooo dang hard to lose an ounce!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 12:49
Shrinking Member

susanne, that is the reason I am trying SB. After another week I am looking forward to changing things up by adding fruit and some healthy carbs.

Laywer, I did talk to my Doctor. She said the number one complaint she gets about menopause is weight gain. Apparently it is actually what our body is designed to do for some unknown reason.

But I have a renewed determination, to fight the weight gain on a daily basis.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 13:47

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Welcome back.
I've just restarted SB also. So you aren't alone there. I started back limited phase 2.

But I'm very limited to what I can do physically. So at the present I'm not active.

I've started logging my meals in my journal again. Every little step helps.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 15:52
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:

Breakfast

Atkins Bar

lunch

Dinner

vegetable or salad

I was also having a small non fat, no sugar added frozen yogurt with almonds most days.

Its not too bad other than that atkins bar for your breakfast daily.
Thats actually too little calories for you.

Quote:
Since starting SouthBeach

Breakfast

non fat greek yogurt(how much?) with splenda or scrambled eggs(how many eggs? with veggies

Snack

nuts usually almonds or pistachios ( how many?)
Lunch

Again, salad with grilled chicken

Snack

raw veggies, string cheese, hummus( quantities of cheese and hummus please?)
Dinner

Chicken or beef, veggies and salad
Dessert

SF Jello or SF pudding or SF fudgicle

Quote:
The one thing that did change from when I was losing to gaining was that I used to walk almost every day. I am now babysitting my 8 month old grandaughter and working and by the end of the day I was too tired to walk. The last week I did manage to walk three times. I did finally notice a small loss this morning. I can't believe that I can literally gain weight over night but it is sooo dang hard to lose an ounce!

When you babysit, can you put her in stroller and take her for a walk with you?
One thing I know for sure is that if I did/do not walk daily, I'd have regained my weight by now.
Good that you saw a loss this morning.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 17:37
Shrinking Member

Judy, thanks for your help. I usually eat one 6 oz greek yogurt with splenda. When I have eggs, its usually two eggs with one or two additional egg whites & I throw in whatever veggie I had the night before (aspargas or zuccini). As far as the nuts, those are a weakness of mine, I start out with the recommended 12 almonds or 30 pistachios, but I must admit I have had a couple of extra servings this week. As far as the cheese I usually have a serving of low fat string cheese. The quantity of Hummus is probably a third of a 10 ounce container.

As far as going for a walk with the baby, unfortunately I am working at the same time. I do the accounting for a company and fortunately I telecommute, so even though I am home, I really am still working. I am making more of an effort to walk this week because I am begining to think that that is the key. Too bad I really don't enjoy it, I really wish I did. I am looking forward to next week when I can add a piece of fruit!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 17:48
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Judy, thanks for your help. I usually eat one 6 oz greek yogurt with splenda. When I have eggs, its usually two eggs with one or two additional egg whites & I throw in whatever veggie I had the night before (aspargas or zuccini). As far as the nuts, those are a weakness of mine, I start out with the recommended 12 almonds or 30 pistachios, but I must admit I have had a couple of extra servings this week. As far as the cheese I usually have a serving of low fat string cheese. The quantity of Hummus is probably a third of a 10 ounce container.

As I'm sure you know, portion control is key in foods like nuts. So, if you find that you are overdoing it on them, would you be willing to avoid them for a while, just for now while you get some weight off or until you feel better about controlling your portions?

Quote:
As far as going for a walk with the baby, unfortunately I am working at the same time. I do the accounting for a company and fortunately I telecommute, so even though I am home, I really am still working. I am making more of an effort to walk this week because I am begining to think that that is the key. Too bad I really don't enjoy it, I really wish I did. I am looking forward to next week when I can add a piece of fruit!

Lucky you to telecommute!!
Can you carve out 2 breaks a day for 20-30 minutes each time? Just moving your body at all is key to helping your lymphatic system drain.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 18:29
Shrinking Member

Thats the plan! I am counting out my nuts, putting them in bags and out of reach. Also I am gong to try to walk most days. I am hoping I can stick with it.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 180/175/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Starting again, too

Hi!

Well here I am again...starting over I seem to start a diet daily and make it to noon. I find that breakfast is my hardest meal to eat low carb, because I crave carbs in the AM. The crunch of cereal or a muffin.

Patty, I put you on my buddy list. We are same height and weight! I've already gone through menopause...but does it really end? LOL (according to some 85 yo women I know, it doesn't)

I want to do this! I know I can!

Thank you to all in the forum for great information and support!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 20:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi everyone,

I have recently begun the SBD. I'm looking forward to the support this forum offers, as it is always nice to know that you are not alone and others are pulling for you to succeed! The official welcome thread hadn't been updated in about 2 years so I hope this is an appropriate place??

To give a bit of background.... I'm pretty young, almost 22, so I'm hoping that will be in my favor. I've always been a thin girl, but about 6 months of stress before I graduated college this past May added about 25 unwanted pounds I've never been truly overweight (although stupidly always thought I was!), so it's depressing for me to deal with.

Sweets are definitely my downfall. Keep the pizza and chips, just give me the chocolate! However, I've begun week 2 of Phase 1 today, and so far so good!

I'm sticking with the food lists well... I admit I pop a number of mints throughout the day which add up quicker than I probably think, but besides that, I think I'm doing well so far.

Really just looking for support and reinforcement that it IS possible to lose this awful weight and be myself again! And I'm so willing to support everyone as well, I'm pretty good at inspiring, just sayin...

Thanks for reading this!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 22:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrd07
Hi everyone,

I have recently begun the SBD. I'm looking forward to the support this forum offers, as it is always nice to know that you are not alone and others are pulling for you to succeed! The official welcome thread hadn't been updated in about 2 years so I hope this is an appropriate place??

To give a bit of background.... I'm pretty young, almost 22, so I'm hoping that will be in my favor. I've always been a thin girl, but about 6 months of stress before I graduated college this past May added about 25 unwanted pounds I've never been truly overweight (although stupidly always thought I was!), so it's depressing for me to deal with.

Sweets are definitely my downfall. Keep the pizza and chips, just give me the chocolate! However, I've begun week 2 of Phase 1 today, and so far so good!

I'm sticking with the food lists well... I admit I pop a number of mints throughout the day which add up quicker than I probably think, but besides that, I think I'm doing well so far.

Really just looking for support and reinforcement that it IS possible to lose this awful weight and be myself again! And I'm so willing to support everyone as well, I'm pretty good at inspiring, just sayin...

Thanks for reading this!

Hi and Welcome!

Lots of support all over this web site!
You are welcome to join us in our SBD weekly weighin.
Where are you in NYC? I'm in downtown Manhattan.

SBD is a great plan and as you follow it, you will lose the weight you want to get rid of. But please keep in mind that we all have to keep eating the way it shows us to eat to lose it. If we revert back to our old eating habits, we will gain it back. It has to become our way of eatingf for life.